hightor

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 12:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
- The Republican party is a good deal less authoritarian, both in the organization of its national committee and in the observable behavior of its presidents and Congressional delegations. The contrast in the last Presidential Primaries and election was stark and clear. Hillary Clinton directly controlled the DNC and its finances right from the start of the primaries. In contrast the Republican primaries were hard fought and contentious.

Apples and oranges, george. Clinton, who first ran in '08, was the '16 front runner as soon as Obama declared victory in '12. 2016 was a special case — a former First Lady who believed (as was encouraged by party toadies) that it was actually her "turn". It had nothing to do with any alleged "authoritarianism".
blatham

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 01:58 pm
Steven Dennis
‏Verified account
@StevenTDennis
Quote:
Sasse says because he is "a constitutional conservative" he wants to limit the ability of presidents to declare emergencies without Congress, but voted to affirm Trump's emergency declaration because Pelosi is "politically motivated."

Huh.
12:15 PM - 14 Mar 2019

And I expect most Republicans hearing that will say, "Now there is a principled man!"
Sturgis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 02:04 pm
@blatham,
Well clearly Sasse isn't in any way politically motivated Rolling Eyes

...then again, I haven't read his plans for 2024 and beyond so maybe he is.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 02:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Well clearly Sasse isn't in any way politically motivated

What it amounts to is playing games with national security in an age of terror. And gang violence is terror. Among other things.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 02:25 pm
@coldjoint,
So, it's your contention Sasse is playing games?
coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 02:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
So, it's your contention Sasse is playing games?

No, he is playing in the game. He can be the wheelbarrow.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 02:28 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Apples and oranges, george. Clinton, who first ran in '08, was the '16 front runner as soon as Obama declared victory in '12. 2016 was a special case — a former First Lady who believed (as was encouraged by party toadies) that it was actually her "turn". It had nothing to do with any alleged "authoritarianism".

Then how is it she was calling all the shots for the DNC, including the use of their campaign budget, right from the start of the Primary? She and the inner circle of superdelegates controlled the whole process. The very idea that "it was her turn" speaks to the authority of the party inner circle.
livinglava

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 02:49 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
The very idea that "it was her turn" speaks to the authority of the party inner circle.

That is the union mentality, which they don't consider 'authoritarian,' because as far as they are concerned the only authoritarianism is that which they are fighting to get what they consider rightfully theirs, i.e. the power to structure society and guarantee that people who follow rules and wait their turn get to occupy the designated positions they are entitled to.

Of course that's authoritarian structuralism, but to them it's just reality and they ignore the notion that there is something called liberty where people structure their own lives instead of submitting to authoritarian structure.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 03:11 pm
@georgeob1,
I said it was a "special case", didn't I? It had nothing to do with institutional "authoritarianism". She had years to build up a loyal following within the DNC and was thought to be the strongest candidate. It was unprecedented — and unrepresentative of previous behavior by the party, where candidates' campaigns were more similar to those in years past. If we see the DNC act the same way in the '20 contest your contention may assume more validity.
revelette1

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 04:22 pm
@hightor,
Personally considering the alternatives in the field so far, I wish she would run again. I would vote for her in a heartbeat.

I didn't either bother looking past your post at the bottom, I assume ya'll are talking about Hillary? Hillary/Elizabeth would make a tremendous team.

I used to be for Biden but I have been reading about some of his stances in the past. Mostly concerning segregation which kind of turned me on him.
blatham

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 04:52 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Re: blatham (Post 6808619)
Well clearly Sasse isn't in any way politically motivated Rolling Eyes

...then again, I haven't read his plans for 2024 and beyond so maybe he is.

He's looking way up the road. Statues. Statues everywhere. And broads. Like Trump.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 04:52 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Personally considering the alternatives in the field so far, I wish she would run again. I would vote for her in a heartbeat.

That makes two of you.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 04:53 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
And broads. Like Trump.

Anything to back that slur up? I got time.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 05:05 pm
@Olivier5,
I’ve been looking at the big picture for a bit more than four years. Trump just bumbled on to the scene with great thanks to the Clinton machine, a member of the systemic corruption you mention. You must have forgotten the many conversations we had about it during the 2016 presidential race.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 09:56 pm
This will make some people think, I hope.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2019 10:51 pm
@coldjoint,
The far left has many traits, the last I heard though, cannibalism of self was not on their list of requirements.
(and consumption of republicans would make them far too ill to get out and vote, so they're off the menu too)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 06:16 am
Op ed from Robert Kagan. In my view, Kagan represents the best of the neoconservative crowd.

Quote:
Today, authoritarianism has emerged as the greatest challenge facing the liberal democratic world — a profound ideological, as well as strategic, challenge. Or, more accurately, it has reemerged, for authoritarianism has always posed the most potent and enduring challenge to liberalism, since the birth of the liberal idea itself. Authoritarianism has now returned as a geopolitical force, with strong nations such as China and Russia championing anti-liberalism as an alternative to a teetering liberal hegemony. It has returned as an ideological force, offering the age-old critique of liberalism, and just at the moment when the liberal world is suffering its greatest crisis of confidence since the 1930s. It has returned armed with new and hitherto unimaginable tools of social control and disruption that are shoring up authoritarian rule at home, spreading it abroad and reaching into the very heart of liberal societies to undermine them from within.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 07:51 am
We have an opportunity right now to watch a propaganda initiative ramp up in real time.

Prior to less than a week ago, you will not have seen the term "Jexodus". Suddenly, it is a burning subject on Fox, in Trump's tweets and in other right wing outlets. There is already one thread here pushing the story.

It claims to be a "movement" of Jews leaving the Dem party because Dems are anti-Jew. It is a campaign which has been developed to take advantage (it is hoped) of a Dem freshman congressperson's statement re AIPAC's influence.
Quote:
On Tuesday morning, “Fox & Friends” did a segment on this newest faux-movement, which in turn led the President of the United States, a huge fan of that TV show’s chipper racism, to tweet about it at length. Jexodus was embodied by the doe-eyed Elizabeth Pipko, a 23-year-old former Trump campaign staffer, Jexodus’s “national spokesperson.” She has excellent eyebrows and two self-published books of poetry (“Just the thought of failure brings me to tears/And the thought of someone witnessing it, brings out my biggest fears,” reads one poem from her first collection, “Sweet Sixteen”).

...Per conservative news site the Daily Wire, Jexodus is the brainchild of 56-year-old Republican strategist Jeff Ballabon, a longtime operative who, among other dubious achievements, lobbied the RNC to include language in its 2016 platform that dropped support for a two-state solution and rejected “the false notion that Israel is an occupier.” (On the website for his firm, B2 Strategic, Ballabon quotes none other than Watergate-burglary mastermind G. Gordon Liddy to cast himself as a samurai for Israel: “If Akira Kurosawa did a movie about Israel, Jeff would play one of the leading roles.”)
https://www.gq.com/story/gop-jexodus

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 08:00 am
@blatham,
Washington Post: Trump plugs pro-GOP Jewish group shortly after condemning New Zealand mosque attacks
Quote:
[...]
“Trump is now stoking religious division immediately after tweeting out a post-#ChristchurchMosqueAttack condolence message. Add it to the pile,” wrote Kevin Baron, executive editor of Defense One, a publication devoted to national security.

In a similar vein, Yashar Ali of New York magazine declared on Twitter that it was “not the morning for this.”

Polling data and experts interviewed by The Washington Post do not show a Jewish exodus from the Democratic Party in the Trump years.

Instead, they show a demographic group that continues to vote at exceedingly high rates for Democrats — as it has for decades. That number actually ticked up when Trump was elected, with 71 percent voting for Hillary Clinton and only 24 percent voting for him in 2016.
... ... ...

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Mar, 2019 08:01 am
@blatham,
More on Jeff Ballabon from wikipedia
Quote:
Jeff (Jeffrey) Ballabon is an American media executive, lobbyist for Israel, political advisor, and consultant.

...During law school, he interned at the State of Israel's Ministry of Justice,

...Ballabon was heavily involved with the election campaigns of George W. Bush and with the Bush administration. He has been involved as well in a number of House and Senate election campaigns, including John Ashcroft, Sam Brownback, Rick Santorum, and Bob Turner, and was a surrogate for the Mitt Romney campaign. As a fund-raiser for the 2004 Bush campaign, he co-chaired a dinner that reportedly "raked in $4 million".

Ballabon was a prominent supporter of Donald Trump's candidacy.[5][6] He led the 2016 initiative to change the Republican Party's platform language on Israel[7][8][9] and worked closely with the Trump campaign on its Israel policy.[10] Since the election, Ballabon has been an advisor to Donald J Trump for President and appears on media as a Trump surrogate.[11]
More at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Ballabon

He has also worked to discredit Walt and Mearsheimer's research on AIPAC and to discredit J Street (he of course notes it has funding from Soros).

0 Replies