BillW

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 10:59 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Wager now at $250 for any takers.

I heard they are talking with Jimmy Carter, he's still got 4 years......

After all, he is tRumps diametric opposite!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:06 pm
Yeah. Attention on Clinton is a distraction. She has no viable route to the WH even if she were to think so (and she ain't dumb).

Real Music

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I know she is playing people. I just don't know what she hopes to accomplish unless as Bill says, it's to make sure folks know she is available to be drafted. She's likely delusional enough to still hold on to the notion it's her turn.

1. I hope that none of the candidates who are seeking the democratic nomination are delusional enough to think that it's their turn.

2. Each one of them has to roll up their sleeves and get out there and earn the nomination.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:17 pm
She is playing some sort of game in all of this, with an end in mind. Whatever it is I don't see her as being able to sway the vote much these days.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2019 11:26 pm
Amazing. In all the attempts to stir up shyt around some cockamamie idea that Clinton’s going to jump in the race, who does Edgar see as the source of the game playing? Not Breitbart. Not Bernie supporters (God forbid!). Not any of the many individuals and entities that revel in, and would benefit from, any fissions or confusion in the Dem nomination contest. Only Hillary - big bad ole, evil scheming ole, not good for nothing Hillary.

Gotta give him points for consistency, I guess.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:31 am
@snood,
Her real name is Emmanuel Goldstein, and you are strongly encouraged to hate her.
Lash

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:32 am
@snood,
That stupid bitch is saying she is being pressured to enter the race.

SHE is stirring this **** up. Breitbart just reported it.

What kind of person is so desperate to avoid the truth that you completely look past that fact and attack the person reporting this fact??

It is a fact and it is Hillary Clinton going around floating the possibility so that she and her corrupt cabal of vipers can see if there’s enough interest to lose to trump yet again.

Why do you always deny what Clinton is doing?

All major media outlets have it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 01:46 am
@blatham,
She’s psychotic. She’s living in an alternative universe in her own head.

She’s absolutely floating this idea, and taunting Trump not to tempt her to run. Of course, he says come on in. Her entry in the race would ensure a Trump win. Maybe Hillary can once again save an improbable trump victory. You Centrists need to take a look at this woman, hear the words that are coming out if this woman, and admit what she is.
blatham

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 04:36 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Her real name is Emmanuel Goldstein, and you are strongly encouraged to hate her.
This fellow gets it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 04:48 am
@Lash,
So, want to go $250 or $500? We can each send the funds to a third party (edgar, for example) and then he can send that pot to whoever has this right.

BillW

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 04:58 am
Make America Great Again, how? (Now, nobody get themselves all up in a dither; it is only a rhetorical question.)
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 05:58 am
Not exactly on topic but...

How is the situation in Hong Kong going to end? What's the plan? How much more damage can the protests do to the economy of the city? How many more protestors will die? As it is now, they're basically begging for a heavy-handed crackdown by Beijing. What's the endgame?

There seems to be some sort of collective death wish. It doesn't seem rational.
Lash

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 06:17 am
@blatham,
I have no idea what you want to bet on.

The fact that she’s traveling around telling interviewers that she’s under pressure to run?

$500.
blatham

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 06:20 am
@hightor,
It's a hell of a good question.

I'm surprised that China hasn't yet gone heavy-handed/murderous. But that they haven't suggests they don't see this as anything like an easy solution.

All the video we're seeing of the conflict shows how many individuals are filming all these incidents with their phones and digital devices. That's a clear difference from the Tiananmen case and certainly makes China's potential moves much more complex. It seems pretty certain that the protesters are counting on this to constrain Chinese actions.

There was some press coverage I read earlier suggesting that the younger (student) component is now being supported by middle-aged professionals. I gather that is a consequence of Hong Kong's traditions of independence and, of course, Chinese promises to maintain/permit a relatively high level of independence. If that's accurate, this doesn't make China's attempts to run the place as they'd like any easier.

My personal response to the more extreme acts of defiance (fire-bombs, property destruction) has been, "you dummies!". Such acts seem to me to play right into China's propaganda needs in a way that non-violence doesn't. One would actually expect Chinese agitprop agents to do this while pretending to be part of the protest. But mostly, these are young people with the typical perception that they are invincible.

I don't know how this turns out but it is encouraging that the protesters haven't been crushed under the treads of tanks yet.
blatham

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 06:32 am
@Lash,
That she won't run.

Undoubtedly, she is being told to run by some who support her just as others (Patrick, Bloomberg and surely more) are being told to jump in. At this late point, it would be very difficult to impossible, I think, for any to mount a competitive charge but there is obviously some significant contingent on the left who are not comfortable with the present candidates, particularly Sanders and Warren. A lot of people are making a lot of money with things as they are and both candidates clearly pose a threat to those people. That's part of what's going on.

Another part is fears that a progressive candidate risks another Trump win. I don't buy that but acknowledge I might have it wrong.

Another aspect is the typical Dem anxiety that is at least partly an inevitable consequence of diversity of opinions and goals within the left community. Diversity makes it more difficult to develop unity.

And a final element here is the continued use of Hillary in the manner smartly stated above - to promote disunity on the left through throwing her name up over and over and over as an Orwellian device to direct anger and hatred.
blatham

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 06:46 am
@hightor,
Here's a Hong Kong photo I just pulled off twitter demonstrating that no matter how tough things might get, the pizza guy will try to get to you

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJN8zQSXkAAks_c?format=jpg&name=900x900
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 06:54 am
@blatham,
The dystopian politics of the day makes virtually anything possible.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 07:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Thanks, Vlad.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2019 09:01 am
Quote:
Shannon
@Thestagmania

1) Warren drops M4A finance plan

2) Berners accuse her of changing bill and attack