blatham

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 10:13 am
Interesting posts above. I haven't previously seen this set of notions on Biden coalesce as it has. He's never been my choice for reasons you guys are pointing to. Perhaps such sentiments are arising now given his odd staying power in the polls and as the possibility of his nomination presses closer.

And I'm curious to see how things shape up over the next few weeks. Is what we see here also happening more broadly? I do see signs of it with the political writers I attend to.

Edit: Let me add, as Hightor said above, I too am not at all confident that Biden will handle Trump competently. That's a serious worry for me. I might have this wrong but I suspect almost any other candidate would do better. So that adds to concerns many of us have about how he'll perform in office and whether he has the capacity/potential to really re-direct US politics.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 10:28 am
Most have been assaulted by racist acts and beliefs from early childhood to the present. It's very hard for a person to gain and maintain perspective, living in a country that exudes racism in every form. People who mentally divide humans into races are often aware that scientifically we are one, but when society proclaims otherwise, it presents us with often illogical choices. Sometimes the best of us make mistakes. As lash points out, we have to be self-examining enough to catch ourselves before the consequences can kick in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 10:30 am
I can't see Biden being on his feet for a full campaign. Stay at home and read a monitor would be his "strong" suit.
blatham

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, he could also listen to his records.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 10:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
They know enough about the world they live in to call bullshit on that noise.

I’ll be sure to tell them what you said, though. Haha.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 10:47 am
Ed Kilgore with an excellent piece on the stupidity of Dem candidates failing to address abortion and court appointments NYMag
revelette1

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 11:49 am
@blatham,
Twisted Evil
revelette1

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 11:52 am
@blatham,
Unfortunately I agree concerning Biden and it is worrisome for 2020.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 11:54 am
@blatham,
However, Bernie has been forceful in defending abortion rights whenever it comes up.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
You can’t handle being wrong, eh?

It did not single out a person for retribution.
revelette1

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:28 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I posted this in a couple places so I can get your responses.

Joe Biden just effectively wrote his resignation letter to me in his quest for the nomination.

I believe we need someone who can be blatantly anti-racist to stand against the white nationalist dupe in the White House.

He was asked how, at the 400-year anniversary of the chattel slavery of black people in this country, our country can best address the legacy of slavery. Joe Biden answered to the effect that black parenting needs to improve, and that
black children need to have more books read to them and more music played to them ( on “record-players”, no less).

His answer showed me clearly something that I’ve suspected all along about Joe, but sort of ignored because I want to beat Trump so badly and was buying into electability arguments. Joe is NOT a racist in the insidious and evil sense, but he is just not equipped to grapple openly with the structural, institutional racism that continuously corrodes our society.

Forty years ago, when he was asked about the legacy of slavery, he basically answered that he wasn’t responsible for that. And 40 years later when asked how to address the legacy of slavery, he says black people need help parenting. That is not anti-racist. That is the benign sort of go-along-to-get-along folksy stuff that would leave Donald Trump’s coddling of white supremacy and white nationalism unaddressed.

Trump’s racism is too central to what the fight is about to leave it effectively unaddressed.

My list right now is basically Warren, Harris, Bernie (and less so, Pete and Beto).

The list is getting too long to be ignored. If it came down to Biden and Trump, of course I would pick Biden rather than a third party or write someone in or stay home; but he is on the last of the candidates for me and that is coming around from the beginning of the 2016 race when I wished for everything I was worth for Biden to run.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 12:38 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You can’t handle being wrong, eh?

It did not single out a person for retribution.

No, it just clearly argued that Goldwater would blow up the world...and your little kids.

This insistence on arguing that one thing is 2% worse than the other is tiresome.
Lash

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Avoiding the distinct difference in the two is disingenuous.

One is an overblown bit of propaganda, aimed at wrecking a guy’s chances for election.

They burned a picture of AOC’s face while comparing her to Pol Pot. There are already crazies threatening to kill her. That ad threw fuel on that fire.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 01:59 pm
@Lash,
Again...Yawn
snood

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 02:28 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Do you not buy that any of the rhetoric and images the right uses are inciting violence?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 05:03 pm
@snood,
No more or less than I buy that any of the rhetoric and images the left uses are inciting violence.
snood

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 05:22 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I think that’s the same mindset that sees “fine people on both sides” at a klan rally; that can ignore every vile thing Trump says against people of color as inconsequential; that sees no correlation between the rise of Trump and the rise of violence by avowed white supremacists.

Where are the counterparts for these things on the left?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 05:28 pm
@snood,
And I think yours is the same tired nonsense that insists on claiming one tribe is significantly better than the other when it comes to political tactics.

Your insistence on peddling bullshit such as Trump seeing "fine people on both sides" at a "Klan rally" is why there is very, very rarely a reason to engage with you.

That and your insistence on calling people who disagree with you racists.
snood

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 05:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well, you’ve got me there. I do believe that not all republicans are racists, but that racists, misogynists and homophobes are more likely to be Republican. So yeah, I by and large see the liberal Democrat “tribe” as morally superior.

I do sometimes find myself at odds with people here who believe and think much as I do, but I know that’s harder to notice than the heated clashes.

You’re also right to point out that there are a few ( a VERY few) folks who I clash with here that I think are racist, and I say so.

Of those, you are the one who chafes most bitterly against the adjective.

(And it should go without saying, but since you said so... I don’t see much value in exchanges with you, either.)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Sep, 2019 06:17 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Of those, you are the one who chafes most bitterly against the adjective.

Perhaps and if so, I don't mind because it is a cheap and lazy insult which you, seemingly, think you have the freedom to toss around because you are black, and if this comment proves to you I am a racist, so be it.

Just like your continuous bullshit about Trump and "some fine people"
0 Replies