blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 08:29 am
Some of you would have read that Fox's Andrew (Judge) Napolitino broke ranks with most of the Fox stooges the other day.
Quote:
Fox News senior judicial analyst Judge Andrew Napolitano kept up his relentless criticism of President Trump this week — calling the president’s behavior as described in the Mueller Report “immoral,” “criminal,” “defenseless” and “condemnable.”

“Prosecutors prosecute people who interfere with government functions and that’s what the president did by obstruction, where is this going to end? I don’t know, but I am disappointed in the behavior of the president,” Napolitano said during a monologue of his Fox News digital show “Judge Napolitano’s Chambers.”
http://bit.ly/2IMVqUu

So credit where due. In his circle this is an unusual act of conscience and bravery. It's possibly the first time I've agreed with the guy.

And how does Trump respond? You'd never guess.
Quote:
President Trump tweeted Saturday that Fox News analyst Andrew Napolitano met with him and urged him to nominate Napolitano to the Supreme Court as well as grant a pardon to one of Napolitano's friends.

Napolitano, a former superior court judge in New Jersey, works as a legal analyst for Fox News. In a pair of tweets Saturday evening following his campaign rally in Green Bay, Wis., the president accused the commentator of becoming "very hostile" after Trump supposedly turned him down for the nation's highest court.

"Thank you to brilliant and highly respected attorney Alan Dershowitz for destroying the very dumb legal argument of 'Judge' Andrew Napolitano," Trump wrote.

"Ever since Andrew came to my office to ask that I appoint him to the U.S. Supreme Court, and I said NO, he has been very hostile! Also asked for pardon for his friend. A good 'pal' of low ratings Shepard Smith," the president added, referring to Fox's chief news anchor, who has often been critical of the White House.
http://bit.ly/2IN57m9

Also, I guess, Napolitano is a Clinton/Obama deep state mole who has slithered his way into the otherwise great Fox organization as part of the DNC illegal coup attempt. NO COLLUSION!!! NO OBSTRUCTION!!!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 08:40 am
Not at all my area of expertise but for other's info
Quote:
Women in the United States are 16 times more likely to be killed with a gun than women in any other developed nation. This is just one of the grim statistics that foregrounds the ominous connection that’s often seen between horrific mass shooting incidents and the episodes of domestic violence that are often found in such shooters’ pasts.

Presidential candidate Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) may have had this data point from the gun safety advocacy group Everytown on her mind as she composed her master plan to curb gun violence in this country. Of the policy points she detailed, closing the boyfriend loophole — which would prevent all domestic partners with a history of domestic violence convictions from possessing a firearm, as opposed to just married partners — may be the most impactful.
http://bit.ly/2IML5YT
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 08:58 am
You'll want to watch this
Quote:
As a guest links Trump's rhetoric with the rise in anti-Semitism, Fox News suddenly cuts to commercial
http://bit.ly/2IMl77S
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 09:10 am
Quote:
The National Rifle Association’s annual convention was consumed by infighting on Saturday, after its president, Oliver North, was ousted by its board and its longtime chief executive, Wayne LaPierre, a week after a joint investigation by The New Yorker and The Trace exposed hundreds of millions of dollars in questionable payments to N.R.A. executives, contractors, and venders. Adding to the scrutiny on the gun-rights group, the Times reported on Saturday that the New York attorney general, Letitia James, has opened a formal investigation into the group’s financial practices, including whether it should retain its nonprofit status.
http://bit.ly/2ILGuGv

These despicable bastards don't want people to understand that they are running a very, very lucrative con job to line their own pockets.
Real Music

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 09:32 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
When in doubt, ask yourself: what would Bernie Sanders do?

Would he try to defend neonazis, who long for an ideology that killed his entire family? Would he consider the good side of the neonazis? Or would he condemn them with rightful fury?

Bernie Sanders says President Trump is a racist.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 09:33 am
Christ almighty. I had not seen this Trump tweet before.
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
I have asked Secretary of State @SecPompeo to closely study the South Africa land and farm seizures and expropriations and the large scale killing of farmers. “South African Government is now seizing land from white farmers.” @TuckerCarlson @FoxNews
7:28 PM - Aug 22, 2018

revelette1

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 09:42 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The demographic changes coming over the next few decades — the continuing rise of a more diverse electorate, with more liberal views than previous generations — won’t destroy the Republican Party or make it electorally insolvent. But it may make right-wing conservatism a rump ideology, backed primarily by a declining minority of older rural and exurban white voters. You can already see this taking shape. Among the youngest Republicans, 52 percent say the government should be “doing more” to solve problems, as opposed to 23 percent of Republican baby boomers.

In this environment, the only way to preserve right-wing conservatism in American government is to rig the system against this new electorate. You tilt the field in favor of constituencies that still back traditional Republican conservatism in order to build a foundation for durable minority rule by those groups. In just the last week, we’ve gotten a glimpse of what this rigging looks like in practice.

The good point to remember about the aging right wing demographics is sooner or later, they will be gone so they won't be able to rig the system. Doubt you or I will benefit but it leaves hope for tomorrow.
revelette1

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 09:48 am
Vox’s guide to where 2020 Democrats stand on policy

I am going to go out on a limb here and just state, I don't see any of these democrat contenders beating Trump at his own game. Which is why I wish people would focus more of their energies on the Senate and House races. Speaking of which my own state's McConnell is running again. I dislike that guy immensely, he has low ratings, yet, somehow people here keep voting for him.
Brand X

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 09:48 am
John's winning strategy to defeat Trump. lol

John Delaney

@JohnDelaney
The President clearly cares more about his Twitter followers than the American people. His continued dishonesty and weaponization of social media has been divisive. I am calling on all Americans to #UnfollowTrump and hit him where it actually hurts him... his ego.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:01 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
The good point to remember about the aging right wing demographics is sooner or later, they will be gone so they won't be able to rig the system. Doubt you or I will benefit but it leaves hope for tomorrow.
I agree with you but have a slightly different take.

The baby-boomer voting cohort (also know as "us") can't be gone quick enough. Every time I enter an office or fast food restaurant and hear , for the 10 thousandth time, some Eagles pop song from the seventies, I'm in danger of becoming one those crazed automatic-weapon guys. It's no wonder the young folks hate our guts.

But I don't think it is the Fox audience that is rigging the system. As John Dewey put it, "Politics is the shadow cast by business". The somewhat permanent situation of centers of power/wealth strategizing to solidify their power and dominance will continue but will adapt to new communication realities. We see that now with the corruption of Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Our kids/grandkids aren't likely to have anything like an easy go of it just because we're dead. But I recognize I might have this all wrong, so if the Fox audience is suddenly taken out by a meticulously aimed meteorite shower, I'd happily acknowledge my error.
blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:06 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I don't see any of these democrat contenders beating Trump at his own game.
Absolutely so. We just need to recall what happened in the GOP primaries when Cruz and Rubio tried. But aside from that, we wouldn't want to follow that path because 1) it is so destructive to democracy and 2) the left would lose an enormous advantage in party identity.
revelette1

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:15 am
@blatham,
Well, most of what you are saying is beyond my grasp. I confess I didn't click on the piece to read all of it. I was just thinking of our present generation of right wing elected officials and appointed judges and Justices. All of it controls the way votes come down so to speak with gerrymandering and census and laws. I don't express myself well, but perhaps you can get my drift.

I wasn't thinking of Twitter and facebook. I guess even after all this, I still consider both to be fairly harmless because it seems mostly to be family and friends socializing on the media. Perhaps I don't get it.

But on media news, yeah, I see that as harmful if any of the government is involved in any way, no matter how indirect. Otherwise, I think the media news should be free to report what they want. I just don't want to go down the road of censorship of the news in any way shape or form.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:16 am
@Lash,
You can sent your variations on facts back to the Saint Petersbourg botfarm they came from. I can recognise a nazi when I see one.
revelette1

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:16 am
@blatham,
Agree totally.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:19 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I don't see any of these democrat contenders beating Trump at his own game.
Absolutely so. We just need to recall what happened in the GOP primaries when Cruz and Rubio tried. But aside from that, we wouldn't want to follow that path because 1) it is so destructive to democracy and 2) the left would lose an enormous advantage in party identity.

This is one reason why I’d favor Harris over Warren to take on Trump (they are my two current favorites). I think Warren would be too easily influenced to try to ‘bully’ him back. I think Harris would be better at deflecting and sort of ju-jitsu-ing the orange troll’s own words back on him.

Also, he’s shown an aversion to going at Harris with the same kind of locker room slime (much as he’s shown with Pelosi). I’d be interested to see if Harris could leverage that hesitation.
revelette1

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:24 am
@snood,
If your right, then I wish some these contenders would get out of the way so she could do it. We have too many in the field, we need to mow it down a little. That might mean going after fellow democrats which most of the time, democrats don't want to do.

Another advantage she has is she young, articulate and tough with a winning smile to go with it. Biden and Sanders both are too old and look it. Biden looks too old and I already feel sorry for him.
Lash

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:26 am
@Olivier5,
Heather Heyer was a Nazi, you say? That’s harsh. But at least your buddies here will approve you.

Black and white is the only way.
blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:30 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Well, most of what you are saying is beyond my grasp.
I'm sorry. That's just my failure to write clearly.

Let's take appointed judges. The present strategy of the Federalist Society and Republicans generally is to nominate the most right wing candidate they can find who also is young. So they are pushing their control out into the future and past the life expectancy of baby boomers. And the Federalist Society isn't going to go away because it will continue to be financed by right wing business entities and their leadership will be populated by those entities choices or preferences. And again, a major preference will be youthful candidates.

So it seems to me that the simple ticking of the clock won't be sufficient. We must somehow dismantle the present allocations of power, returning it to the people so much as that can be managed through sticking together and crushing Republicans in elections. Hoping that makes sense.
blatham

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 10:36 am
@snood,
Quote:
This is one reason why I’d favor Harris over Warren to take on Trump (they are my two current favorites). I think Warren would be too easily influenced to try to ‘bully’ him back.
I admit I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to let it simmer for a bit. I do like them both (and I hope for a female candidate). However things shake out, I really do want Warren to have a significant role in the next administration because of her integrity, work ethic, and expertise in the finance sector.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 28 Apr, 2019 11:13 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I've been wondering about 'aging' out of the electorate lately.

I'm 39 now and I'm certainly not as 'progressive' as many younger people are. I believe I'm more left-leaning than I was 10 or even 20 years ago (much of which has to do with me becoming an athiest and leaving my socially conservative town).

You hear the cliche that if you're not a democrat in the your 20's then you have no heart and if you're not a republican in your 50's then you have no brain....and well, it has me wondering how beliefs change over time.

Back to your post, I'm wondering that even if people age out of the electorate, what number of people as they age into those demographics will become more conservative?