hightor

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 04:06 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Then why isn't there concerted criticism from the left? Riddle me that Batman.

Ever try to herd cats? I'm not aware of consistent concerted criticism from any general area of the political spectrum. I've seen rightist criticism which is basically just recycled '50s anti-communism (beating a dead horse) but I haven't seen much from the Trump administration or conservatives in Congress, for that matter. Rather than castigate some amorphous "left" for what they aren't saying, why not find instances where someone on the left is defending China's repression of Hong Kong? That would be a lot more interesting and informative. Although you see it used by moralists on the right and the left I don't think criticism based on the "sin of omission" is all that insightful — or useful. Attacking people for what they say is more pertinent than attacking people for what they don't say.
Lash

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 05:58 am
Cheating Liz and her rich friends in Silicon Valley
https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2019/11/15/dark-money-group-promotes-elizabeth-warren-071133?__twitter_impression=true

A dark money group purchased an ad promoting Elizabeth Warren’s presidential campaign that ran in Iowa’s biggest paper this week — despite the candidate's opposition to outside big money groups.

The Des Moines Register ad on Wednesday was paid for by “Women.Vote,” a social welfare organization that does not have to reveal its donors. It boasted that “unlike most other candidates, Warren doesn’t take corporate or Super PAC money” and that “Warren will fight for everyday Iowans.” The Register did not immediately respond to a question whether the group had placed other ads previously.

While Women.Vote does not have to disclose its funders, a longtime Warren donor submitted paperwork to form the group in the fall of 2018, according to filings with the California Secretary of State. The donor, wealthy Silicon Valley doctor Karla Jurvetson, donated over $5 million to Democratic causes in 2018. She also helped Warren’s campaign pay for access to the Democratic Party’s voter file earlier this year, as Buzzfeed News reported.

Jurvetson and Women.Vote did not respond to requests for comment. Women.Vote did not appear to purchase any Facebook ads, according to Facebook’s ad archive. It’s unclear whether the group has run other ads in other newspapers.

The Warren campaign said it did not know about the ad and asked for the people behind it to stop. Spokesperson Chris Hayden said that the “campaign was not aware of this and asks that those involved immediately stop purchasing advertisements of any kind. Elizabeth Warren believes democracy is undermined by anonymous, dark-money attempts to influence voters — whether that influence is meant to help or hurt her candidacy.”

Warren has sworn off private fundraisers during her presidential campaign and has used that pledge to try to reinforce her central campaign theme of fighting Washington corruption and the influence of money. Faced with financial challenges, other candidates including former Vice President Joe Biden and former Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick have signaled they would not oppose an outside Super PAC group helping their candidacies.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 09:07 am
In today's NY Times:

Quote:
DES MOINES — Pete Buttigieg continues to surge in Iowa, leapfrogging Senator Elizabeth Warren and former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. to hold a commanding lead among likely Democratic caucusgoers, according to a new poll from The Des Moines Register and CNN.

The poll showed that Mr. Buttigieg, the 37-year-old mayor of South Bend, Ind., was the first choice for 25 percent of would-be Democratic caucusgoers, a significant increase from the 9 percent he held in September, when The Register last polled the state. The support placed him far ahead of the rest of the field — with the other three top candidates in a virtual tie for second: Ms. Warren at 16 percent and Mr. Biden and Senator Bernie Sanders at 15 percent.

Really don't know how much these early polls mean but they do show movement; both Warren and Biden have lost support.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 09:18 am
I see that Dem John Edwards yesterday won re-election as governor in Louisiana despite Trump's pleas that he not be embarrassed again.

With any luck at all, Republicans will continue to disregard the warning signs.
oralloy

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 09:25 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Ever try to herd cats?

You don't herd cats. You lead them. If they love you, they will follow you.
blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 10:07 am
Quote:
The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?
32 journalists, wonks, activists and politicians on the party’s dramatic turn — and what it means for 2020
WP

Posted FWIW. Lots of opinions. Value varies.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 10:10 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
hightor wrote:
Ever try to herd cats?

You don't herd cats. You lead them. If they love you, they will follow you.
That's like minding mice at a crossroads
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:01 am
@blatham,
Quote:
With any luck at all, Republicans will continue to disregard the warning signs.

Quote:
House Minority Whip Steve Scalise said on Sunday President Donald Trump doesn’t "look bad" in the wake of Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards narrow reelection victory over Trump-backed Republican businessman Eddie Rispone in Louisiana.

“What he said was he’d be made to look bad whether he came in the state or not,” Scalise said on “Fox News Sunday.” “Eddie Rispone made up a 22-point disadvantage over the last month because of President Trump’s involvement. … Clearly, President Trump’s involvement made a big difference at helping close that massive gap.”
Politico

Of course, Scalise is trying to do damage control here. Fox, if they mention the electoral loss, will forward the same sort of nonsense. Likewise other GOPer and allied voices.

But unless something very weird happens in the next year, they're all stuck with Trump. Their hope is that he won't pull them all down with him. But that he will is their most urgent fear.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:19 am
@hightor,
We found unanimous condemnation in the case of Apartheid. Was that so much worse than what is going on in China?
snood

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
How long did Ronald Reagan resist condemning apartheid before he became part of the “unanimous condemnation “?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
We found unanimous condemnation in the case of Apartheid. Was that so much worse than what is going on in China?
Yes, it was much, much worse and of far longer duration than what has so far happened in Hong Kong.

But why bring up this as analogous? There has been daily media coverage of events in Hong Kong since the protests began. I've seen no opinions from anyone supporting China's position and actions. Expressing doubts as to whether the protests are evolving in a manner that will work in the protesters' favor is not an attack on their goals and aims. Pointing out that the Chinese usually don't mess about when confronted with "counter-revolutionary" sentiment is merely to reflect reality.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 11:54 am
Quote:
The New York Times
@nytimes
3m
Hong Kong police threatened to use lethal force to arrest anyone who doesn't surrender at a nearly 24-hour standoff at a besieged university.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 12:02 pm
There will likely be a breaking point in the Chinese government's restraint. My emotions are with the protestors, I wish there was a different tactic available to them.
Lash

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 12:40 pm
I cannot stand to feel too confident about something important to me and I am definitely starting to feel confident about something important to me.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 12:50 pm
@Lash,
Republicism?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 02:32 pm
pete buttigieg is a republican
@proustmalone
·
5h
The ACA was also called a “path to single payer.” Ten years later, Democrats are still shaming us for demanding we get there.

Now they’re selling us a fresh batch of “pathway” approaches. These are losing plans that work to protect the insurance industry.

Don’t fall for it.
hightor

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 03:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The ACA was also called a “path to single payer.”

And it might have come to pass had the Democrats been able to hold onto their majority in Congress. The Tea Party ended that dream in 2010. And don't think that conservatives won't be able to rally the electorate to kill any attempt to directly establish a single payer system. Most voters aren't excited about the prospect of groundbreaking revolutionary change — it scares the crap out of them. The Republicans will fill the airwaves and the web with frightening political ads and the Dems will be doing their usual backpedaling act, having overestimated the eagerness of the electorate to support the expansion of government.

Quote:
Paul Begala, a Democratic strategist, argued that two factors — fund-raising demands and the effect of the social media on candidates and their staff — are turning the nomination contest into “some kind of purity game to see who can be the most leftist.” [yeah — like labeling Buttigieg and Warren(!) "Republicans"]

In the case of social media, Begala declared:

Democratic Twitter is dominated by overeducated, over-caffeinated, over-opinionated pain-in-the-ass white liberals. Every candidate, and every staffer, checks Twitter and other social media scores of times a day.

The second and more significant factor is what Begala described as the unintended consequences of “the obsession with small donors.” Democrats legitimately “want to break the stranglehold of big money,” Begala wrote, but

when the D.N.C. made accumulating small donors a centerpiece to debate eligibility among two dozen potential candidates, that’s when the unintended consequence kicked in. Small donors are often more motivated, more activist, more engaged, more ideological. In short, more leftist. They’re less likely to send in five bucks to a candidate who says, “I’m going to preserve Obamacare, maintain private insurance, and add a public option so anyone who wants to can join Medicare” — even though that’s where most Americans and most Democrats are.

Begala said he has

spoken with numerous state party officials and congressional campaigners who have traced the leftward lurch of the presidential candidates to the small donor problem. The tyranny of the small donor cannot be underestimated.

nyt

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 05:27 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Long time ago. Old news. He's even sharper than that now. He's Jim Croce murder ballad super blue blade sharp. I'd cross the street if I were you.

Jakiw Palij was a Hitlerian Nazi who managed to get to the US. When someone raised a ruckus you would have been there declaring

"Long time ago. Old news."
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 05:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Don't you think it more appropriate to ridicule the person accusing her of being the "bot?"
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2019 07:42 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Quote:
The ACA was also called a "path to single payer."

And it might have come to pass had the Democrats been able to hold onto their majority in Congress.

Progressives tend to use the term single payer to refer to all sorts of programs that are not single payer.

The only likely way that ACA could have realistically transitioned to single payer would have been if progressives had wrongly referred to something as single payer even though it was nothing of the sort.
0 Replies