hightor

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 04:10 am
@Lash,
I disagree:

Quote:
In his State of the City address that March, Mr. Buttigieg said it was “time for South Bend to begin talking about racial reconciliation.”

“There is no contradiction between respecting the risks that police officers take every day in order to protect this community, and recognizing the need to overcome the biases implicit in a justice system that treats people from different backgrounds differently,” Mr. Buttigieg said, according to a transcript of the speech published by The South Bend Voice.

“We need to take both those things seriously, for the simple and profound reason that all lives matter,” he added.

I don't believe it was meant as an "intentional, minimalizing rebuttal". It also took place sometime before Sanders got into hot water for using the phrase — which is probably why it wasn't pointed out at the time.

I don't expect that you and I will agree about this. But I think we should agree to move on.
Lash

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 04:20 am
@hightor,
You’re familiar with how dog whistles are situated in answers to smooth concerns of some voters... like, “I’m saying what I have to on the surface, but don’t worry, my heart is with you..”

But, sure. Enough said.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 05:45 am
Ah yes, Lashing out at other Democrats--nasty, gutter politics as we all know and love it. As though that's going to do anyone any good next year.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 05:54 am
By the ruse of moving the superdelegate vote to a second vote, the DNCC seeks to look more Democratic. But they are floating more and more establishment candidates, as though seeking to put a strong one in as many states as possible, to garner as many delegates and superdelegates as possible - A strategy to repeat 2016.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 06:26 am
I let myself get caught up in the creepy Biden argument, in part because I don't like what I see. But that issue has distracted from consideration of issues. He is unacceptable in both categories.
snood

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 08:27 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Someone on my Facebook page also insists that Mayor Pete is like a chocolate Easter bunny. A thin layer of great chocolate and nothing on the inside.

The progressives/far-left are worried about this guy. Makes me like him more and more (it’s just a gut reaction because I find the progressives so offensive in their rhetoric; I don’t know much about Pete yet).

When you say “the progressives so offensive in their rhetoric”, are you thinking of Lash and Edgar?
snood

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 08:34 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

If Bernie wins in 2020 one of my favorite things about his presidency will be watching his most fervent supporters be disappointed repeatedly. It is impossible for him to live up to the expectations his sycophants are placing on him and I’ll enjoy watching them if he wins.

I know that sounds mean, and I’m not proud to think this, but it’s honest.

If for no other reason, this is enough for Bernie to get my vote in 11/2020.

I really do understand the ire that would inspire this. But “progressives” like Edgar and lash have shown no reason to believe that they would have the good sense and clarity of thought that would cause them to be disappointed when Bernie can’t part the seas. They show every indication that they would just continue their myopic, baby-out-with-the-bathwater hero worship.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 10:40 am
Stacey Abrams torn between running for president, Senate.

Published April 5, 2019
Quote:
Stacey Abrams is doing everything a would-be presidential candidate would do: a nationwide book tour, candidate cattle calls and stops on late-night television and morning news shows.

But she's also still actively considering running for Senate in Georgia, and top Democrats continue to court her aggressively for the race. Abrams met with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer Thursday in Washington, at least her third meeting with the Democratic leader this year.

Abrams told POLITICO in an interview Thursday evening that Schumer has been "diligent" and "thoughtful" in wooing her to run for Senate, including enlisting allies to help her understand the contours of the job. Abrams said she spent years preparing to run for governor in 2018, a race she narrowly lost, and wanted to give the same forethought to a Senate bid.

"He has been unequivocal in his desire to have me become a candidate for this office," Abrams said of Schumer's persistence.

In the meanwhile, Abrams continues to tantalize her supporters with the possibility of a presidential campaign. During an appearance on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Thursday, co-host Mika Brezezinski told her, "You should jump in" to the race for the White House. When she appeared at Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network convention in New York on Wednesday, speaking alongside a caravan of presidential candidates, the crowd chanted, "Run, Stacey, run."

The will-she-or-won't-she drama represents one of the last unanswered questions about the 2020 Democratic field, but it could be some time before Abrams makes a final decision. She initially intended to decide on a Senate run by the end of March, but that timeline has slipped as she has toured the country, which has allowed her to develop a national political network. She said she would decide "as soon as possible" — but called it a self-imposed deadline and declined to give a specific date for announcing whether or not she would challenge first-term GOP Sen. David Perdue.

"Our collective responsibility is to make sure that — regardless of who the candidate is — that Democrats take the Senate," said Abrams, who was in Washington for a speech at an annual gala for EMILY's List, the group that promotes pro-abortion-rights Democratic women. "That is my commitment, whether I'm the candidate or not."

If she were to pass on a Senate run, Abrams thinks she can wait longer before deciding whether to run for president. She told POLITICO she thought deciding on a presidential run in the fall was a viable option — even if it meant missing the first two primary debates, scheduled for this summer, and losing out on hiring early staff in the initial primary states.

"There are certainly advantages to running early, but there are also advantages to understanding the lay of the land," Abrams said. "Because of the crowded field, that has actually created a bit of an opportunity to do more investigation.

"My responsibility is to analyze it, decide if that's the job for me and how I can win," she added. "I believe based on my understanding of the contours of how to run a presidential race, September is actually an appropriate date."

Abrams said if she does not run for president, she does not plan to endorse another candidate in the contest. She has already met with the vast majority of top-tier Democratic presidential contenders and would be considered one of the party's top potential running mates. Earlier Thursday, Abrams shot down reports that she has already been considered to be former Vice President Joe Biden's running mate.

Democrats are also preparing for the possibility that Abrams passes on a Senate run. Teresa Tomlinson, the former mayor of Columbus, Georgia, has taken steps toward a campaign should Abrams pass, though she plans to back Abrams if the 2018 gubernatorial nominee does run. Tomlinson was at the headquarters of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee Wednesday, where she met with both Schumer and Nevada Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto, who chairs the campaign arm.

"What we intend to do is to allow Stacey the time that she needs and that she deserves to consider her options," Tomlinson told POLITICO Thursday. "Should she choose something other than U.S. Senate, we have to make sure we have a strong contender for the Democratic nomination here in Georgia — and, of course, my pitch is that I'm ready to go on all that."

Abrams committed to helping Democrats in the Senate race even if she passes on running herself.

"We need a better leader, and we need a better senator — and my mission is to make certain that whether I'm the candidate or not, someone takes on this responsibility and that we beat David Perdue in 2020," Abrams said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/stacey-abrams-torn-between-running-for-president-senate/ar-BBVDsuE?ocid=UE13DHP
Brand X

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:05 am
So Tim Ryan is running.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/4/4/18295333/tim-ryan-2020-nancy-pelosi-gm-ohio
Lash

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:10 pm
@Brand X,
****, for a sec, I thought it was the R... (sigh)
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:14 pm
@Real Music,
I would have to hear more from her on the foreign issues; otherwise, sure I would vote for her for president. It is not that others such as Biden have a record on good foreign issues, it is just he has some ideas on foreign issues and knows what he would be doing in that area and wouldn't do anything stupid with our allies and hobnobbing with dictators and murders. Most of the progressives running don't seem to have a handle on foreign issues much.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:17 pm
Just as a reminder to what is at stake:

70 percent of Wall Street thinks Trump will be reelected in 2020
coldjoint

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:23 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
As though that's going to do anyone any good next year.

It will be good for Trump. I would concentrate on 2024, Trump cannot win that election.
Brand X

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:24 pm
@revelette1,
Wall Street was sure Hillary was going to win too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:35 pm
@snood,
Amen . . . I'm already sick and tired of their clawing at anyone who is not that phony Sanders, and it's not even 2020 yet.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:47 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Try listening to radio most of which has been bought by right wing billionaires.
Yes. Whenever I'm driving in the US, I search out local right wing radio broadcasts to see what they are up to. As you know, there are a lot of local, small time voices trying to get into the big money class that people like Levine, Hannity and Limbaugh etc populate. In one sense, you can't blame them because there's a gold mine waiting if they play the game right. I recently read a statement from a conservative to Tucker Carlson - "You're a multi-millionaire supported by multi-billionaires".
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:56 pm
@hightor,
The piece is well reported, I think, but the titling could sure be more accurate. There's nothing in the story or in Buttigieg's statements which reveal anything negative about the man, just the opposite. One of my great fears going forward is that major media outlets will, in seeking profits, continue to move towards the tabloid model. Not an original idea, of course, but worthy of continuing attention.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 01:02 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Someone very simply asks, “Do black lives matter?”
Yes or no.
The inability to just simply say yes tells me a lot about a person.

And, surprise, Lash goes negative on another fine Dem candidate.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 01:04 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Ah yes, Lashing out at other Democrats--nasty, gutter politics as we all know and love it. As though that's going to do anyone any good next year.
Perhaps Lash has a different "anyone" in mind.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 01:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I let myself get caught up in the creepy Biden argument, in part because I don't like what I see. But that issue has distracted from consideration of issues. He is unacceptable in both categories.
Biden is far from my first choice for a number of reasons. But I have to side with all the women who have had it with certain male behaviors (of which I too have been guilty as a consequence of the culture of male entitlement we've all grown up within).