Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 12:26 pm
@Baldimo,
But you do know, Baldimo, that Hong Kong is since 1997 officially Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China ?
Baldimo

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 12:34 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
But you do know, Baldimo, that Hong Kong is since 1997 officially Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China ?

Yes, although this makes zero difference to those who are protesting and why they are protesting. My roommate from military school and his brother were from Hong Kong, they still live there and I'm in constant contact with them as much as possible while all this is going on. They no longer want to be with China and the extradition law was the straw that broke the camels back. They want to be free to make their own choices and laws, and not be under the thumb of China.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:24 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
If you were pro-liberty and pro freedom, you would be rooting for the people of Hong Kong, not wondering how it was going to end.

So says comrade Baldimo. No one should have to pass your ideological litmus test before being allowed to ask a neutral question.
Quote:
What else do you think the plan is, to become slaves to communist China?

The point is, you of limited insight, that the demonstrators don't want to be controlled by the government in Beijing. Since the movement is basically one of unarmed civilians facing a brutal state which shows no sign of allowing them increased autonomy the situation doesn't look particularly promising for the sort of freedom which might follow independence. So what options do they have — that's the question I'm posing.
Quote:
I'm sure they are willing to fight to the death for liberty and freedom.

Yes, that worked out so well in Tiananmen Square.
Quote:
They want to be free of influence from China, they want to vote and determine how their country will work without communism trying to silence them. They don't want "social scores" to determine who can fly on a plane and who has to take a train.

Sure, that's their point, always has been. But that still leaves the question as to how this will be achieved. Strategy is part of the endgame, you know.
Quote:
Unlike you, whom it seems would choose safety over liberty, they think it's worth fighting and dying for. What about that don't you understand?

What you don't seem to understand is that demonstrations and political protests are of limited effectiveness if the sides are as unevenly matched as we see in Hong Kong. It's not as if the Chinese state feels any compunction about violating the limited rights of its citizens as expressed in the Chinese constitution. The Selma demonstrators faced bloody police repression but the US government and a majority of citizens supported the civil rights movement. With the lack of press freedom and the constant barrage of state propaganda, mainland Chinese are more likely to support the police and (if it comes to this) the PLA over the forces of "hooliganism".
Quote:
China is not a capitalist state, they are a communist state.

In your limited and literalist imagination this may be so but the Chinese state turned its back on communism in the '80s.
Quote:
From the sounds of it, you would rather they stop protesting and accept the communist rule to save their lives.

No. I'd hoped by now that the government of Hong Kong would have taken some steps to defuse the situation, but if they were to show any interest in compromise they'd certainly risk the wrath of Beijing. I don't see Beijing granting the city independence — do you? So the best that might be achieved is for the city government to meet with representatives of the demonstrators and possibly some neutral third party and have all three of them work out a settlement which reviews the terms of the '97 agreement and tries to preserve the bulk of the rights and freedoms under the "One Country Two Systems" understanding. The fact that this isn't happening is what led me to pose my questions in the first place.
Quote:
Liberty is worth dying for...

That totally depends on what "liberty" means. One thing is for sure — it won't be you or me dying, it will be the citizens of Hong Kong. And I believe those deaths will be in vain. Social movements which depend on martyrdom for inspiration have no place in civilized societies.
revelette3

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You're just carrying on an argument by yourself. I never meant to imply we needed evolve for those reasons. I meant to say there are other reasons people might find concerning about Buttigieg other than his sexuality. Move on.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:36 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
How will they enforce it? It is mandatory. That in itself is confiscation.

Hence the world impractical.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:37 pm
Jason C.
@Jasonfest
·
2h
Deval Patrick isn't going to be the last candidate to enter the Democratic primary.

The strategy is to deny Bernie Sanders the nomination by individually collecting delegates to use as bargaining chips at a contested convention. They don't need to run in every state this way.
hightor

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The strategy is to deny Bernie Sanders the nomination by individually collecting delegates to use as bargaining chips at a contested convention.

Not if he makes a sufficiently strong showing in the primaries. And if he doesn't, the party is fully within its rights to try to secure the strongest possible nominee. If Sanders is half as popular as you say he is he should be able to win outright.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:55 pm
@hightor,
But Bernie is the annointed one. He shouldent have to run. This us how Hillary cheated him out of the nomination before by getting more democratic votes than Bernie.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 01:56 pm
It will be interesting to see what incredible lengths liberals and the media will go to in an attempt to explain how Deval Patrick's involvement in Bain Capital is 180 degrees from Mitt Romney's. Wink
hightor

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 02:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
But on the “Meet Deval” section of his new campaign website touting his rise “From the South Side to the State House,” Patrick casts himself as a corporate reformer: “Deval has always been called to service, but that service has not always been in the public sector. He led reforms at Texaco, where a court appointed him to create a more equitable and inclusive workplace, and at Coca-Cola, where he stood up for employees and unions.” As for his service at Bain, helping launch Double Capital, Patrick’s website insists: “His life has always been about rejecting false choices, and his new fund was meant to show that private companies can be a force for public good.”

rs

The deval is in the details... Laughing
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It will be interesting to see what incredible lengths liberals and the media will go to in an attempt to explain how Deval Patrick's involvement in Bain Capital is 180 degrees from Mitt Romney's.

Has Deval Patrick ever said 40% of the voting public don't work and expect a handout?

Quote:
In his remarks, Romney used broad strokes to characterize millions of people who he said solidly support President Barack Obama.

"There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what," Romney said in the video. "All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that's an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2012/sep/18/mitt-romney/romney-says-47-percent-americans-pay-no-income-tax/
revelette3

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:18 pm
538 has a piece out on why Deval Patrick is making a bid to run, something about the democrat "Goldilocks syndrome."

Why Deval Patrick Is Making A Late Bid For The Democratic Nomination

With the impeachment and senate trial likely to go well into the democrat primary thereby dragging Biden even further into the muck, perhaps, he has a shot. I don't know.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:22 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
Has Deval Patrick ever said 40% of the voting public don't work and expect a handout?

It was 47%.
snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:25 pm
I’m thinking the donor class is already pretty entrenched. If he can’t woo them away and quickly, his chances are slim. I haven’t heard him speak much although I hear he can be very compelling. He won’t be in the November debate, and that would’ve been an opportunity to be seen. So unless he can get a lot of exposure and also qualify for the December debate, I don’t know what will make him a serious contender.
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:25 pm
@coldjoint,
pitiful
blatham

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:28 pm
From Paul Waldman
Quote:
What story is Deval Patrick selling?

Former Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick has joined the presidential race, a seemingly odd decision at this late date. Patrick is not a universally known and beloved figure, nor someone like Mike Bloomberg with unlimited resources to force his way into the thick of the contest.

Which raises the inevitable question: Why exactly is Patrick running?

I’d like to look at that question in the context of one particular issue and how it shapes not only this race but also the entire future of the Democratic Party and the country: income inequality. Or to put it another way: What do these candidates think the fundamental problem with the U.S. economy is?

This question is particularly acute for Patrick because, although he has long been thought of as a potentially strong presidential candidate, on economic issues his profile is not exactly built to warm the hearts of the Democratic base.

Patrick has spent his career moving between government and corporate positions, including some that are likely to raise uncomfortable questions among Democratic primary voters. After running the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department under President Bill Clinton, he joined the board of Ameriquest, one of the worst offenders among the subprime mortgage lenders who helped create the Great Recession. Patrick also worked as general counsel for Coca-Cola and Texaco — yes, he was an oil company executive.

And after leaving the governor’s mansion in 2015, Patrick went to Bain Capital, the private equity firm co-founded by Mitt Romney. You may remember that in 2012, Democrats absolutely savaged Romney over Bain’s business model, which often involves buying companies, stripping them for parts and then selling off what’s left at a profit. The attack was so brutally effective that “Saturday Night Live” mocked it with a skit.

It just so happens that among Elizabeth Warren’s economic proposals is one directly targeting private equity. It would impose a new set of requirements on firms like Bain, making it somewhat more difficult for them to still make large profits when the companies they buy go belly up. I can’t say what effect her bill would have on the economy as a whole, but it tells a stark morality tale, about vulture capitalists who line their pockets while ruining the lives of middle-class Americans. It would certainly be interesting to hear her and Patrick debate this.

This highlights both the policy and rhetorical difference between candidates like Warren and Bernie Sanders on one side, and candidates like Patrick, Joe Biden, and Pete Buttigieg on the other. All say they want to address inequality and promote the interests of the middle class. On Patrick’s website, his still-vague “Vision” section talks about “growing the economy out to working people and the marginalized, not just up to the well connected.” They all say they want to build an economy that works for everyone.

But when Warren and Sanders talk about inequality, they tell a story with villains. Inequality didn’t just happen, it’s the result of certain people getting their way, people whose power must be curbed and whose wealth must be aggressively taxed. Warren has a new ad going after billionaires, one you can’t imagine someone such as Patrick or even Joe Biden airing.

That’s true even if they have some policy proposals the capitalist class will find unappealing. Biden, for instance, not only wants to raise the minimum wage but would strengthen unions and bar non-compete clauses that strip workers of power. But he also says, “I don't think 500 billionaires are the reason why we're in trouble,” adding that "I get into a lot of trouble with my party when I say that wealthy Americans are just as patriotic as poor folks."

A pessimist (or a cynic) might say that ambitious proposals like a wealth tax will never get through Congress anyway, which means that in the end a President Warren will probably end up where a President Biden would begin, with some relatively modest tax increases on the wealthy used to fund more benefits and services aimed at lower- and middle-class people. That’s an entirely plausible scenario.

But it’s also true that as a political matter, the arguments made by the more moderate candidates either devolve into something anodyne or come off sounding, if not insincere, then at least unconvincing. When Patrick says, as he did on Thursday, “We’ve had a system where we have crowded and hoarded all of the benefits of our prosperity in a very, very few. This is what trickle-down economics looks like,” it’s hard not to respond, “I’m glad you feel that way, but don’t you work for Mitt Romney’s private equity firm? Doesn’t that make you the problem?”

The most passionate candidate isn’t always the one who wins, of course. It’s entirely possible that what the public is looking for is a nice fellow whose heart is basically in the right place and who can calm things down a bit. But at this point it’s hard to see Deval Patrick’s message — whatever it turns out to be — transforming the race.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 03:32 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
pitiful

You or Romney?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 04:18 pm
Just saw Patrick interviewed on Nicole Wallace’s show. She went right to two good questions. 1)Is your entry a statement that the Democratic field is deficient? And 2) How do you explain working for Bain Capital? He didn’t have a convincing answer for either. In fact, I was saying aloud “You’re not answering the question!” while I was watching. He’s going to have to do a LOT better answering those two questions (not to mention a few others) in order for me -and I bet a lot of others - to take his candidacy seriously .
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:08 pm
@revelette3,
What difference does that make?
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2019 05:27 pm
Headline from the Intercept

UNDER PRESSURE FROM LEFT, NEW JERSEY DEMOCRATS BACK OFF VOTE TO GUT MINIMUM WAGE LAW