snood

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 06:42 am
Riddle me this:

How can someone on the one hand make offended noises in protest of inappropriate speech, unprincipled attacks and trafficking in baseless conspiracy theories ...

And on the other hand, support and defend Donald Trump?
revelette3

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:41 am
Quote:
Warren opens up 7-point lead over Biden nationally: poll

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) has opened up a 7-point lead in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Thursday.

Twenty-eight percent of Democrats and independent voters who lean Democratic say they intend to support Warren, while 21 percent say they will back former Vice President Joe Biden and 15 percent say they'll support Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

South Bend, Ind. Mayor Pete Buttigieg is the only other candidate to break double digits, coming in at 10 percent.

While Warren's support slipped 2 percentage points since earlier this month, Biden fell 6 points and Sanders added 4 points from the last poll.

Warren's lead is buoyed by advantages among some of her key demographics — she has a 33-point lead among voters who identify as "very" liberal, a 5-point lead among whites, a 15-point lead among those with a college degree and a 7-point lead among voters between the ages of 18 and 34.

Biden, meanwhile, holds a 19-point lead among voters who identify as moderate or conservative, an 8-point lead among men and those without college degrees and a whopping 38-point lead among black voters.

Warren also appears to be capitalizing on her "I have a plan for that" playbook, with 30 percent of voters saying she has the best ideas. Twenty percent of respondents said the same about Sanders while 15 percent said the same about Biden.

Despite Biden's overall drop, he is still viewed as the candidate with the best shot at beating President Trump, with 42 percent of Democratic and Democratic-leaning votes saying he has the best chance of unseating the president, compared with 20 percent for Warren and 14 percent for Sanders.

The latest poll is one of several showing Warren atop the 2020 Democratic primary with Biden and Sanders jostling for second place. However, the survey still shows that Biden's electability argument could still appeal to voters as he campaigns across the country and says he will beat Trump "like a drum."

The Quinnipiac University poll surveyed 713 Democratic voters and independent voters who lean Democratic Oct. 17-21 and has a margin of error of 4.6 percent.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/warren-opens-up-7-point-lead-over-biden-nationally-poll/ar-AAJhdoN?ocid=spartandhp
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 07:52 am
@snood,
That's the same pattern as Trump's defence mechanism: psychological projection.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 08:09 am
Cody Johnston
@drmistercody
·
19h
Biden SURGES in poll conducted at The Olive Garden's 4pm dinner special.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 08:31 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
That's the same pattern as Trump's defence mechanism: psychological projection.

Yup yup yup but...
Quote:
Psychological projection is a defense mechanism people subconsciously employ in order to cope with difficult feelings or emotions. Psychological projection involves projecting undesirable feelings or emotions onto someone else, rather than admitting to or dealing with the unwanted feelings

With Trump (as with many other sociopaths) this behavior may well be quite consciously decided upon. "Never defend. Always attack" is a version of the thing.

In such cases, the goal or function isn't to merely avoid psychological discomfort. It is or can be to consciously avoid very real external consequences of the act, such as jail or fines or other such social penalties.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 09:04 am
Sometimes, rather too often, murderous urges arise in my noggin.
Quote:
Joe Cirincione
@Cirincione
For months, @nytimes put stories of Hillary Clinton’s email on its front pages. The final investigative report clearing all of wrongdoing? That is on page 16 today.
Quote:
State Dept. Inquiry Into Clinton Emails Finds No Deliberate Mishandling of Classified Information
hightor

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 09:22 am
@blatham,
And you know that "Hillary's e-mail scandal" will remain a Republican talking point well into the middle of this century until overpopulation, rising sea levels, and global degradation of the environment finally begin to enter public awareness.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 09:34 am
@hightor,
Lock her up - that will last forever, too.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 09:35 am
@hightor,
Yes it will. And we can probably count on the NYT to breathlessly fill us in on the latest iteration of those dramatic charges against her email habits.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 12:49 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Cue up the wailing violins — so that makes her immune from criticism? A veteran can be wrong. A patriot can be misguided. There's nothing about serving one's country overseas that gives someone a lifetime license to spew any opinion and have it taken seriously.

Not that you will or should care but I have to say I am very disappointed in your response to the shameful calumny directed at Gabbard.

I happen to agree with you 100% concerning "criticism" of a military veteran and I have expressed the same view previously in this forum.

Gabbard's service hasn't earned her immunity from criticism of her views, her statements, or her actions. What it should earn her though is a presumption that she is a patriot. Acting as a collaborative Russian Asset; in accordance with the furtherance of Russian interests is treason. Treason is, perhaps, the most heinous of non-violent crimes. No one should be accused of treason without substantive evidence of their treachery and least of all someone who has put all they have at risk to serve the nation they are accused of betraying.

Please spare me any disingenuous nonsense about Clinton alleging she is an unwitting asset. You don't groom a dupe.

Progressives, and their members in the Democrat party, apparently have decided to add traitor to their favored stock of epithets. Right now they seem to be in the focus group testing stage and prefer to employ the euphemistic "Russian Asset" or "Putin Asset," but just as "prejudiced" and "intolerant" led to "racist" and racist led to neo-Nazi and White Supremacist, "XXXX Asset" will lead to traitor. It obviously already has with President Trump, but as we all know he really is a traitor, so that's OK.

Anyone arguing that these attacks against Gabbard are merely political fastballs has forfeited any right to express outrage over anything any Republican (including Trump) says about anyone. Everything and anything spewed by a Tribal Elder need not and should not be defended.

Donald Trump had every reason and right to consider John McCain a political enemy, and while the liberal media saw his opposition to the president as heroic (McCain foolishly spent much of his political career courting the approval of the liberal news media - even after they predictably turned on him when he ran for POTUS) a great many Republicans saw it as petty and driven by a bitter personal animus towards a crude upstart who refused to defer to him. Nevertheless...Trump's questioning McCain's courage during his Vietnam service was reprehensible, and I expressed that view at the time.

I would feel better about Democrats and progressives if they all flatly condemned Clinton's slander, and many have, but I certainly appreciate the reluctance and difficulty in criticizing a Tribal Elder and understand why many might feel the need to duck the matter. What I find so objectionable are the widespread attempts to somehow excuse Clinton's accusation or reframe it in a way that masks its clear meaning and intent. What I find loathsome are those who have echoed and amplified it, and without offering any more evidence than the Clinton hag did, which is to say none.

Let's keep in mind that the defamation is being directed not at Donald Trump, Mitch McConnel or anyone Democrats can legitimately consider political enemies Tulsi Gabbard is a progressive Democrat. She had the temerity to endorse Bernie Sanders over Clinton in 2016 and The Hag never forgets being wronged. Clinton is not running in 2020 (at least not yet) and if she was, Gabbard would be no threat to her chances (although with this magilla she could be). I can't tell who Clinton's favorite candidate is, but she will never support anyone who isn't in the top tier and those who are in that position have nothing to fear from Gabbard.

Gabbard had previously announced she would not run as a 3rd Party Candidate and no one has offered any evidence to suggest that prior to the Hag's attack she had changed her mind.

No matter how you slice it, and how cynical you may want to be, there is nothing to be gained in terms of the politics of the 2020 presidential race to justify these attacks (Clinton is not alone with them).

This was Clinton happily settling an old score with someone she despises for not supporting her. It is a message from the Democratic wing of the DC Establishment that has for decades been a vital partner in America's Military-Industrial Complex: Don't mess with militaristic foreign policy!

The Republican wing has sent the same message to Donald Trump. Does anyone really think that Mitch McConnell, Lindsay Graham, et al give a good God damn about the Kurds in Syria? If you want to see a living embodiment of the Republican Establishment you need to look no further than the Bush Family. Poppy and his son George both gave us Middle East wars although at least Poppy was wise enough to allow Colin Powell to run his. Poppy screwed the Iraqi Kurds far worse than Trump has screwed their Syrian brethren but was there a hue and cry among Republicans on the Hill at the time? Nope, and guess what? The screwed Kurds let bygones be bygones and joined us in W's war against Saddam. Does anyone think that the situation of the Iraqi Kurds had any bearing on Obama's decision to withdraw? If our withdrawal meant significantly increased danger for the Iraqi Kurds, we would have still left and the Kurds would have been screwed a second time in Iraq.

I've no doubt our fighting men and women on the ground in Syria care deeply about a betrayal of the Kurds they have fought with side by side, but the Pentagon brass and the DC Establishment? Please.

A difference for the Military-Industrial Complex between this comparatively puny withdrawal from Syria and the much more significant one from Iraq is Hillary Clinton. HRC was giddy over getting to display her chops in Libya and while I'm not suggesting she and not Barrack Obama ran US foreign policy during their time together, it's pretty tough to discount her influence. Despite his campaign promises, by the time he left office, neither the Afghan War nor our military involvement in Iraq had come to an end, and there was active US military involvement in Libya, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, and Syria.

A difference is that Trump is unpredictable, fundamentally a non-interventionist, and bound and determined to make good on all of his campaign promises. So when he signaled that he was content with turning over the Syria mess to those who wanted a war, the GOP Establishment wing of the MIC went into action.

Tulsi Gabbard is not going to become POTUS, but her non-interventionist view resonates with Americans both Republican and Democratic. The politicians and generals are always far more keen on going to war than the American people and the MIC doesn't need Republican and Democrats, in any way, teaming up to move toward isolation, so it wouldn't be surprising if, with the help of an old friend with a personal grudge, it chose Gabbard to make an example of.

Would Putin love to see the US retreat from the world stage into Fortress America First? Of course, he would, but just as Gabbard's military service doesn't render her immune from criticism, neither does the fact that her views on foreign policy might be to Russia's short term advantage render her a Russian Asset, Putin Stooge, or traitor.

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 01:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Please spare me any disingenuous nonsense about Clinton alleging she is an unwitting asset. You don't groom a dupe.
You are hereby spared

The New York Times ran this correction Wednesday night:
Quote:
“An earlier version of this article described incorrectly an element of Hillary Clinton’s recent comments about Representative Tulsi Gabbard. While Mrs. Clinton said that a Democratic presidential candidate was ‘the favorite of the Russians,’ and an aide later confirmed the reference was to Ms. Gabbard, Mrs. Clinton’s remark about the ‘grooming’ of a third-party candidate in the 2020 race was in response to a question about the Republicans’ strategy, not about Russian intervention.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 01:57 pm
I'm totally bored with the email ****, especially when knowing it's abused both by reds and blues any time they take a notion to.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I told you, edgar. Bernie should have run as an Independent. Now he's gone and dirtied his fine name by tying himself to the vile blues simply for electoral convenience.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:18 pm
This is particularly special.
Quote:
White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham just declared that Wednesday’s lawless antics — in which House Republicans stormed a committee room to disrupt the proceedings, possibly creating national security risks — constituted a “bold stand," and that it pleased Trump.
Greg Sargent

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:20 pm
@blatham,
He has always worked with Democrats his entire career. I don't get the criticism he receives.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was a joke. He obviously had no other viable path. But who he worked with through his entire career ought to alert you to something.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:36 pm
This is a Fox guy. But let's wait and see.

Charles Gasparino
@CGasparino
SCOOP:
@TulsiGabbard
breaks bread with Wall Street fat cats at @huntandfishnyc
; event sponsored by Dem fundraiser @robertwolf32
as she is said to weigh third-party run more now @FoxBusiness@TeamCavuto
dotcom story to come
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:37 pm
@blatham,
I haven't been reading much of the thread today. If I missed something significant, sorry.
blatham

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 02:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not to worry.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 24 Oct, 2019 03:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Note the NYT's correction posted by blatham.

Sorry that my response disappointed you; I appreciate your taking the time to elaborate on your views.

Jeez, I can't quite wrap my brain around this "controversy" — I just don't see why such a big deal is being made of it. Gabbard lost me when she began attributing her poor showing to the machinations of some secret cabal of establishment Democrats, became a regular on Fox, and received a tentative endorsement from our own Comrade Baldimo.

By the way, I would never accuse her of being a "traitor", but if I've "forfeited any right to express outrage over anything any Republican (including Trump) says about anyone" so be it. I can still post stuff on music threads and contribute advice to the lovelorn.
0 Replies