blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 10:45 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
It's hardly a "subject" : merely the meaning of a word, or more precisely the distinction between the meanings of two words.
You definitely do NOT want to do a google search "books on propaganda" or even "what is propaganda". And definitely not "university courses on propaganda". Please, if you respond, assure me you've done no such simple check. At this point, it would be some bit of work to change my opinion of how you go about the whole learning/thinking thing.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 10:52 am
@blatham,
Quote:
You definitely do NOT want to do a google search "books on propaganda" or even "what is propaganda". And definitely not "university courses on propaganda". Please, if you respond, assure me you've done no such simple check. At this point, it would be some bit of work to change my opinion of how you go about the whole learning/thinking thing.

Laughing Laughing Laughing What a bunch of crap.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:03 am
@neptuneblue,
'neptuneblue

It's a complicated issue, one Ms. Harris took head on.

What do you do when a child misses 20, 40, 80 days of school?

This story was meant to be damaging. It's still a work in progress.'

It's a report meant to scrutinize Kamala and her record, nothing wrong with that, too many people turned their heads and didn't scrutinize which is how we got Trump. Every candidate should be X-rayed. If posting such articles here, especially from HuffPost, who I doubt is trying to do Trump's opposition harm, is an attack on a candidate... then some other things need to be examined. If it's damaging to Kamala then her record is damaging.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:21 am
If you've been following, there's a concerted campaign from Republicans (including Trump) to attack Schiff and forward the idea he should resign his chairmanship of the House Intelligence Committee. Today, during a committee hearing, the Rs were crusading on this new propaganda adventure.

Here's Schiff's reply in committee following the attacks
Quote:
“My colleagues might think it’s OK that the Russians offered dirt on the Democratic candidate for president as part of what’s described as the Russian government’s effort to help the Trump campaign. You might think that’s OK.

“My colleagues might think it’s OK that when that was offered to the son of the president, who had a pivotal role in the campaign, that the president’s son did not call the FBI; he did not adamantly refuse that foreign help – no, instead that son said that he would ‘love’ the help with the Russians.

“You might think it’s OK that he took that meeting. You might think it’s OK that Paul Manafort, the campaign chair, someone with great experience running campaigns, also took that meeting. You might think it’s OK that the president’s son-in-law also took that meeting. You might think it’s OK that they concealed it from the public. You might think it’s OK that their only disappointment after that meeting was that the dirt they received on Hillary Clinton wasn’t better. You might think that’s OK.

“You might think it’s OK that when it was discovered, a year later, that they then lied about that meeting and said that it was about adoptions. You might think that it’s OK that it was reported that the president helped dictate that lie. You might think that’s OK. I don’t.

“You might think it’s OK that the campaign chairman of a presidential campaign would offer information about that campaign to a Russian oligarch in exchange for money or debt forgiveness. You might think that’s OK, I don’t.

“You might think it’s OK that that campaign chairman offered polling data to someone linked to Russian intelligence. I don’t think that’s OK.

“You might think it’s OK that the president himself called on Russia to hack his opponent’s emails, if they were listening. You might think it’s OK that later that day, in fact, the Russians attempted to hack a server affiliated with that campaign. I don’t think that’s OK.

“You might think it’s OK that the president’s son-in-law sought to establish a secret back channel of communication with the Russians through a Russian diplomatic facility. I don’t think that’s OK.

“You might think it’s OK that an associate of the president made direct contact with the GRU through Guccifer 2.0 and WikiLeaks, that is considered a hostile intelligence agency. You might think it’s OK that a senior campaign official was instructed to reach that associate and find out what that hostile intelligence agency had to say in terms of dirt on his opponent.

“You might think it’s OK that the national security adviser designate secretly conferred with the Russian ambassador about undermining U.S. sanctions, and you might think it’s OK that he lied about it to the FBI.

“You might say that’s all OK, that’s just what you need to do to win. But I don’t think it’s OK. I don’t think it’s OK. I think it’s immoral, I think it’s unethical, I think it’s unpatriotic and, yes, I think it’s corrupt – and evidence of collusion.”

“Now I have always said that the question of whether this amounts to proof of conspiracy was another matter. Whether the special counsel could prove beyond a reasonable doubt the proof of that crime would be up to the special counsel, and I would accept his decision, and I do. He’s a good and honorable man, and he is a good prosecutor.

“But I do not think that conduct, criminal or not, is OK. And the day we do think that’s OK is the day we will look back and say that is the day that America lost its way.”

“And I will tell you one more thing that is apropos of the hearing today: I don’t think it’s OK that during a presidential campaign Mr. Trump sought the Kremlin’s help to consummate a real estate deal in Moscow that would make him a fortune – according to the special counsel, hundreds of millions of dollars. I don’t think it’s OK to conceal it from the public. I don’t think it’s OK that he advocated a new and more favorable policy towards the Russians even as he was seeking the Russians’ help, the Kremlin’s help to make money. I don’t think it’s OK that his attorney lied to our committee. There is a different word for that than collusion, and it’s called ‘compromise.’

As Greg adds
Quote:
Each of the factual points the chairman raised are supported by evidence, and as best as I can tell, none of the factual assertions have been contested by Trump, any of his allies, or the contents of Attorney General Bill Barr’s memo.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:24 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Here's Schiff's reply in committee following the attacks

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:30 am
@blatham,
Schiff is not going anywhere.

It's just payback for what they perceived people doing to Nunes (though, not comparable in my opinion).
blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:32 am
@maporsche,
Yes. And as always, it is a strategy to fill up the media space with a desired narrative and to get the base angrier and stupider.
maporsche

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:35 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Yes. And as always, it is a strategy to fill up the media space with a desired narrative and to get the base angrier and stupider.

They gotta do something to combat the uncanny ability of Trump to take a good week and make it horrible by announcing something like repealing Obamacare again.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:37 am
@blatham,
Quote:
and stupider.

Lying for three years is intelligence?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:45 am
It just dawned on me that there's another reason why the right is so frightened of AOC. I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of this earlier. Eric Levitz has a helpful piece up on the age of Trump's base...
Quote:
In 2016, Donald Trump commanded the support of only 28 percent of voters under 30, according to Pew Research. His disapproval rating among Americans under 35 currently hovers around 70 percent. And millennials’ antipathy for our Republican president isn’t personal; the Fox News grandpa-in-chief might be especially unappealing to the rising generation, but the kids don’t have much use for the GOP’s kinder, gentler reactionaries, either. Less than 30 percent of millennials wanted Republicans to retain control of Congress last year. And in broader measures of generational opinion, both millennials and Gen-Zers evince higher levels of support for liberal ideological premises and policy proposals than any older cohorts.
NYMag

A significant part of the GOP electoral strategy will continue to be the suppression of younger voters however they can manage that where they hold power at the state level. And they will do what they can to discourage younger people from voting through whatever media means they can muster.

Someone like AOC - young, bright, unflappable and charismatic - is precisely the sort of individual who can inspire Americans in their 20s, 30s and 40s to get politically active or at least enthusiastic enough to vote. And as people tend to continue whatever political allegiance they formed when young, this has serious future ramifications as well.

coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:48 am
@blatham,
Quote:
is precisely the sort of individual who can inspire Americans

Anyone inspired by her is not an American and knows 0 about how this country should run or the Constitution. Next.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:52 am
@maporsche,
Yes. One way in which Trump operates very much in the traditions of Mafia bosses or bullies or other such authoritarian/dictatorial figures is the deep commitment to vengeance. If one were to do a survey of, for example, his twitter posts I'd be confident with a wager that 75% or more of them would show this urge to vengeance as the key element.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 11:53 am
Quote:
JUST IN: The Supreme Court has officially denied an appeal from gun makers seeking to stop a Trump administration ban on bump stocks.

That means the ban now officially goes into effect.

Gun makers had filed separate appeals to Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Sonia Sotomayor. Roberts denied one appeal earlier this week; Sotomayor referred hers to the full court, and the full court denied it, allowing the ban to go into effect.
—@NPRpolitics

It's not much but it's something.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 12:34 pm
Krugman has a twitter thread up. I'll just post the first tweet. If you are on twitter, you can get the rest (and you should)
Quote:
Paul Krugman
‏Verified account
@paulkrugman
Elizabeth Warren has a housing plan -- and like every one of her policy proposals, it looks really good! 1/

Aside from electability concerns, folks ought to keep in mind that whoever might become the Dem candidate and if that candidate wins the election, that individuals like Warren (if the nomination isn't hers) will be needed to populate an effective, hard working and unflappable team.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 12:38 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Krugman

Is a hack. He has been wrong too many times to have a credible argument for anything.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 01:58 pm
@coldjoint,
When wwas tje last time you won a Nobel in economics, speaking of cedibility?
coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 01:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
When wwas tje last time you won a Nobel in economics, speaking of cedibility?

The Nobel prize is a joke, and has been since they gave one to Obama.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 02:23 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
The Nobel prize is a joke, and has been since they gave one to Obama.
Don't you think that there's a difference between the The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel and the Nobel Peace Prize by the Norwegian Nobel Committee?
Or did Obama get the Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 02:46 pm
I am predicting that in the next few days Trump will order Barr to release the full Mueller report because it will show he has nothing to hide, as he says. It will be a great boon to him electorally and it will provide strong evidence that the deep state is out to get him and it will really give the finger to mainstream media. It's all pretty simple.
revelette1

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 02:52 pm
@maporsche,
Well, I hope Schiff gets the support of democrats. We (as in democrats) have a nasty habit of going after our own rather than standing up for our fellow democrats when they need it.