RABEL222

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 05:47 pm
@revelette1,
Impeachment is a mistake. The senate would never vote to convict him. Keep on investigating him up to the election and than send his crooked ass to jail on the many new York investigations. Along with a bunch of his many crooked helpers. If impeached the vicepresident would just pardon him. In republican terms politics before country.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 05:51 pm
@revelette1,
You dident believe a republican court would oppose a republican president. Party before country.
blatham

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 08:22 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I wonder if you or the esteemed Gregg Sargent could provide specifics for the " shocking scale of corruption, wrongdoing, contempt for our democracy, endless official deception and skirting of criminality" that it "documented" ?
Greg has written one book and thousands of columns on precisely these things but how could you possibly know that given that you never have nor will read what he writes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 23 Apr, 2019 09:00 pm
Quote:
In October 2016, Pennsylvania social media accounts promoted “Miners for Trump” rallies around the state with a picture of a gritty coal miner. The rallies coincided with a series of presidential campaign rallies by then-candidate Donald Trump.

It turns out the social media promotions were not created by U.S. coal miners, however. Instead, they were the work of the Internet Research Agency (IRA), a Russian troll farm, according to special counsel Robert Mueller’s recently released report on his investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

The IRA was the largest of the Russian efforts to help elect Trump to the presidency by manipulating social media. It housed hundreds of professional hackers in one St. Petersburg building, creating thousands of fake posts and comments a day.

As the Mueller report explains, the IRA organized U.S.-based rallies “from June 2016 until the end of the presidential campaign… often promoting the Trump campaign and opposing the Clinton campaign.”
TP
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:04 am
It looks like Trump’s effort to rig the census may succeed

Sad

I hope all you Bernie or busters in 2016 are satisfied, this is the result of your handiwork at the end of the election night. Not sure how you sleep at night. I only hope ya'll don't make the same mistake again. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is going to have to give the seat up sometime, I only hope she can hang on until 2020. When she retires, only the status quo will be the result if we elect a democrat president. Unless Thomas Clarence retires. So there is a reason not to cut off your nose to spite your face...again.
revelette1

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:05 am
@RABEL222,
I thought there was a chance Roberts would. I was wrong, I think. Still hope spring eternal and all that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:13 am
@revelette1,
Win with Bernie.
revelette1

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:17 am
@Lash,
I'll be fine with a win with Bernie, fine with whoever else gets it too for the reason I outlined in my previous post. The supreme court rules on issues which affect our lives and the laws congress passes. It's too important to ignore.
blatham

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 09:29 am
I've just found this excellent Bob Herbert filmed interview with Eric Alterman. Eric is really quite an extraordinary journalist. Do watch as it is absolutely worth your time http://bit.ly/2ITG9Rc
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 01:46 pm
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/4/24/headlines/nyt_report_navy_seals_were_ordered_to_remain_silent_on_war_crimes?fbclid=IwAR2g7kzOdiPy0wJIhTicrswZHnxM3iiX3UBiQ233lZX4LTnEsHOL3nd3xfY

The New York Times is reporting that Navy SEALs who witnessed their platoon chief commit war crimes in Iraq were encouraged not to speak out, and told they could lose their jobs for reporting him at a private meeting with a superior officer last year. According to a confidential Navy criminal investigation obtained by the Times, the commandos said they saw Special Operations Chief Edward Gallagher stab and kill an unarmed teenage captive, shoot to death a young girl and old man, and fire indiscriminately into crowds of civilians. But when the men on Gallagher’s team called a private meeting with their troop commander and demanded an investigation, they were told to stay quiet on the matter, and no action was taken. The group of seven SEALs eventually were able to force an investigation, and Chief Edward Gallagher was arrested in September on more than a dozen charges, including premeditated murder and attempted murder. If convicted, he could face life in prison. His trial begins May 28.
————————————

Assange, Manning, Snowden, these guys.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 02:51 pm
The American right has All The Best People these days
Quote:
Indicted Coast Guard Officer Targeted SCOTUS Justices, Wanted ‘Race War’

The white nationalist Coast Guard officer accused of stockpiling weapons and drafting a kill list must remain in custody pending trial because he “poses a substantial risk of danger to the community,” prosecutors said in a Tuesday filing laying out additional evidence.
http://bit.ly/2IESIk0
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 02:57 pm
The American right has All The Best People these days, again
Quote:
A Florida man who mailed crudely made pipe bombs to prominent critics of President Donald Trump said he abused steroids for over 40 years, an issue his lawyers say they’ll cite at sentencing.

Cesar Sayoc made the assertion in lengthy and rambling letters to a federal judge that were posted in his court case file Tuesday.

Sayoc, 57, pleaded guilty to explosives-related charges in March and faces a mandatory 10-year prison term and up to life in prison when he’s sentenced Aug. 5. His lawyers told the judge in a different letter that a psychiatrist with specialized knowledge of the effects steroids can have on mental health will compose a report on Sayoc’s extensive steroid use prior to that sentencing date.

He said he never intended to injure anyone when he mailed 16 rudimentary bombs to CNN offices and numerous Democrats, including former presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama, former Vice President Joe Biden, members of Congress and actor Robert De Niro.
http://bit.ly/2IDEU9p
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 03:28 pm
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/noam-chomsky-democrats-may-have-handed-trump-the-2020-election/

Noam Chomsky on Trump, the Moderate Republican Democrat Party, and 2020.

As Attorney General William Barr releases Robert Mueller’s long-anticipated report into Russian interference in the 2016 election, we speak with world-renowned political dissident, linguist and author Noam Chomsky about what he sees as the political perils of “Russiagate.”

AMY GOODMAN: Can you share your analysis of President Trump? You have lived through so many presidents. Explain President Trump to us and assess the massive response to him.

NOAM CHOMSKY: Well, Trump is—you know, I think there are a number of illusions about Trump. If you take a look at the Trump phenomenon, it’s not very surprising. Think back for the last 10 or 15 years over Republican Party primaries, and remember what happened during the primaries. Each primary, when some candidate rose from the base, they were so outlandish that the Republican establishment tried to crush them and succeeded in doing it—Michele Bachmann, Herman Cain, Rick Santorum. Anyone who was coming out of the base was totally unacceptable to the establishment. The change in 2016 is they couldn’t crush him.

But the interesting question is: Why was this happening? Why, in election after election, was the voting base producing a candidate utterly intolerable to the establishment? And the answer to that is—if you think about that, the answer is not very hard to discover. During the—since the 1970s, during this neoliberal period, both of the political parties have shifted to the right. The Democrats, by the 1970s, had pretty much abandoned the working class. I mean, the last gasp of more or less progressive Democratic Party legislative proposals was the Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Act in 1978, which Carter watered down so that it had no teeth, just became voluntary. But the Democrats had pretty much abandoned the working class. They became pretty much what used to be called moderate Republicans. Meanwhile, the Republicans shifted so far to the right that they went completely off the spectrum. Two of the leading political analysts of the American Enterprise Institute, Thomas Mann, Norman Ornstein, about five or 10 years ago, described the Republican Party as what they called a “radical insurgency” that has abandoned parliamentary politics.

Well, why did that happen? It happened because the Republicans face a difficult problem. They have a primary constituency, a real constituency: extreme wealth and corporate power. That’s who they have to serve. That’s their constituency. You can’t get votes that way, so you have to do something else to get votes. What do you do to get votes? This was begun by Richard Nixon with the Southern strategy: try to pick up racists in the South. The mid-1970s, Paul Weyrich, one of the Republican strategists, hit on a brilliant idea. Northern Catholics voted Democratic, tended to vote Democratic, a lot of them working-class. The Republicans could pick up that vote by pretending—crucially, “pretending”—to be opposed to abortion. By the same pretense, they could pick up the evangelical vote. Those are big votes—evangelicals, northern Catholics. Notice the word “pretense.” It’s crucial. You go back to the 1960s, every leading Republican figure was strongly, what we call now, pro-choice. The Republican Party position was—that’s Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, all the leadership—their position was: Abortion is not the government’s business; it’s private business—government has nothing to say about it. They turned almost on a dime in order to try to pick up a voting base on what are called cultural issues. Same with gun rights. Gun rights become a matter of holy writ because you can pick up part of the population that way. In fact, what they’ve done is put together a coalition of voters based on issues that are basically, you know, tolerable to the establishment, but they don’t like it. OK? And they’ve got to hold that, those two constituencies, together. The real constituency of wealth and corporate power, they’re taken care of by the actual legislation.

So, if you look at the legislation under Trump, it’s just lavish gifts to the wealth and the corporate sector—the tax bill, the deregulation, you know, every case in point. That’s kind of the job of Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan, those guys. They serve the real constituency. Meanwhile, Trump has to maintain the voting constituency, with one outrageous position after another that appeals to some sector of the voting base. And he’s doing it very skillfully. As just as a political manipulation, it’s skillful. Work for the rich and the powerful, shaft everybody else, but get their votes—that’s not an easy trick. And he’s carrying it off.

And, I should say, the Democrats are helping him. They are. Take the focus on Russiagate. What’s that all about? I mean, it was pretty obvious at the beginning that you’re not going to find anything very serious about Russian interference in elections. I mean, for one thing, it’s undetectable. I mean, in the 2016 election, the Senate and the House went the same way as the executive, but nobody claims there was Russian interference there. In fact, you know, Russian interference in the election, if it existed, was very slight, much less, say, than interference by, say, Israel. Israel, the prime minister, Netanyahu, goes to Congress and talks to a joint session of Congress, without even informing the White House, to attack Obama’s policies. I mean, that’s dramatic interference with elections. Whatever the Russians tried, it’s not going to be anything like that. And, in fact, there’s no interference in elections that begins to compare with campaign funding. Remember that campaign funding alone gives you a very high prediction of electoral outcome. It’s, again, Tom Ferguson’s major work which has shown this very persuasively. That’s massive interference in elections. Anything the Russians might have done is going to be, you know, peanuts in comparison. As far as Trump collusion with the Russians, that was never going to amount to anything more than minor corruption, maybe building a Trump hotel in Red Square or something like that, but nothing of any significance.

The Democrats invested everything in this issue. Well, turned out there was nothing much there. They gave Trump a huge gift. In fact, they may have handed him the next election. That’s just a—that’s a matter of being so unwilling to deal with fundamental issues, that they’re looking for something on the side that will somehow give political success. The real issues are different things. They’re things like climate change, like global warming, like the Nuclear Posture Review, deregulation. These are real issues. But the Democrats aren’t going after those. They’re looking for something else—the Democratic establishment. I’m not talking about the young cohort that’s coming in, which is quite different. Just all of that has to be shifted significantly, if there’s going to be a legitimate political opposition to the right-wing drift that’s taking place. And it can happen, can definitely happen, but it’s going to take work.

AMY GOODMAN: The world-renowned linguist and political dissident Noam Chomsky, speaking at the Old South Church in Boston last Thursday night. Go to democracynow.org to see more of the interview and to see his speech. You can go to democracynow.org for our video and audio podcasts, as well as transcripts of all of our shows.

Democracy Now! has an immediate opening for a paid, full-time digital fellowship here in New York City. We also are accepting applications for paid, 6-month internships. Learn more at democracynow.org.
blatham

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 03:58 pm
The American right has All The Best people, again and again
Quote:
Stephen Moore, President Donald Trump’s pick for a seat on the Federal Reserve Board, frequently told audiences that Fox News’ motto is “fair, balanced, and blonde” and that he enjoyed working there because he “met a lot of beautiful women.”

Moore has come under fire in recent days for his sexist commentary about women. CNN’s Andrew Kaczynski and Paul LeBlanc reported that he “has written that women should be banned from refereeing, announcing or beer vending at men's college basketball games, asking if there was any area in life ‘where men can take vacation from women.’”
http://bit.ly/2IEx0MX
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 04:47 pm
@Lash,
Chomsky is a smart guy. But his political theory is, of course, questionable.
Quote:
Two of the leading political analysts of the American Enterprise Institute, Thomas Mann, Norman Ornstein, about five or 10 years ago, described the Republican Party as what they called a “radical insurgency” that has abandoned parliamentary politics.
Quite right. There are a host of books that deal with this history and detail the asymmetry in US politics. I've noted many here. An omission (probably due to briefness of the interview format) is the purposeful creation by conservative strategists in the 70s of a wide range of media-related entities designed to forward right wing ideas (some legit, many others not) into the political dialogue. The Federalist Society, as one example, has given us the present Supreme Court and other deeply ideological judges because that was its mission. And all of this began after Goldwater's election loss in '64. It just took a while for this far right element to organize. Let me add here too that these folks, supported by corporate interests often with far right interests, had the benefit of 50 years of refined marketing knowledge and techniques. This knowledge and expertise was almost entirely within the corporate realm. This is where we saw the rise of "front groups", covert operations with disguised funding and interests but with euphemistic names designed to look either the opposite of what their intentions were or designed to seem benign/populist/democratic, etc.

Quote:
Well, why did that happen? It happened because the Republicans face a difficult problem. They have a primary constituency, a real constituency: extreme wealth and corporate power. That’s who they have to serve. That’s their constituency. You can’t get votes that way, so you have to do something else to get votes.
That's exactly right. And for a couple of decades now, the GOP have sought to ameliorate this problem through various techniques in voter suppression.

Quote:
What do you do to get votes? This was begun by Richard Nixon with the Southern strategy: try to pick up racists in the South. The mid-1970s, Paul Weyrich, one of the Republican strategists, hit on a brilliant idea.
Also right. I've encouraged folks here to get educated on Weyrich and I suppose one or three might have.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Trump has to maintain the voting constituency, with one outrageous position after another that appeals to some sector of the voting base. And he’s doing it very skillfully. As just as a political manipulation, it’s skillful.
This is also exactly correct.

Quote:
And, I should say, the Democrats are helping him. They are. Take the focus on Russiagate. What’s that all about? I mean, it was pretty obvious at the beginning that you’re not going to find anything very serious about Russian interference in elections. I mean, for one thing, it’s undetectable. I mean, in the 2016 election, the Senate and the House went the same way as the executive, but nobody claims there was Russian interference there. In fact, you know, Russian interference in the election, if it existed, was very slight, much less, say, than interference by, say, Israel.
Here Chomsky gets it wrong. Russian interference was detectable but simply was detected to late. It's true (I've argued this here before) that Israel's manipulation of US politics far outweighs Russian influence - it's been going on much longer and has far deeper roots in both parties. But that doesn't make Russian influence of late less significant or less destructive.

Quote:
The Democrats invested everything in this issue. Well, turned out there was nothing much there. They gave Trump a huge gift. In fact, they may have handed him the next election.
Wildly exaggerated on all points.

Quote:
That’s just a—that’s a matter of being so unwilling to deal with fundamental issues, that they’re looking for something on the side that will somehow give political success.
I think that's reasonable but insufficient. Or too purist to be of much help, historically. We ought to have better comprehended what the right was up to after being driven to serious fears of events of the 60s - kids in Che shirts building a new consensus on the evils of unfettered capitalism and on the fear of deep social change disrupting systems that benefited those in power. We, my generation of liberals, ought to have been much more alert to what was going on. We ought not to have been so smug and self-congratulatory. We thought we'd won the battle between democratic values against hierarchies of power and wealth.

As to present "unwillingness" to deal with issues like climate change, decimation of unions, etc, unwillingness is entirely the wrong word. We just didn't see this coming and when it arrived, political solutions were and remain quite unclear. And it is false to suggest that Dems have put all their eggs in the Russia influence/corruption story. Simply look at Warren's weekly policy prescriptions for going forward. Look at the ACA. etc

Edit: I doubt there are many Dem office holders or candidates who have not read or heard stuff from Chomsky. But I don't think there has been any campaign, no matter how far left, that has invited him to act as campaign adviser. That's not his expertise.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 05:19 pm
@blatham,
Interesting quotes from Chomsky and comments on them. some observations from my perspective;
blatham wrote:

Chomsky is a smart guy. But his political theory is, of course, questionable.

Quote:
Well, why did that happen? It happened because the Republicans face a difficult problem. They have a primary constituency, a real constituency: extreme wealth and corporate power. That’s who they have to serve. That’s their constituency. You can’t get votes that way, so you have to do something else to get votes.
That's exactly right. ]

That of course is an article of Faith among Democrats, but I don't believe it's true. In the first place most major corporate givers provide donations to both parties, just to cover their bets. Some like the Koch Brothers are dedicated Republicans, but so are major corporate givers in the entertainment and immense IT industries, most of the public media, all equally dedicated democrats . Finally Trump won many votes on the basis of his direct populist appeal in a campaign to reach them that didn't cost much at all, and much of it was based on popular dissatisfaction with the Democrat Administration of the previous eight years.
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Trump has to maintain the voting constituency, with one outrageous position after another that appeals to some sector of the voting base. And he’s doing it very skillfully. As just as a political manipulation, it’s skillful.
This is also exactly correct.

This is equally applicable to Democrat's actions to appeal to their equally distinct voting base sectors. The only distinction to be made here is the particular sectors involved: the political methodologies in both are nearly identical.
blatham wrote:

Quote:
And, I should say, the Democrats are helping him. They are. Take the focus on Russiagate. What’s that all about? I mean, it was pretty obvious at the beginning that you’re not going to find anything very serious about Russian interference in elections. I mean, for one thing, it’s undetectable. I mean, in the 2016 election, the Senate and the House went the same way as the executive, but nobody claims there was Russian interference there. In fact, you know, Russian interference in the election, if it existed, was very slight, much less, say, than interference by, say, Israel.
Here Chomsky gets it wrong. Russian interference was detectable but simply was detected to late. It's true (I've argued this here before) that Israel's manipulation of US politics far outweighs Russian influence - it's been going on much longer and has far deeper roots in both parties. But that doesn't make Russian influence of late less significant or less destructive.
Here I agree with Chomsky. We are able to detect some of the specific actions the Russians took in various social media platforms, but we don't know their effects (or lack of them) on voters. As Chomsky suggests there's little statistical evidence to suggest that it was very effective in the State, Congressional and Presidential outcomes, all of which exhibited the same underlying trends . I suspect the driver here is Democrat outrage at loosing an election they thought was surely theirs and their unwillingness to accept the proposition that it was the fault of their previous policies, their candidate or their platform. The obvious truth is that there was widespread dissatisfaction with each of these.

I hope you are feeling better and getting the medical care indicated by your recent symptoms.
blatham

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
That of course is an article of Faith among Democrats, but I don't believe it's true.
I'm aware you don't. But you've attended to none of the great body of literature on this. Michael Moore surfaced a video of Bush speaking to his wealthy corporate donors beginning with, "You guys are my real base" (paraphrased but no corruption of meaning).

Quote:
In the first place most major corporate givers provide donations to both parties, just to cover their bets
. Of course they do, but there is nothing like symmetry on this. Further, the corporate entities that fund Republicans do so specifically such that their profit potentials will not be damaged by government programs. It's all about money.

Quote:
Some like the Koch Brothers are dedicated Republicans,
Actually no. The Koch's latched on to the GOP after David VP candidacy for the Libertarian Party (the John Birch crowd) failed. Their present power over the GOP and how that came about is the subject of Jane Mayer's Dark Money, which I know you'll never read.

Quote:
but so are major corporate givers in the entertainment and immense IT industries, most of the public media, all equally dedicated democrats
That most are democrats (at least those down from the executive level) says nothing more than what a survey of Walmart staff would tell us. But the film or music industries are not purposefully working towards getting their people into positions of power so that they might influence broad government policies in the manner of the extraction industries. We could make a long list of people high in the Trump administration who have worked at (or for) the interests of fossil fuels etc but you would be unable to make any such list of people in the Obama cabinet who operated there to forward the interests of film, music, dance, museums, etc.

Quote:
the political methodologies in both are nearly identical.
Again, you hold this as an item of faith but are unwilling to study the large amount of literature on the subject.

Quote:
I suspect the driver here is Democrat outrage at loosing an election they thought was surely theirs and their unwillingness to accept the proposition that it was the fault of their previous policies, their candidate or their platform.
That's Trump/Fox boilerplate. Neither of whom will acknowledge that Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million. That fact turns each of your suggestions upside down.

PS... thank you for your kind and sincere wishes. I'm feeling considerably better today though my ass really hurts. As it is just one side, I gather it is from my hospital bed rather than anything that might have happened while I was unconscious.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:57 pm
@Lash,
Isn't Chomsky that guy who was busted for lying about Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Or have I confused one leftist nutcase for another?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:58 pm
@revelette1,

More like his effort to prevent leftists from rigging the census.

Masses of illegal immigrants should not influence the apportionment of congressional districts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 24 Apr, 2019 06:59 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
The supreme court rules on issues which affect our lives and the laws congress passes. It's too important to ignore.

Democrats appoint justices who allow our civil liberties to be violated.

Trump appoints justices who protect our civil liberties.

Reelect Trump to protect our freedom.