Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 09:06 am
@blatham,
It's not rocket science. Sanders criticizes the system as a whole, not just the repukes, and thus he gets a lot of pushback from established corporate media, especially when owned by companies Sanders has taken issue with (such as Amazon' Besos, who owns WaPo)... Some are better at maintaining their balance than others, but by and large the coverage by corporate media tends to work against Sanders.

I'm not even bothered about it; it's perfectly natural to me. Everybodh has got biases.... it's only human. I just take whatever they say on Sanders with a grain of salt, and check the data myself if I have the time.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 09:36 am
Jimmy Carter returns to build homes for Habitat for Humanity after hip surgery
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 09:45 am
Jennifer🌹#Bernie2020
@teddy_cat1
·
23h
Remember when Sanders won all W Virginia counties and won Indiana, Michigan, Montana, Rhode Island & Vermont but DNC gave them ALL to Clinton?

His response? “We have to do everything that we can to elect Secretary Clinton!” and he campaigned for her.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 10:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Here is a deeper look at medical bankruptcy statistics. It's complicated, but it is clearly a significant problem. During the financial crisis, Obama has quoted figures TWICE AS LARGE AS BERNIE SANDERS' (1 million medical-related bankruptcies per year).

Quote:
Do Medical Bills Really Devastate America's Families?
BY KIMBERLY AMADEO, The Balance May 30, 2019

Medical bills were the biggest cause of U.S. bankruptcies, according to a CNBC report. It estimated that 2 million people were adversely affected. A popular Facebook meme said that 643,000 Americans go bankrupt each year due to medical costs. President Obama, in his 2009 State of the Union address, said that a medical bankruptcy occurred every 30 seconds. That's 1 million bankruptcies in a year.

Rising health care costs make these statistics seem credible. But why are they so different? And what is the actual impact of medical bankruptcies on the economy? Most importantly, what's the best way for you to avoid becoming one of those statistics?

Medical Bankruptcy Facts

One reason why the estimates are so different is that they were done in different years. Those years were following the Great Recession. As a result, bankruptcy rates of all kinds skyrocketed. Consumer bankruptcies rose from 775,344 in 2007 to 1.5 million in 2010. By 2017, they'd fallen to 767,721.

That's one reason why President Obama's estimate was so high. In 2009, there were 1.4 million bankruptcies. Obama based his calculation on a 2009 Harvard study coauthored by his assistant, Elizabeth Warren. It said 62.1 percent of all bankruptcies were because of medical bills. The researchers interviewed those who filed for bankruptcy between January and April 2007. It expanded medical causes to include:

Those who mortgaged a home to pay medical bills.Those who had medical bills greater than $1,000.People who lost at least two weeks of work due to illness.

Several scientists criticized the researchers for being too broad in including those last two reasons. 

Even so, Obama's calculations were a little high. Multiply 1.4 million bankruptcies by the Harvard study's 62.1 percent, and you get 877,372 bankruptcies created by medical bills.

In 2011, researchers Tal Gross and Matthew Notowidigbo found that out-of-pocket medical costs caused 26 percent of bankruptcies. Their study only looked at low-income debtors.

In 2013, two studies created wildly different conclusions. The most widely-reported was done by NerdWallet Health. The researchers based their estimates on the 2009 Harvard study. They excluded the bankruptcies due to job losses from medical problems. The researchers declared that 57.1 percent was more accurate.

Later that year, CNBC reported that NerdWallet found that medical bills caused 646,812 Americans to declare bankruptcy. CNBC extrapolated that to everyone in their household. The average household has three people, which translates to 2 million peopleaffected.  The Facebook meme summarized the same article to arrive at its estimate of 643,000 medical bankruptcies. The myth-buster Snopes used the study to disprove the Facebook meme.

Also in 2013, bankruptcy attorney Daniel A. Austin found that up to 26 percent of bankruptcies were primarily due to medical costs. He only counted large medical costs as a major of cause bankruptcy. These large costs were more than 50 percent of the respondent's total debt or more than 50 percent of his/her income. Total personal bankruptcies in 2013 were 1,038,720. Multiply 26 percent by total bankruptcies, and you get 270,067 bankruptcies.

In 2015, the Kaiser Family Foundation found that medical bills made 1 million adults declare bankruptcy. Its survey found that 26 percent of Americans age 18 to 64 struggled to pay medical bills. According to the U.S. Census, that's 52 million adults. The survey found that 2 percent, or 1 million, said they declared bankruptcy that year. 

In 2017, Debt.org found that people aged 55 and older account for 20 percent of total filings. That number has doubled since 1994. Even with assistance from Medicare, the average 65-year-old couple faces $275,000 in medical bills throughout retirement. 

Who to Believe

Researchers disagree on how many medical bills cause bankruptcies. The biggest problem in answering the question is that those filing for bankruptcy aren't required to state the reason. As a result, estimates are based on surveys. The methodology differs from study to study. It depends on how the researchers and the survey respondents define medical debt.  

Second, a variety of factors cause bankruptcies. Most people with medical debt have other debt. They may also have low income, little savings, and job losses. That makes it difficult to determine whether the bankruptcy was because of medical debt alone. For example, the Kaiser Family Foundation study found that only 3 percent said their bankruptcy was because of medical debt. But another 8 percent said it was because of a combination of medical and other debt.

It also found that the insured were a bit more likely to declare bankruptcy (3 percent) than the uninsured (1 percent). Most probably thought their insurance protected them from medical costs. They weren't prepared to pay for unexpected deductible and coinsurance costs. Almost a third weren't aware that a particular hospital or service wasn't part of their plan. One-in-four found that the insurance denied their claims. 

How did those with insurance wind up with so many bills? After high deductibles, co-insurance payments, and annual/lifetime limits, the insurance ran out. Other companies denied claims or just canceled the insurance. [...]

https://www.thebalance.com/medical-bankruptcy-statistics-4154729

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:00 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Tide is a detergent trademark...
Duh. Thank you. Missed it entirely.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:05 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
(such as Amazon' Besos, who owns WaPo)
Greg Sargent, who has the Plumline Blog at WP, is a friend of mine. When Bezos picked up the paper we were both concerned that he might use that ownership improperly (though there was no prior indication he would). Over the first year or two of this new ownership, I made several inquiries of Greg as to whether he had seen any hint of mis-use. He said everything seemed very hands-off. FWIW.
blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Jimmy Carter returns to build homes for Habitat for Humanity after hip surgery
He is truly an amazing fellow. That so many on the right still take any opportunity to slag him - even Evangelicals! - says nothing good about that crowd.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:11 pm
@blatham,
Thanks for that.
When reading the WP, I have at times compared statements/reportings with other print media and found them to be good at presenting facts properly. Saving opinions for non-news items. Other media outlets could use them as an example.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:20 pm
@blatham,
Evidently. If anything, Bezos is smart enough to avoid gross interference. He invested good money in WaPo, and tampering with its editorial line would carry a high reputational risk. If known (leaked), it could ruin the newspaper's credibility, which is a huge part of its financial value. So my guess is Bezos is not even tempted to lean in editorially: it would almost certainly backfire.

Quote:
Sanders disavowed any notion that Bezos controls coverage at The Post. “I think my criticism of the corporate media is not … that they wake up, you know, in the morning and say, ‘What could we do to hurt Bernie Sanders?’ ” he told CNN. Instead he offered a criticism that is neither new nor radical: “There is a framework of what we can discuss and what we cannot discuss, and that’s a serious problem.”

(in the oped i posted upthread)
Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:35 pm
@Olivier5,
This being said, here is a potentially interesting test of in the Washington Post's independence: someone with access to their site (ie not me) could systematically compare their Amazon-related topics with that of a basket of 'more independent' news sources, such as Reuters, AFP the NYT and the BBC. Experience from other cases predicts a significant variance in tone between the two sets. Not that Bezos tells them what to say on Amazon, but you know (perhaps) how corporations work, and things aren't always explicit in their internal culture, how 'the powers that be' are invoked and feared, and their wishes guessed and anticipated.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 12:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Right. Sanders is admirably reasonable and forthright in that statement.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 01:17 pm
@blatham,
He is, generally, admirably reasonable and forthright if you pay close attention to what he says as opposed to what his fans, opponents and pundits say about him. This guy is a gem of a politician. I don't say that lightly. He's not the one and only savior, I agree but the likes of him are rare.
hightor

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 01:53 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:

Wisen up: comparing Trump and Sanders is ill-founded, absurd, and meant to harm.

Except I'm not comparing the two men (who couldn't be more different politically), I'm comparing the complaints you hear from the supporters of both men that their guy isn't being treated fairly. I would have thought that was obvious. I've never criticized Sanders; even if I believe his ten trillion dollar climate plan is rather unlikely to find funding the actual amount needed is probably double that.

Has anyone explained how the primaries are "rigged" yet?
Olivier5

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 02:23 pm
@hightor,
I was not meaning you compared them, but referring to the OpEd titled "Trump’s wall is child’s play compared to Bernie Sanders’s climate plan" by Post columnist David Von Drehle. Sorry that wasn't clear.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 02:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
He is truly an amazing fellow. That so many on the right still take any opportunity to slag him - even Evangelicals! - says nothing good about that crowd.

Former President Jimmy Carter is a neonazi. It is fair to criticize him for being a neonazi.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 03:58 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
This guy is a gem of a politician. I don't say that lightly. He's not the one and only savior, I agree but the likes of him are rare.
I think that's so.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 04:06 pm
Re the Washington Post, here's a relevant story up now
Quote:
That Stirring War Story Biden Tells On The Campaign Trail? WaPo Reports It’s Not True
TPM - link embedded
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 04:24 pm
@hightor,
It seemed weird that you answered a specific question as though it was posed to you.
Lash

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 04:26 pm
@snood,
Bullshit, narcissist.
But, I definitely poop on you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 04:42 pm
Daily examples and stories of the rigging are all over the net. I feel that if somebody doesn't recognize the truth of it by now, there is nothing that can be presented that will enlighten them. I ascribe no motive to the ones I address this to, it's necessary to examine one's own self.