revelette1

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 06:46 am
@edgarblythe,
agreed
oralloy

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 06:48 am
@revelette1,
Would you be so cavalier about injustice if you were the innocent person who was sent to prison?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 06:51 am
Quote:
But for tonight I say go on and fall in love in the primaries. Just fall in line in the general. Our lives; our planet depends on it. Vote blue no matter who.
Absolutists are always unusually passionate and self-certain. The positive and the negative consequences of such thinking are pretty obvious.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 08:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I imagine there were quite a few enlightened Modern Age Germans who thought a dictator could never rise to power in their country.

Yes, there were. Horkheimer and Adorno, among others, discussed the phenomenon:
Quote:
One of the lessons which Hitler has taught us is that it is better not to be too clever. The Jews put forward all kinds of well-founded arguments to show that he could not come to power when his rise was clear for all to see. I remember a conversation during which a political economist demonstrated—on the basis of the interests of the Bavarian brewers —that the Germans could not be brought into line. Other experts proved that Fascism was impossible in the West. The educated made it easy for the barbarians everywhere by being so stupid. The farsighted judgments, the forecasts based on statistics and experience, the comments beginning “this is a subject I know very well,” and the well-rounded, solid statements, are all untrue.

...from the Dialectic of Enlightenment

Remember, unlike Russia and China, a sizeable number of Germans voted for Hitler — his supporters might as well have been wearing MGGA hats. Having voted for him, having seen and approved of his policies in the early stages of the Reich, they were loathe to oppose him. You see that same dynamic in today's GOP.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
As I have stated repeatedly (and which you have ignored repeatedly) I am not predicting a tyrant coming to power in the US anytime soon, but I do not believe it could never happen here for any reason (including the vague techo-culturo babble you seem to be spouting) and for that reason I believe the integrity of the 2nd Amendment is important.

And as I've stated repeatedly the chances of a home-grown tyranny are slim and the chances that something as archaic as handheld devices which propel lumps of soft heavy metal at supersonic speeds would be an effective response are even slimmer.

Quote:
If I though tyranny was around the corner and I wanted, as an old geezer, to be on the firing lines...

The "firing lines"? Give me a break. Expecting something like trench warfare? Who you gonna shoot, Rambo?

Quote:
If anyone needs to put the #Resistance fantasy to bed it's progressives and their Anitfa shock troops.

Can you provide one bit of evidence to show that the antifa demonstrators have any solid connection to "progressives" in the Democratic Party — the candidates or their supporters — and aren't just a rag tag collection of disgruntled anarchists who can always be found in college towns?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 09:20 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Remember, unlike Russia and China, a sizeable number of Germans voted for Hitler — his supporters might as well have been wearing MGGA hats. Having voted for him, having seen and approved of his policies in the early stages of the Reich, they were loathe to oppose him. You see that same dynamic in today's GOP.
The 1933 election - the last contested election held in Germany before World War II - gave the NSDAP (Hitler's party) 43.91%.
In June1933 first the SPD was banned, shortly afterwards the more right-wing liberal ones dissolved, and then the "Law against the New Formation of Parties" came into force (Gesetz gegen die Neubildung von Parteien vom 14. Juli 1933 (RGBl. I, S. 479)]).
RABEL222

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 10:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Were getting closer to dictatorship since congress is unable to do its job allowing the president to rule by presidential proclamation.
hightor

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:56 am
@RABEL222,
There's quite a disconnect there, considering how much they railed against Obama's "imperial presidency"!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:05 pm
@blatham,
People saying vote blue no matter who will never grasp what is at stake here. It's necessary to actually move to undo the past thirty years before anything can get better. Only one candidate comes close to that description.
blatham wrote:

Quote:
But for tonight I say go on and fall in love in the primaries. Just fall in line in the general. Our lives; our planet depends on it. Vote blue no matter who.
Absolutists are always unusually passionate and self-certain. The positive and the negative consequences of such thinking are pretty obvious.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 12:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

People saying vote blue no matter who will never grasp what is at stake here. It's necessary to actually move to undo the past thirty years before anything can get better. Only one candidate comes close to that description.

What do you do when that candidate doesn't get the nomination?
Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 01:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
A few years ago he went to the Green Party candidate, Jill Stein.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 02:02 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

What do you do when that candidate doesn't get the nomination?

The $50,000 question. Well, judging from past answers, it’s not a reality that Ed and Lash wish to address forthrightly. If I remember right, they either say it doesn’t matter because it’s all going to **** anyway if Bernie doesn’t win, or they’ll say they’re going to write in a vote of whoever (or Tulsi this time)before they vote for one of the filthy feckless corporate Dems.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 02:46 pm
Here's a really good talk by Stephen Walt, the author of The Hell of Good Intentions. It's an analysis of how the USA and democratic movements in general have declined since 1992. He skewers the whole project of "liberal hegemony" which he says was bound to fail and recommends a policy of "offshore balancing" and "strategic restraint".

Here's a link to his talk:
The Hell of Good Intentions

Reader's reviews of his book can be found on Amazon.

And here's a piece of his from Foreign Policy:

Restraint Isn’t Isolationism—and It Won’t Endanger America

Critics of offshore balancing claim a more restrained U.S. foreign policy will breed insecurity. They’re wrong, and their arguments are easily debunked.

Quote:
What sort of foreign policy do Americans want? One thing seems clear: They don’t want the one they’ve been getting in recent decades. And who can blame them?

Americans have repeatedly expressed their frustration with the overly ambitious and mostly failed strategy of liberal hegemony that has been in place since the end of the Cold War. Instead of making the United States more secure and prosperous, while defending core U.S. values, the misguided attempt to remake the world in the United States’ image sparked needless rivalries with some states, made the terrorism problem worse, led to costly quagmires and failed states, and failed to deliver prosperity beyond the richest 1 percent.

Given this sorry track record, it’s not surprising that critics of this broad approach are increasingly numerous and vocal. The voices advocating greater foreign-policy restraint are growing in number and attracting far more attention now than in the past. The founding of a new, restraint-oriented think tank—the Quincy Institute for Responsible Statecraft—whose supporters include the odd couple of George Soros and Charles Koch, suggests that realism and restraint are ideas whose time has come. (Full disclosure: I played a minor role in this initiative and presently serve on one of the institute’s advisory committees.)

Just as predictably, however, these developments have prompted a backlash from critics who believe the United States should continue to follow more or less the same grand strategy it has pursued since the Soviet Union broke up. Neoconservative godfather Bill Kristol has already tweeted his disdain for the Quincy initiative (given Kristol’s past advice, this could be taken as evidence that the new institute is on the right track), and prominent critics of restraint (also known as offshore balancing) include Frank Hoffman, James Holmes, Peter Feaver and Hal Brands, and Foreign Policy’s own James Traub. Finally, it seems, Americans are beginning to have a genuine debate on what the U.S. role in the world should be.

I’ve laid out my own views on these issues at considerable length elsewhere; my purpose here is to consider the critics—and the arguments that have been advanced against a more realistic and restrained foreign policy. I can’t claim to be objective, but I find most of the counterarguments to be surprisingly weak.

Myth 1. Offshore balancers are crypto-isolationists.

By far the most common charge leveled at advocates of restraint is that they are die-hard isolationists who believe the United States should withdraw from the world and concentrate solely on defending its own territory. Because “isolationism” is a loaded term, forever associated with those who sought to keep the United States out of World War II, the charge still carries some political weight. But as a serious criticism, it is without foundation.

Nearly all supporters of a more restrained foreign policy have made it clear that they believe the United States should be actively engaged with other nations both economically and diplomatically and, in some cases, militarily. More importantly, the strategic logic that underpins the offshore balancing approach—which concentrates on the balance of power in critical strategic regions—explains why the United States should be ready to intervene abroad in certain well-defined circumstances.

In particular, offshore balancers do not believe the United States can always remain “offshore.” While avoiding significant military commitments in foreign lands might be preferable much of the time, there will be moments when it is necessary for the United States to go “onshore,” usually to prevent the emergence of a regional hegemon that might threaten the country’s long-term security. Thus, offshore balancers believe it was correct for the United States to intervene in World Wars I and II, and they endorsed the policy of containment (and especially the commitment of U.S. troops in Europe and Asia) during the Cold War.

Today, most restrainers believe the United States should be militarily present in Asia to counter a rising China, and it should retain a residual capacity to intervene in other areas should a potential hegemon emerge. Because no country could dominate either Europe or the Middle East today, however, there is little need for the United States to deploy significant forces in either place, and it should let local powers do the heavy lifting in these regions.

Myth 2. Offshore balancing requires anticipating threats perfectly.

Offshore balancers recommend passing the buck to local powers when possible so that they pull their weight and the United States stays out of unnecessary trouble. But what if Washington misreads the balance of power and does not respond quickly enough? If this were to occur, the United States might wake up and discover that it is too late to intervene or that doing so will be much more expensive.

There is a grain of truth in this charge, insofar as the strategy does depend on gauging the balance of power in key regions and getting more actively engaged whenever a potential hegemon begins to emerge. But two additional factors must be kept in mind. First, spotting potential hegemons is often pretty easy—as it is with China today and as it was with the former Soviet Union after World War II—and the United States’ geographic position in the Western Hemisphere gives it some margin for error. Second, and more importantly, the risk of underreaction must be weighed against the opposite danger of overcommitment. If offshore balancers cannot absolutely guarantee that the United States will always respond quickly, advocates of liberal hegemony or other forms of global activism cannot assure us that their overzealousness does not lead to unnecessary wars, costly quagmires, and a bloated national security state.

The history of the past quarter century suggests that the latter danger is very real. Under both Democratic and Republican administrations, the United States has repeatedly found itself dragged into wars of choice fought for less than vital interests. Hardly any of them led to a successful conclusion, and every one of them cost more and lasted longer than Washington anticipated. Each of the past four U.S. presidents campaigned promising to do less abroad and more at home, yet each ended up doing far more in distant lands than they intended.

Myth 3. If the United States retreats, rivals will fill the void.

Another frequent complaint is that any reduction in the United States’ overseas commitments and military presence signals an ignominious retreat and will create opportunities for U.S. adversaries to increase their own global influence. You see this warning at work every time people get the vapors over Russia’s supposed influence in Syria or the possibility that a reduced presence in the Middle East or Africa will enable China to replace the United States there.

Like the old Cold War domino theory, the precise logic by which this process will occur is rarely spelled out, and there are good reasons to question its validity (except as a scare tactic). To begin with, some parts of the world are of modest to zero strategic importance, so it doesn’t really matter if other states gain influence there or not. Moreover, such fears typically overstate the influence the United States supposedly had in the past while exaggerating the ability of others to exercise similar influence in the future. If the past 70 years tell us anything, it is that it is difficult for distant powers to exercise reliable control over the bristling nationalisms that make up the modern world.

Furthermore, in some cases, U.S. security would be enhanced if it got out of one of its current quagmires and let adversaries have their turn there instead. The United States won the Cold War in part by letting the less prosperous Soviet Union squander resources in places like Afghanistan and Angola; one suspects that Chinese politicians have been delighted to watch Washington waste trillions of dollars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the global war on terrorism.

Myth 4. Offshore balancers don’t care about values.

If the United States were to act with greater restraint, some argue, it would be abdicating the liberal principles on which the country was founded. In a recent critique of my book The Hell of Good Intentions, for example, Kori Schake accused me of “jettisoning” American values. For Schake and other liberal internationalists, American power—including military power—should be used to spread democracy, defend human rights, and eventually make the rest of the world become more “like us.” Or as Kristol and fellow neoconservative Lawrence Kaplan put it some years ago, “Well, what is wrong with dominance, in the service of sound principles and high ideals?”

What’s wrong, of course, is that trying to transform the world in the United States’ image isn’t working very well. According to Freedom House, 2018 was the 13th consecutive year in which global freedom declined, and the Economist Intelligence Unit’s annual Democracy Index recently downgraded the United States from a “full” to a “flawed” democracy. Trying to remake the world in America’s image isn’t succeeding abroad; instead, it is helping undermine those same values here at home.

According to offshore balancing, the best way to promote liberal values is by setting a good example and using the United States’ power, wealth, and good fortune to create an equitable and prosperous society that others would admire and seek to emulate in their own fashion. Restrainers do not “jettison” values; we believe a different strategy would promote them more effectively.

foreignpolicy
blatham

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:00 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
the chances that something as archaic as handheld devices which propel lumps of soft heavy metal at supersonic speeds would be an effective response are even slimmer.
I have always been stunned by the argument from 2nd A types that an armed militia (or heavily armed citizens) would prove some sort of viable opposition to the modern state's military armaments. "We'll just shoot down those cruise missiles and choppers and jet fighters and tanks will be no match for a thousand pickup trucks filled with dildos and fertilizer or something... we'll figure it out. We're Americans."
blatham

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:09 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Can you provide one bit of evidence to show that the antifa demonstrators have any solid connection to "progressives" in the Democratic Party
This notion of some organized and desired cooperation between the idiots in black and Dems is a right wing media staple. Hannity is a promoter, of course he is. But it serves a propaganda purpose in the face of rising neo-nazi/white supremacist activism through a "both sides do it" narrative.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
People saying vote blue no matter who will never grasp what is at stake here.
As you can perhaps understand, Edgar, those of us who have been attentive students of American politics for many decades aren't likely to simply accept the claim that only Bernie supporters (of a certain sort) have a grip on reality.

You may have noticed that I have never said anything negative about Sanders other than the one instance of stating that he should have released his tax returns earlier than he did. That's it. And as I've said earlier, if he's the candidate, I'd vote for him in a second.
blatham

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 05:15 pm
@hightor,
Thank you. Walt is a very bright guy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 06:25 pm
@blatham,
I'm sorry to have to say this, but electing a deadhead like Biden or a Clinton clone like Harris is installing a place-holder until the next Trump comes along.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 21 Aug, 2019 11:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Leaving Trump in place will kill your democracy.
Lash

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 03:38 am
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/homenews/campaign/458161-polls-suggest-sanders-may-be-underestimated%3famp

Wooohoooo!!!!

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) may be underestimated in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, according to a flurry of new polling released in the last week.

The polls show Sanders is firmly entrenched in the race's top tier of candidates with former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) - and that there is some distance between these three candidates and the rest of the field.

Overall, the polling underlines that at this stage, Biden is the race's front-
runner.

But the surveys give considerable hope to Sanders, who has been largely overshadowed over the past few months by Warren's buzzy campaign. Given his grass-roots fundraising and his organization, the polling suggests Sanders will be in the race for the long haul and that he stands a good chance of winning.

"He has the money, the campaign infrastructure and an intense base of supporters," said one Democratic strategist. "Does he have a tough road to the nomination? Of course, all of the candidates do. But has he been overlooked so far? Absolutely. Out of all the candidates, he is the one you can definitely say is in this for the long haul."

A Pew Research analysis found that Sanders is winning more black voters than Warren, though she is doubling him among white voters. Sanders has a narrow 1-point edge over Warren in the poll among Hispanic voters.

Both of the two progressives badly trail Biden among black and Hispanic voters, and unless that changes the former vice president is likely to win the nomination. But the Pew poll also shows many of those voters are undecided.

Warren is ahead of Sanders among voters with post-graduate degrees and four-year college degrees, while Sanders has an edge over Warren among those with some college or a high school education or less.

This is a point the Sanders team has been emphasizing as it argues their candidate appeals to different voters than Warren.

"Their bases really are not co-extensive," Sanders campaign adviser Jeff Weaver told TheHill.TV on Monday. "His base is much more diverse, much more working-class. Her base is much more college-educated, and so they are not really at this point competing for the same pool of voters."

More than half of Warren's supporters identify as either "very liberal" or "liberal" - 35 percent and 20 percent, respectively - while only 7 percent described themselves as moderate or conservative Democrats.

Ten percent of Sanders supporters in the Pew poll identified as moderate or conservative Democrats.

Warren carries the largest margin of any candidate among voters with postgraduate degrees. Sanders has significant support among those with four-year degrees - 14 percent - but more of his voters have not graduated from college, the Pew survey found.

In the money race, Sanders has raised more than any other candidate this year and is on track to become the first presidential candidate to reach the 1 million donor mark. He has $27 million in the bank, which is also tops in the field, and a recent New York Times analysis found that Sanders's donors are more geographically diverse than any other candidate.

New polls released this week have shown Warren and Sanders, along with Biden, beating Trump in head-to-head matchups. Such polls are important since Biden's campaign argues he is the candidate best suited to take on Trump.

An Emerson University survey released Tuesday found Sanders and Biden leading Trump by 10 points in Colorado, while Warren leads the president by 7 points.

Contrary to reports that Sanders has been slipping in the polls, several recent surveys have found Sanders's support to be stable, even as other candidates have risen and fallen around him.

A Morning Consult survey released Tuesday found Biden leading at 31 percent nationally, with Sanders firmly in second place at 20 percent, followed by Warren at 15.

A CNN-SSRS poll released Tuesday found Biden at 29 percent, followed by Sanders at 15 percent and Warren at 14 percent.

While Warren has sought to stake out her claim as the premier issues-based candidate, the CNN survey found that Sanders is the only top tier candidate who polls better among voters who prize issues over electability.

Warren is pulling big crowds of voters, and her lead among the Democratic Party's most liberal voters could propel her to victory in Iowa.

But Sanders remains in the thick of things in the early-voting states.

A Gravis Marketing survey released last week found Sanders leading in New Hampshire, the first-in-the-nation primary state, with 21 percent support, followed by Biden at 15. Most polls find Sanders in second place in New Hampshire, but his support has been steady near the top and he is averaging 19.3 percent support in the Granite State, according to the RealClearPolitics average.

Sanders won New Hampshire over Hillary Clinton in 2016 after a narrow loss in Iowa.

Part of Sanders's challenge owes to his lackluster support among older Democrats, who tend to be more moderate but turn out to vote in higher numbers. According to the Pew Research survey, only 4 percent of voters 65 and older said they are supporting him in the primary. Warren and Biden, meanwhile, attracted 16 percent and 41 percent support, respectively, among those voters.

"He has a strong campaign in terms of volunteers, staff and money," said Andrew Feldman, a Democratic strategist. "He's going to be around for an extended period of time, but he's got to figure out how to expand his strong base of support. It's great that he's remained steady, while we've seen others like Harris or Buttigieg lose support. But to beat Biden and hold off Warren you have to expand, and the central question of his campaign is whether he can do that."

Sanders's critics have long argued that his brand of progressivism - and his embrace of the democratic socialist label - would isolate more moderate voters and all but ensure a second term for Trump.

The Sanders team rejects that narrative. They think they can also pull votes from Biden, though the former vice president's campaign doesn't appear worried the more liberal Sanders will take from him. Biden appears focused on Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), who in a new CNN poll was floundering at 5 percent.

Veteran Democratic pollster Mark Mellman, a columnist for The Hill, said the challenge for Sanders is that it can be difficult for a universally known candidate to grow support.

"There's no question he's a serious candidate in this race and has a real possibility of winning the nomination," Mellman said. "But he's also one of the best known, he's been around the track before, his name recognition is as high or higher than most others, and it can be harder to grow when you're that well-known."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 22 Aug, 2019 06:59 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I have always been stunned by the argument from 2nd A types that an armed militia (or heavily armed citizens) would prove some sort of viable opposition to the modern state's military armaments. "We'll just shoot down those cruise missiles and choppers and jet fighters and tanks will be no match for a thousand pickup trucks filled with dildos and fertilizer or something... we'll figure it out. We're Americans."

Part of me would really like to correct your ignorant prattle.

Another part of me is screaming "No! You hate getting sucked into these arguments about overthrowing tyranny! For the love of all that is holy, stay away!"

Kind of like in a horror movie where the audience is screaming "Don't go into the attic you fools!" Except unlike the movie characters, I think I'm going to be wise enough to listen to that inner voice that's telling me not to go into that dark and creepy attic with you.
0 Replies