of the common citizen.

Sounds like Communism.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:45 am
And speaking of trojan horses
Quote:
Rob@philosophrob
Howard "I've been a lifelong Democrat" Schultz has donated to the following Republicans:

• John Cornyn
• Ted Cruz
• Joni Ernst
• Cory Gardner
• Lindsey Graham
• Jeb Hensarling
• James Lankford
• Mitch McConnell
• Rob Portman
• Pat Toomey
• Mac Thornberry
• Lee Zeldin

5:23 PM - 5 Apr 2019
oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:50 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
It may be tedious for you to read this, but I will point out once again that Sanders was never a Democrat until it became convenient for him in his bid for the White House.

If Sanders decided to cut ties with the Democrats and run for president as an independent or perhaps some sort of third party candidate, I'd support him in such a move.

Just to be clear, I don't mean that I'd support his candidacy. I mean I would support his choice to run as something other than a Democrat.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:51 am
@edgarblythe,
If the BEST answer to my concerns about Sanders is “nice piece of propaganda” then your guy is doomed.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Sanders was the mayor of Burlington, which hardly qualifies much for experience on how to govern. Mr. Obama had a Democratic Congress once, from 2009 to 2011. He passed the Affordable Care Act. Sanders initially supported the ACA, but then bailed when he came up with his medicare for all plan. Sanders has not reliably supported progessive initiatives which have actually been passed.

FDR's alphabet soup agencies got shot down by the Supremes. When FDR tried to pack the Supreme Court, even the Democrats would not go along with that. Comparing Sanders to FDR is not a felicitous comparison.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:10 pm
Quote:
VIDEO----> AOC Uses FAKE ACCENT In Speech To Black Audience

Did she learn that from Killary? Pandering and patronizing means she has **** for a message.
https://www.hapblog.com/2019/04/video-aoc-uses-fake-accent-in-speech-to.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:13 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Nothing says Leninist tyranny like encouraging every citizen to vote or holding that non-voters fail as civic participants.

I know, right? I was like, wtf does he mean? Equating everyone to vote is authoritarian tyranny?

Must be one of those exquisite, subtle concepts that only the most sublime intellects like george’s can discern.

Or maybe he’s just out to lunch again.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:17 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Or maybe he’s just out to lunch again.

You are punching up. A sure way to lose.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And speaking of trojan horses
Quote:
Rob@philosophrob
Howard "I've been a lifelong Democrat" Schultz has donated to the following Republicans:

• John Cornyn
• Ted Cruz
• Joni Ernst
• Cory Gardner
• Lindsey Graham
• Jeb Hensarling
• James Lankford
• Mitch McConnell

• Rob Portman
• Pat Toomey
• Mac Thornberry
• Lee Zeldin

5:23 PM - 5 Apr 2019

Biden helped a Republican hold his senate seat in the last election.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:21 pm
@maporsche,
You didn't see my note about revelette's post and my reply?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:29 pm
@snood,
There is a parallel universe where george dropped acid and went down a better sort of rabbit hole than the one he found in this universe.

Mind you, in that other universe, I prefer to wear women's panties. So, big contrast for george, none for me.
blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Biden helped a Republican hold his senate seat in the last election.
Don't know about this. Link?
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:34 pm
@Setanta,
He didn't stay the mayor.
ACA was only good for some and insurance companies. In states such as Texas, they never bought into it and it was not particularly affordable. I knew an unemployed man who applied online from here and he was quoted two or three hundred per month. It was better than nothing, but nothing compared to Medicare for all.

He has supported progressive initiatives, however.

It's not so much Roosevelt the man I was shooting for, but the New Deal, which if we had it once we should be demanding it back, instead of looking to incrementalize standing up to the Republican onslaught.

Nobody yet has tried to explain to me how Democrats we have elected since Reagan, have consistently let the country slide into the shape it's in now. I get, the Koch brothers did this, the Republicans masterminded this scam on us. But, the Democrats we elected in all this time knew what was going on and didn't complain about much of it. Clinton was praised for a political genius, for seizing Republican plans and making them his own.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:37 pm
@snood,
Australians are required by law to vote. Goddamned Commies!
edgarblythe

@blatham,
Joe Biden’s Paid Speech Buoyed the G.O.P. in Midwest Battleground
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/23/us/politics/biden-speech-fred-upton.html
revelette1

@edgarblythe,
Quote:
He would not in my opinion do as Obama did, when he had both houses, and sit on his hands

Neither did Obama, he passed Obamacare and he made decisions which got us out of a recession. He only had a small window of time for a full majority and I think he did a lot with it.
revelette1

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well, I have to give it to you, edgar, that is disappointing in Biden, more disqualifying in my judgement than his manner towards personal space. Leaves me personally in a pickle as to whom to support. Maybe there is a reason Obama has not yet come out in support of a Biden run.
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
Talk about throwing the baby out with the bath water. In 2013 and 2014, the Democrats tried to expand the ACA to bolster Medicaid. Sanders would not support it in the Senate because he already had the White House fever and was banging on about his medicare for all. People sneer at incrementalism, but politics is the art of the possible. It's better to pile up small accomplishments than to have none at all. Sanders is all about his big dream, and a populist appeal --just like Trump.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 12:59 pm
@revelette1,
When the Democrats could have passed anything they wanted - not speaking about ACA (which I think he could have pushed through Medicare for all if he had tried), there were no moves to pass anything else meaningful.
livinglava

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 01:00 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Well, I have to give it to you, edgar, that is disappointing in Biden, more disqualifying in my judgement than his manner towards personal space. Leaves me personally in a pickle as to whom to support. Maybe there is a reason Obama has not yet come out in support of a Biden run.

Gender politics. The Democratic party is the party of social justice for women and minorities. Hillary was supposed to break the glass ceiling of the presidency, but that failed. Now the House of Reps has become the latest glass ceiling, so they are celebrating more female-held seats, but they would still like to achieve the presidency as well.

Right now there are accusations about Biden being too touchy-feely with women, which is a general code to promote female candidates women can supposedly feel comfortable with. I don't know at what point they'll start calling out lesbian gropers, assuming such people exist, but that probably won't happen for a while because they are focused on combating sexuality injustice first.

I don't think they can just straight-out overtly discriminate against white men for the sake of pursuing gender-justice, so I think they find other ways to criticize men for their gender, e.g. by calling them out for touching and groping. Generally I would say touching and groping are bad, so they are indefensible, but the reality is that the accusations are always targeted toward men in power or in candidate positions for power. It's not like every woman who has been touched/groped/harassed is calling out every perpetrator; just as very few if any men are calling out women who have touched them or otherwise made them feel uncomfortable.

Even if men were complaining about being uncomfortable, it wouldn't motivate voter retaliation the way it does when men are accused of it. Generally, men are expected to deal with discomfort while women are supposed to be spared it. This is an asymmetry in traditional gender role expectations that is being exploited for political/tactical goals.

0 Replies