edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 04:49 pm
Rodney Latstetter
@proviewsusa
·
2h
Even Worse Than the DCCC Blacklist': Schumer Accused of Effort to Hamstring Progressives Trying to Unseat GOP Senators
"Schumer is blackballing progressives in open primaries for GOP-held seats."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/29/even-worse-dccc-blacklist-schumer-accused-effort-hamstring-progressives-trying
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Daily examples and stories of the rigging are all over the net.
Also, all over the net
The moon landings were faked

The white race is superior

Obama is a Muslim (also he's the Antichrist)

I don't mean to simply invalidate your claim, edgar. Rather I'm suggesting that you really must - if you wish to give heft to your claim such that others grant it credence - provide compelling and valid source data.

Lash

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 05:47 pm
@Lash,
Motherfucking Jones says WaPo is full of **** about Bernard Effing Sanders.
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/bernie-sanders-medical-bankruptcy-washington-post-fact-check-878120/

Excerpt:
The Washington Post has a political fact checking department, and the aim is admirable — to hold candidates accountable and call them out when they’re playing fast-and-loose with the truth. But, as the Post’s recent check of Sanders’ medical bankruptcy stat underscores, the paper’s pursuit of facts can at times go off the rails.
The Post piece gives the Sanders “Three Pinocchios” for the claim on medical debt, which is the paper’s shorthand for “mostly false.” (An aside: What is it with the multiple Pinocchios? The Pinocchio didn’t self propagate when he lied — his nose grew.)
To have earned Three Pinocchios, we must assume Bernie’s claim is a real doozy, one wooden puppet short of a “whopper” per the Post. So what’s the matter with the statistic? As it turns out: Nothing much at all.
Sanders’s team told the Post that the Vermont Senator was relying on an estimate published in a medical journal that found that 66.5% of bankruptcy filers cited either medical bills or missed work due to illness as a reason they went broke. The journal itself said this was “equivalent to about 530,000 medical bankruptcies annually.”
At first glance, it appears Bernie understated the problem by rounding down. The checker did an admirable thing and reached out to the author of the study, Dr. David Himmelstein, a professor of public health in the CUNY system and a lecturer at Harvard Medical School. “When we asked Himmelstein whether Sanders was quoting his study accurately,” the fact checker reports, “he said yes.”
Himmelstein went on to unpack for the fact checker that, even if you were to adopt a more limited measure of bankruptcies that were “very much” linked to medical debt, the number of people going broke is still north of 500,000 a year, because a single bankruptcy typically affects multiple people in a family unit. “Even if you use that restricted definition, then Sanders’s statement is accurate — or an underestimate,” Himmelstein said.

To review: the Post fact checker, going straight to the source, a Harvard lecturer, found that Sanders’ was sticking to close to the facts, and if anything understating the problem.
So why didn’t the Post give Bernie a coveted “Geppetto Checkmark” for truthfulness. (Yes, it’s really called this — you can’t make this **** up.) Who knows?!?
The author spends the rest of the 1,600 word piece splitting hairs and then tying them into knots. He takes it upon himself to not simply fact check Sanders, but the medical journal that Sanders relied on. And it turns out that, if you dig down far enough, you can uncover a minor-league academic beef about bankruptcy statistics, with professors arguing about the extent to which one can say the contributing factor of medical debt is actually what “caused” the bankruptcy.
Despite his pageant of pedantry, the fact checker doesn’t get to the bottom of anything. He doesn’t prove that one side in this ivory tower debate is in fact right, while the other is actually wrong. More important, he doesn’t offer any evidence that Sanders was aware of this teapot tempest or that he in any way set out to deceive voters. Instead author proudly presents the unholy tangle he, himself, created to conclude: “The omissions and twists are significant enough to merit Three Pinocchios for Sanders.”
The process by which the Post fact checker transmogrified a basically true statement into a ruling of “mostly false” is a case study in the uselessness of the political fact-check as it is often practiced.
Subjecting political speechmaking to this kind of nitpick is folly. The entire nature of the political enterprise is looser than that. Politicians speak to broad systemic problems. If they’re sharp and persuasive, they have statistics at hand. And if their staff is any good, those statistics have reputable studies to back them up. By any meaningful measure what Sanders said is accurate for the purposes of the project. If citing a study accurately enough to satisfy its author still gets a “mostly false,” it’s hard to know what could possibly pass muster.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 06:13 pm
@blatham,
You're almost as old as me. if that's all you come up with I don't know what else to tell you.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 06:56 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Wisen up: comparing Trump and Sanders is ill-founded, absurd, and meant to harm.

Except I'm not comparing the two men (who couldn't be more different politically), I'm comparing the complaints you hear from the supporters of both men that their guy isn't being treated fairly. I would have thought that was obvious. I've never criticized Sanders; even if I believe his ten trillion dollar climate plan is rather unlikely to find funding the actual amount needed is probably double that.

Has anyone explained how the primaries are "rigged" yet?

No. However, Edgar has been gracious enough to let us know that the evidence of the rigging is “all over” the internet.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 08:07 pm
@hightor,
Simple. The candidate they wanted to win dident. So the obvious answer is the primary was rigged. The left is becoming as demanted as the conservatives.
snood

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 09:05 pm
@RABEL222,
Not all of the left.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2019 11:11 pm
@snood,
I'm starting to get a brain cramp.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 12:32 am
@glitterbag,
It's all very simple:

1) Trump is the enemy, not Sanders, not Warren, and not Biden.

2) Trump is the enemy, not Sanders, not Warren, and not Biden.

3) Trump is the enemy, not Sanders, not Warren, and not Biden.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 12:40 am
@RABEL222,
Please don't help Trump.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 01:06 am
@Lash,
Four Pinocchios for WaPo on this.
Lash

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 01:28 am
@Olivier5,
I’m grateful a few called them out.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 04:28 am
@Lash,
The main researcher behind the 500,000 figure is now asking for a retraction of the WaPo article, on the ground that it misrepresented his research as "not peer-reviewed", when it actually was peer-reviewed.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 04:55 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The main researcher behind the 500,000 figure is now asking for a retraction of the WaPo article, on the ground that it misrepresented his research as "not peer-reviewed", when it actually was peer-reviewed.

WaPo wrote:
The AJPH editorial did not undergo the same peer-reviewed editing process as a research article.

Medical Bankruptcy: Still Common Despite the Affordable Care Act
AJPH-editorial wrote:
All authors reviewed and revised the final version of the manuscript.
hightor

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 05:02 am
@blatham,
Yeah, on another thread this startling information was shared:
Quote:
On another site, I saw people I know and others convinced he [Jeffrey Epstein] was actually whisked out of the country.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 05:07 am
@Lash,
Quote:
It seemed weird that you answered a specific question as though it was posed to you.

That's why I started right out by admitting my lack of "astuteness", thereby differentiating myself from the person the question was directly addressed to. At least that was my intention.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 07:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have access to this journal. The article seems quite interesting, judging from the first paragraphs...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 08:20 am
Here is a ray of light:

kyle jones
@KyleLovesBernie
BREAKING NEWS: The DNC is set to reject Iowa Democrats virtual caucus plan allowing voters to vote via phone etc.
revelette1

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 10:49 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
(CNN)At first glance, you might not think this headline from Friday morning is much of a big deal: "DNC planning to reject Iowa virtual caucus over security concerns."

But you'd be wrong. Let me tell you why.

What the Democratic National Committee's decision means, in the most basic of terms, is that Iowa's plan to hold "virtual" caucuses by phone -- a move aimed at expanding the number of people who can participate -- won't work. Why? Because of concerns, particularly in the wake of the 2016 Russian hacking of the DNC's email servers, that phoning it in, literally, could create the very real possibility of vote-tampering. (Iowa proposed the virtual caucus in order to meet the DNC's requirement that every state that holds a a caucus to implement some sort of absentee voting process to allow people who can't show up in person to participate.)

Take one step back. The key difference between a caucus (like Iowa) and a primary (like New Hampshire) is this: In a caucus, people are required to show up at a designated place, group themselves by which candidate they prefer and then lobby others whose candidates don't have enough support to matter. In a primary, you go to your designated voting place, cast a ballot and leave.

The caucus is WAY more time-consuming. And that time commitment functions as a high barrier for entry for people who might not be able to get the time off from work or are not physically able to make it to a caucus.

All of this matters because, as of today, the Iowa caucuses are just 157 days away. Which isn't very long!

See, New Hampshire REALLY likes having the first-in-the-nation primary. The state likes it so much that it has empowered its secretary of state to move the primary date to whenever he or she sees as necessary to preserve the state's first-in-line status. (The New Hampshire primary is currently scheduled for February 11.)

The most obvious solution to solve Iowa's virtual caucus problem is to memorialize any votes cast over the phone on a paper ballot. Which, to New Hampshire's view, starts to make the Iowa caucuses look a lot like a primary. Which means that the door is at least open slightly for the possibility that New Hampshire Secretary of State Bill Gardner could move the state's primary ahead of the February 3 Iowa caucuses if he deems the eventual solution offered by the Hawkeye State as too similar to a primary.

And the order matters: If New Hampshire went first, the calculus of the race could be fundamentally changed. Candidates who have spent lots of time and energy in Iowa could see that go for naught, because what happened in New Hampshire would have a huge impact on the Iowa vote to follow.

New Hampshire Democratic Party Chairman Ray Buckley told CNN Friday that he and his party remain "resolute in protecting the first in the national primary" but believe that the issue will be resolved.

To be clear: We're not there yet! The DNC has set September 13 as the deadline for it to approve all plans to deal with its requirements for absentee voting in caucus states.

Now, it is uniquely possible that Iowa Democrats figure out how to fix their caucus plan to the satisfaction of the DNC well before the big day. But to assume that will happen overlooks one very important factor: New Hampshire.

But Iowa Democrats are caught between Scylla and Charybdis at the moment.

On one side, they have the DNC mandate that they must find a way to provide an option for people to vote who can't make it to a caucus site -- and the DNC's rejection of the plan to do it over the phone with no paper trail to document the votes.

On the other, they have New Hampshire, which views any paper balloting as the stuff of primaries, and could change their own primary in response.

Can Iowa and the DNC find a way through this thicket? Sure! But there's no quick and easy solution. And the Iowa caucuses are just five months away.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/30/politics/iowa-caucus-2020/index.html
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 12:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well that takes care of sanders. The only way he stayed in was by a minority of democrats controlling the caucuses. In primaries where all the democrats could vote Clinton whacked his ass.
0 Replies