revelette1

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:50 pm
@Olivier5,
It means the anointed one; both Messiah and Son of God.

http://www.dragonfly75.com/book/SonOfGod.html
Brand X

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:55 pm
@politico

'Kirsten Gillibrand released her 2018 tax returns on Wednesday, becoming the first presidential candidate to do so.'
revelette1

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 12:57 pm
@Brand X,
I like her, but, I still think we need a heavyweight (not sure what political leanings you have) but I mean leftist/democrats front runner with Abrams as a running mate and Biden would fit that bill despite his 40 year record with some not so good things in it.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 01:13 pm
@revelette1,
Messiah indeed means literally ‘annointed’, like ‘Christ’ does, but among Jews and Muslims it also takes on an eschatologic meaning: God’s envoy to usher in the end of times. As for ‘son of God’, the meaning is disputed but i agree with you (and Muslims) that it should be taken as figurative, not literally as many Christians mistakenly have it.
revelette1

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 01:51 pm
@Olivier5,
Well, not sure I quite agree with the last sentence, it is complicated and I don't have it straight in my own mind. However, I agree that both the word Messiah and Son of God both meaning the Anointed One.

To get any further into it, the discussion should be moved into the religious category. However, it is slow there and I have no patience for it.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 01:55 pm
@Brand X,
Quote:
becoming the first presidential candidate to do so.'

She will also be one of the first to drop out. She does not have a chance.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:10 pm
@revelette1,
Yes, this is a tangent. My original point was: you can’t humiliate a Muslim by praising Jesus... it just won’t work. The guy is praised 190 times in the Quran.
maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:11 pm
@Olivier5,
The Muslim woman who was being sworn in took it as insulting from what I’ve read.

You’re telling me that her feelings are unjustified on this manner?
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:33 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Yes, this is a tangent. My original point was: you can’t humiliate a Muslim by praising Jesus... it just won’t work. The guy is praised 190 times in the Quran.

You are lying, Jesus is not praised, he is viewed as a failure in the Koran. You are listening to and spreading lies.
Quote:
Jesus In The Quran: 39 Quran Verses About Jesus

That is from an Islamic source.
https://katietokhadijah.com/jesus-in-the-quran/
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 02:51 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
My original point was: you can’t humiliate a Muslim by praising Jesus... it just won’t work.

I think the problem arose because it her statement didn't even attempt to look ecumenical.
State Rep. Stephanie Borowicz wrote:
I claim all these things in the powerful, mighty name of Jesus, the one who, at the name of Jesus, every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess, Jesus, that you are Lord, in Jesus’ name.

Then she praised Trump for supporting Israel. There are ways to make these sentiments known without force-feeding them to unbelievers.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:08 pm
@maporsche,
If that’s indeed the case, i would guess she hasn’t studied the Quran. Not only Jesus but also Mary is seen as a big deal in there. Mary was the most pure and holy woman, hence Allah sent her his spirit so she would conceive without knowing a man.

It is written that when she was a child, all the scholars fought among themselves for the right to be her teacher.

Jesus is most often called ‘son of Mary’ (ibn Myriam) in the Quran, to my knowledge the only person named in reference to his mother in this book.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/Virgin_Mary_and_Jesus_%28old_Persian_miniature%29.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
If that’s indeed the case, i would guess she hasn’t studied the Quran

You have not either. You just lied about it, but you can produce those 190 examples of praise for Jesus to prove it.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:33 pm
@Olivier5,
You can’t be so naive as to not think that some of that woman’s intent by her long soliloquy was to offend the Muslims in the room.
I mean you can, but I’d sure hope you’re not.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:47 pm
@snood,
That's exactly what she was doing. She was playing my God is better than your God.
blatham

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:48 pm
@snood,
Quote:
to not think that some of that woman’s intent by her long soliloquy was to offend the Muslims in the room.

That would be a foolish presumption. We don't see any record of her doing this before so it's not much of a reach to conclude she intended to offend. At the very least, she didn't care if she did. And, of course, what she said in the way she said it is just an echo of the Islamophobia that is near ubiquitous across the world of right wing christianity presently.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:49 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
She was playing my God is better than your God.

Right on, madam. I really, really, really despise these people.

Edit: neither these guys nor the radical Islamists are able to comprehend that they are close to mirror images of each other.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 03:58 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
neither these guys nor the radical Islamists are able to comprehend that they are close to mirror images of each other.

Among your long list of unsavory accusations and lies you are also an apologist.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:44 pm
@blatham,
I agree.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 04:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I made very clear distinctions between advocacy and propaganda and you have simply ignored them.
Where? Are you referring to the single sentence statement you made a week ago? If that's it (and it's all I've seen) you gained a response from me that laid out precisely why your definition fails. You never responded to my points. Or perhaps I missed something you wrote elsewhere.

How about this, george. How about if I start a thread dedicated to such a careful discussion between you and I on this subject. Others will probably make arguments as well but we can deal with that. We'll do it right with citations and references.

How about it?

No chance. I provided a clear, unambiguous statement of the difference between the two. Your "refutation was without meaning and was no refutation at all. The subject isn't that complex - a sentence or two will do, and I'm not interested in a thread of sophistries and rules made by Blatham. You will just have to deal with that.

Your advocacy is one sided; acknowledges no reasonable or arguable alternatives; and is based on the unwarranted assumption that you (alone) know the inner motivations, morality and worth ( or lack of them) of those you oppose. Moreover the opinion pieces you paste here in such abundance are all one-sided and often presented with the tacit implication that they constitute valid, unquestionable authority on the matter. I short your advocacy (and much of theirs) is mere propaganda. 'nuff said.
maporsche

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2019 05:10 pm
@Olivier5,
I’m not going to presume to tell a Muslim woman and her 32 Muslim guests how they *should* be feeling about that “prayer.”

But that’s just me.