maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 08:24 am
@revelette1,
It seems like a lot of his supporters don't think that Sanders could possibly lose the primary because people prefer someone else.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 08:32 am
@revelette1,
I think the nose god gave me detracts from my appearance. So I'm going to cut it off.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 08:46 am
Posted this note elsewhere but it's important. Go to https://www.vox.com/ and watch the video titled Why Tucker Carlson pretends to hate elites. Excellent piece that demonstrates how full of **** this jerkwad is.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:07 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

EB here complains about what might be described as "business as usual." But criticizing other Democrats, just because they're not Sanders is also business as usual. Try convincing others that Sanders' programs are achievable, and that he is electable. Try sounding positive. Whining about the Democratic nomination process doesn't help, either. Warts and all, the Democratic Party is the only hope for us all in the fight against the corporate greed which the Republicans represent.

You've never given any good reasons why Sanders should not be elected. You say his objectives cannot be achieved. How do you know? Since when do you give up trying to do the right thing, simply because it's hard? The old line Democrats like Biden had their chance, ever since Reagan, and they blew it. Why does repeating the same formula yet again suddenly translate to victory? As for Sanders, the worst outcome would be that he worked for the people, instead of the status quo.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:08 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Re: Setanta (Post 6821510)
Establishment democrats also represent corporate greed.
Do you know of a government somewhere which does not include business as a necessary component of modern society?

Nobody has moved to eliminate corporations, just put them under control, like any other component of society.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:10 am
@revelette1,

I didn't open the link, but the only way to get Bernie supporters to quit being upset is to have a level playing field this time around.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:13 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Posted this note elsewhere but it's important. Go to https://www.vox.com/ and watch the video titled Why Tucker Carlson pretends to hate elites. Excellent piece that demonstrates how full of **** this jerkwad is.

I couldn't find anything mentioning him at the link.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:14 am
Carry on. I may be back later.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I didn't open the link, but the only way to get Bernie supporters to quit being upset is to have a level playing field this time around.

Could you define what that means to you?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:33 am
@edgarblythe,
I am not sure that is the worst that could happen. As we have found out with Trump, there is a lot a President can do on his own to give a run around congress. Sometimes that is good, but sometimes it is not. Sanders seems to be a little extreme on the left and I just don't have confidence in his ideas to date to implement his ideas. In fact his health plan leaves a lot discretion up to the Executive Branch.

Berniecare leaves enormous discretion to the executive branch
maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 09:36 am
@edgarblythe,
There are many good reasons why Sanders may not be elected both in the primary and in the general election. He won’t get my vote in the Primaries because I think his strategy, his plan and his agenda is wrong for the America that exists today and I don’t think he’ll be an effective president. I think he may be one of the least effective as he’s shown very little ability in his career to work with anyone who slightly disagrees with him. He couldn’t even help his own state implement a Medicare for all program. I think of the current crop of Democratic candidates that he would be able to do the least to actually progress causes he cares about. He’ll get my vote in November though if he makes it that far. At the very least because I think electing Sanders gives Trump a VERY strong chance of winning and he’ll need every vote.

And it’s not politicians who have failed, it’s the American public who has failed. Anyone who doesn’t get out and vote is failing America.

You don’t get social policies in place by sitting out the vote and allowing Reagan, Bush, Bush, and Trump to get elected. Stop having to “feel inspired” to vote for a candidate and just get out there and do the responsible thing.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 10:30 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
And it’s not politicians who have failed, it’s the American public who has failed. Anyone who doesn’t get out and vote is failing America.

The essential message of a true crypto authoritarian "progressive". Lenin said something like that.
maporsche

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 10:44 am
@georgeob1,
We'll agree to disagree.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,
Down a bit, on the right side, under "video"
blatham

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 10:59 am
@georgeob1,
Nothing says Leninist tyranny like encouraging every citizen to vote or holding that non-voters fail as civic participants.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:04 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I am not sure that is the worst that could happen. As we have found out with Trump, there is a lot a President can do on his own to give a run around congress. Sometimes that is good, but sometimes it is not. Sanders seems to be a little extreme on the left and I just don't have confidence in his ideas to date to implement his ideas. In fact his health plan leaves a lot discretion up to the Executive Branch.

Berniecare
leaves enormous discretion to the executive branch

If Roosevelt's vision is extreme, I plead guilty. Sanders is not out of the mainstream of what the majority wants. It is the politicians who are gradually letting themselves move past the center, to the far right. He has been in government a lot of years and understands how government works. It is the function of propaganda to make him seem radical.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:07 am
@maporsche,
Very good propaganda effort. See my reply to revelette.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:09 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Down a bit, on the right side, under "video"

Found it. Saw it elsewhere. I agree with you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:11 am
@edgarblythe,
I haven't said that he shouldn't be elected, I have questioned whether he would be elected. I strongly suspect that Lash supports him (now that Clinton's out of the way) because she believes he can't be elected. Nor have I said that one should not do the right thing just because it's hard. The question is whether the Sanders agenda can be pushed through Congress, and Sanders knows how that works. If, for example, Sanders were elected, and the Democrats were to take over the Senate, if they don't get 60% of the seats, the Republicans can filibuster any bill to death. It helps if the voters know how the system works, too. You won't change the status quo unless progressives take over the Democratic Party. Frankly, I don't believe Sanders would want to change the status quo if he saw it as helping him out. It may be tedious for you to read this, but I will point out once again that Sanders was never a Democrat until it became convenient for him in his bid for the White House.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2019 11:23 am
@Setanta,
He always caucuses with Democrats. His home state has declared him a Democrat. He has signed a pledge to function as a Democrat. So, I don't see that as relevant, except as a tool to hold him back.

He has the experience and know how to govern. He would not in my opinion do as Obama did, when he had both houses, and sit on his hands. He would look to make opportunities to accomplish an agenda to the benefit of the common citizen. Roosevelt did not achieve his New Deal in the first term. He had to build and get lucky with circumstances.