Lash

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 05:03 pm
@Brand X,
Just like last time. Nate Silver is in somebody’s payroll.

Pollsters can have a huge impact on elections. He’s a lying cheating son of a bitch.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 05:13 pm
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
@AOC
·
24m
This puts me in danger every time.

Almost every time this uncalled for rhetoric gets blasted by conserv. grps, we get a spike in death threats to refer to Capitol Police.

Multiple ppl have been arrested trying to harm me, Ilhan, & others.

@GOP, what’s it going to take to stop
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 05:28 pm
Tulsi Gabbard
@TulsiGabbard
·
33m
Thank you! I’m extremely grateful that over 65,000 of you have now donated to our campaign, ensuring our voice will be heard in the upcoming debates. For a small campaign that doesn’t accept PAC money, I knew we had to rely fully on the power of the people. Aloha & Mahalo!

————————
Wooooohooooooo!!!!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:52 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Sorry to see you’re so far from who I thought you were.

When the Secret Service checks out the volume and tenor of threats, they allocate resources based on that.

Ignoring you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.axios.com/death-threats-targeting-freshmen-reps-aoc-ilhan-omar-b73154d8-3790-49f4-9bcb-2ba0c6c7fcd0.html

Details: Ocasio-Cortez has received so many death threats that it has prompted Capitol Police to train her staff to conduct risk assessments for everyone who comes through her office, reports Time Magazine. When critics came after Omar for her comments about 9/11, threats followed as well.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 11:59 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
I've checked, they don't.

The information is classified, this means you likely are not going to find a listing of all the individual threats.

I know that already.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 12:02 am
@Sturgis,
Significant of what?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 04:31 am
Trump gets as many threats as Obama got—Secret Service. (Dated)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/102400210

On average, agents have been pursuing six to eight threat reports each day, the new Secret Service Director Randolph "Tex" Alles told reporters Thursday.

That number that has remained relatively consistent for the past decade, regardless of the officeholder, the retired Marine Corps major general said in his first briefing since his appointment by Trump in April.

The remarks come as the agency was confronted just this week with a grim stunt organized by actress Kathy Griffin who was photographed holding a fake, severed head in the image of Trump. Griffin's actions, which drew direct rebukes from Trump and First Lady Melania Trump, has set in motion a formal investigation. The Secret Service will question the actress.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 09:34 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
In fact, I doubt there is or ever was an audit.
You think this President might lie to protect himself? What kind of American are you anyway?

Of course it's a lie. It's legally irrelevant in any case so why pretend otherwise unless he's hiding a lot.

If we understand that the man is a sociopath, our ability to predict how he will act and the sorts of things he will claim as truths increases significantly.
snood

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 09:41 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
In fact, I doubt there is or ever was an audit.
You think this President might lie to protect himself? What kind of American are you anyway?

Of course it's a lie. It's legally irrelevant in any case so why pretend otherwise unless he's hiding a lot.

If we understand that the man is a sociopath, our ability to predict how he will act and the sorts of things he will claim as truths increases significantly.

Yeah, like we should let recent past behavior inform our predictions about how someone will behave.😇
blatham

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 09:51 am
@snood,
Quote:
Yeah, like we should let recent past behavior inform our predictions about how someone will behave
Silly notion, ain't it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:36 am
Democratic presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren wants to raise $1 trillion in revenue with a new 7% tax on corporate profits over $100 million

The proposed surtax would prevent Amazon and other companies with profits exceeding $100 million from wiping out their tax liabilities altogether.

Instead of taxable corporate income as defined by the IRS, the 7% surtax would apply to profits companies report to their investors.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/11/elizabeth-warren-targets-corporate-profits-with-new-7percent-surtax-proposal.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain&fbclid=IwAR1Eika97p9cumqroTIHoJVDyBGC8iizOAItPTWBGmhraqygO8GfCLUU1qY
nimh

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:38 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

How can I explain this to you? Omar’s numbers of death threats from the demographic of people who pull off actual murders are high, religious and anti-Muslim sentiment which is rife in this country is driving threats against her, and she has been warned.

Presumably only going to get worse after that NY Post front page... Shocked
Lash

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:40 am
@Brand X,
I like this. Wonder how Bernie’s policy re business taxes compares.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:53 am
@nimh,
I hadn’t seen it. AOC is taking it head on on Twitter.

This is so sad. I wonder what it must be like to get all these death threats—and then seeing stunts like this, designed to multiply them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mediaite.com/online/ny-post-condemned-for-using-photo-of-9-11-in-front-page-attacking-rep-omar-journalistically-and-morally-wrong/amp/

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 11:59 am
@nimh,
Quote:
Presumably only going to get worse after that NY Post front page...
How unusual to see a Murdoch publication to behave in such a manner. Unheard of, really. He's a force for good in the world.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 12:04 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

You come across as a very angry person, though.

Snood doesn't come across angrier than several other posters here. Can't help wonder why he keeps getting singled out for the "you come across as angry" treatment.
blatham

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 12:08 pm
Re Assange, the Trump administration and the corruption of modern US conservatism.
Quote:
President-elect Trump says that information published by Wikileaks, which the U.S. intelligence community says was hacked by Russia, had “absolutely no effect on the outcome of the election.” This was not the view of candidate Trump, who talked about Wikileaks and the content of the emails it released at least 164 times in last month of the campaign.
TP

Quote:
Up until 2016, conservatives were generally more critical than liberals of WikiLeaks, given the conservatives’ greater suspicion of whistle-blowers and the idea of exposing government secrets. I’m sure many of them felt a twinge of ambivalence when the organization to which they had been so hostile joined the Trump cause and their candidate himself began praising them lavishly on the campaign trail. “I love WikiLeaks!” Trump proclaimed, and mentioned them 164 times in the final month of the campaign. But they got over it; to take just one example, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who became intensely critical of WikiLeaks after the election, was a big fan during the campaign.
Waldman

CNN - "CIA director Mike Pompeo repeatedly cited WikiLeaks to attack Clinton during campaign"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 01:05 pm
Proof as clear and solid as can be that the two parties are just the same. That it matters not at all which one gains power.
Quote:
Texas Bill Would Make Abortion Punishable by the Death Penalty
NYMag
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 01:13 pm
More on Trump and Assange
Quote:
In the month before his election in 2016, then-candidate Donald Trump uttered the word WikiLeaks 141 times.

But conveniently on Thursday, just after WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was arrested in London and charged by federal prosecutors with hacking a government computer network, Trump seems to know “nothing” about the website he used to “love.”

“I know nothing about WikiLeaks, it’s not my thing,” he told reporters Thursday. “I know there is something having to do with Julian Assange, I’ve been seeing what’s happened with Assange and that will be a determination I would imagine by the attorney general who is doing an excellent job so he will be making a determination. I know nothing really about him, it’s not my deal in life.”

Fortunately, Trump can’t rewrite history on this issue. The receipts are everywhere.

In October of that year, Trump could barely go a week without singing WikiLeaks praises:

— Oct. 10, 2016: “WikiLeaks, I love WikiLeaks.”

— Oct. 13, 2016: “It’s amazing what’s coming out on WikiLeaks. … They want to distract us from WikiLeaks.”

— Oct. 20, 2016: “We’ve learned so much from WikiLeaks.”

— Oct. 29, 2016: “This WikiLeaks is fascinating.”

— Oct. 31, 2016: “This WikiLeaks is like a treasure trove.”
Lots more at TPM

But it is no longer of any concern whatsoever from Trump supporters/defenders that he lies like this every day. Every day. This presents no challenge to democracy. This, apparently, is how democracy is supposed to work. Indeed, the more dishonest a GOP leader is, the more appropriately he is acting as head of state. That would seem to be the formula.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 01:16 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:
Snood doesn't come across angrier than several other posters here. Can't help wonder why he keeps getting singled out for the "you come across as angry" treatment.

I don’t know that he gets singled out for it. He is certainly not the only one of us who’s a bit edgy these days. I am guilty of some of that too.

In Snood’s case, a certain level of ‘grudge’ about Sanders and his followers is noticeable, I think. And I have taken issue with this sort of attitude, which I find unhelpful politically (also when it applies to Clinton or to centrist democrats, of course). I believe the US left (broadly speaking) must unite to beat Trump.
0 Replies