blatham

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 06:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
No chance.

I can't quite figure out what you're afraid of here, george. But it is something. And that's a pity because it is a very interesting subject and certainly deserving of study.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 07:21 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I can't quite figure

I can, he is saying you are shill constantly repeating patterns of disingenuous and dishonest one sided propaganda.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 07:41 pm
Quote:
Next week the House will vote on our resolution to end US support for the Yemen war. I urge my House colleagues to reject any effort to undermine the resolution with a motion to recommit. It’s time to pass this resolution and send it to the president.

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1110969837881163777

Yes
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 12:43 am
@snood,
I've never said otherwise. Of course the repuke was trying to offend. But just because some cretin wants to offend you, doesn't mean you should necessarily be offended... at least not by a prayer. But as someone (hightor?) mentioned already, the "prayer" was laced with references to Trump and Israel, which was the real offense.

Quote:
That wasn’t a prayer,” Johnson-Harrell said Wednesday. She initially wasn’t fazed. She said she was raised to bow her head, show respect, and stand, noting that her mother exposed her to different religions.

But when Borowicz began referencing Trump and Israel, something changed, she said. [...]

Borowicz’s primary offense was “not so much” mentioning Jesus repeatedly, said Zain Abdullah, an associate professor of religion at Temple University. It was the state representative’s use of the Christian savior to politicize religion and promote an agenda that was offensive, Abdullah said.

“Jesus Christ is revered by Muslims,” Abdullah said. He is mentioned more than 30 times in the Quran. “You can’t be a Muslim and not believe in Jesus.”

https://www.philly.com/news/pa-house-lawmaker-prays-jesus-before-muslim-rep-sworn-in-stephanie-borowicz-movita-johnson-harrell-20190327.html
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 12:49 am
@maporsche,
You so much holier than I am, obviously...

For the record, since people here love to misunderstand a littlr too much, i am not presuring anyone. How could I, possibly? By her own account, Johnson-Harrell was not offended by the name of Jesus being said 13 times, but by lacing a prayer with inuendoes and political statements.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 03:41 am
Quotes from a Sociopath: vol 211, p 762
Quote:
“You look at all of the different things, Russia would’ve much rather had Hillary than Donald Trump. I can tell you that right now,” Trump told Hannity.
Politico

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:16 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
This political historian has New Zealand figured out
Quote:
NRATV's Grant Stinchfield: New Zealand is "the equivalent of a dictatorship" and "what tyranny looks like" after proposed assault weapons ban

The correct term for "people who lack freedom" is: serf.

blatham wrote:
You gun nuts are ******* evil.

No one hates quite like a Freedom Hater hates.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:44 am
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c995789e4b0f7bfa1b57d2e

This will pop up about Kamala. Very damning story. My students would categorize this as totilatarianish. So would others.
Brand X

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:49 am
Wayne Messam just entered the 2020 Dem race.

https://www.miramarfl.gov/293/Mayor-Wayne-M-Messam
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 04:51 am
@Lash,
Attacking Dem candidates again. Such a surprise. You're just the best darned progressive ever. It's why everyone trusts you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 05:02 am
Here's three exciting ideas from the wonderful people at Fox
Quote:
Tucker Carlson says climate change may make natural disasters less catastrophic

Quote:
Laura Ingraham guest claims trans people are trying to "create a new species"

Quote:
Fox's Newt Gingrich calls on conservatives to "harass the news media and treat them with the contempt they've earned"
MM
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 05:38 am
Donald Trump speaks:
Quote:
“The Republican Party will soon be known as the party of health care.”

Who could possibly doubt the honesty of this? Republicans have always been the party pushing for healthcare in America. The reason Trump and team are now moving to kill Obamacare is because they really want a healthcare program in America.
neptuneblue

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 05:46 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Very damning story. My students would categorize this as totilatarianish. So would others.

It's a complicated issue, one Ms. Harris took head on.

What do you do when a child misses 20, 40, 80 days of school?

This story was meant to be damaging. It's still a work in progress.
blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 05:48 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Jonathan Cohn had a good piece outlining the true dimensions of this deception campaign. It wasn’t just that many of those Republicans had already voted to roll back those very protections as part of the Obamacare repeal effort. It’s also that even before voting that way, many Republicans had also vowed to keep those protections — before reneging on that promise. Small wonder that voters didn’t believe them the second time — and voted in a Democratic House.

So this lie failed for Republicans. And so, when McCarthy rips into Trump for embracing this lawsuit as a proven loser for them, what he really means is that being too closely associated with actual repeal is a loser. Republicans would like to keep saying they support repeal while also claiming to want to protect people with preexisting conditions. Tying Republicans too closely to a lawsuit that would wipe all of it away inconveniently puts pressure on them to say how they would do that.
Greg Sargent

Greg has this exactly right.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 06:23 am
If you take anything to heart today, make it this
Quote:
Matthew Yglesias
‏Verified account
@mattyglesias
It’s mind-blowing to look at the wreckage of UK politics, realize that it’s basically all Rupert Murdoch’s fault, and then look back to the US and realize that’s *also* all Rupert Murdoch’s fault.
9:22 AM - 27 Mar 2019

And then there's Australia. If "evil" has any use, it would be in describing this guy.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 07:38 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
No chance.

I can't quite figure out what you're afraid of here, george. But it is something. And that's a pity because it is a very interesting subject and certainly deserving of study.

It's hardly a "subject" : merely the meaning of a word, or more precisely the distinction between the meanings of two words. Hardly worth more than a few sentences ( which I have already provided). You are trying very hard here. What are you trying to prove? Perhaps that you are not a propagandist merely repeating the biased words of others. Too late: you have already provided (and continue to provide) ample evidence of that.

I'm not afraid of anything here: only unwilling to play your game.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 09:43 am
@Olivier5,
That poll question could also work fine:

"Would you support medicare for all if it meant that an alien race from outer space would take over the earth and eat human brains for breakfast?"
coldjoint

Reply Thu 28 Mar, 2019 10:02 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
eat human brains for breakfast?"

Those aliens will not be dining in France. They would die of starvation.
NSFW (view)
NSFW (view)