oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:21 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Trump's super power is his ability to shamelessly mock others with schoolboy taunts.

In other words, Mr. Trump is beating you at your own game.

glitterbag wrote:
Sadly, we are watching every shred of decency and honor dumped in an ash can because Republicans fear nicknames more than losing democracy.

Our democracy is doing just fine.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:22 am
@blatham,
Quote:
One of the most notable symptoms of ASPD is a lack of empathy. In response to another person's feelings, they may come across as:
cold
unfeeling
callous
overly critical
harsh
People with ASPD don't always realize how harmful their actions are. In other cases, they may simply not care that their actions hurt someone.
People with ASPD are often psychically or verbally abusive. They may physically harm people without any consideration of the resulting injuries to the other person.
Verbal abuse might include:
insults
deprecation
negative statements
public or private humiliation

Gosh! So leftists are sociopaths? Who would have thought it?
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
As a justice issue alone, I think this is wrong.

We can worry about Republican wrongdoing if someone ever produces any evidence that it has occurred. Right now there is no reason to think that Mr. Trump has done anything wrong.

But if the left wanted people to care about Republican wrongdoing (if there actually were any) then the left should not have let Bill Clinton off the hook for his own crime spree. It's a little late for leftists to start whining about wrongdoing at this point.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:25 am
@blatham,
It's also that Pence is worse...
Olivier5

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:27 am
@Lash,
Your hated democratic majority leader doesn't want to impeach your beloved president, and yet you can still find a reason to bitch about it?
oralloy

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:28 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I just hope Mueller and the others sifting through the dirty man’s finances find a way to get him.

I hope Mr. Trump loses his patience and starts siccing the FBI and IRS on prominent leftists. We should really get as many leftists sent to prison as we can.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 08:58 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
It's also that Pence is worse...
That's always been my opinion too but I'm rethinking it. I've got a headache presently so I'll leave it there.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 09:55 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Have you considered AOC, Omar, Spartacus and Pocahontas or Bernie Sanders for membership in this elite group?
Sorry, your question is unclear to me? And who the **** is Spartacus?

Spartacus refers to Sen Booker.

My question was indeed a bit unclear. I was referring to membership in the group of folks, to which your referred, who don't know the limits of their own knowledge. The esteemed Bernie Sanders is a good example. There's no evidence that he ever had regular employment before he first ran for Mayor on Burlington VT at age 40, and finally winning the post a few years later. He has been involved in elective office ever since. In his many years in the Congress he introduced only a few pieces of legislation that were passed and a large fraction of them involved the naming of local Post Offices in VT. Somehow he has claimed to learn how to organize the lives of all his countrymen. However, to his credit, he has been silent about the details concerning the actual implementation and funding for his many proposals, merely waving them away with illusory claims that it will be easy.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:07 am
@georgeob1,
Is Spartacus a nick name cooked up by our urban, sofisticated, man of the world Trump?
revelette1

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:16 am
@Olivier5,
He is one of those "religious" conservatives, so I imagine he would push all the typical "religious" agendas. Somewhat hypercritical he would support Trump. After all sin is sin whether it is adultery and lying or (in some minds) homosexuality and abortion.

Just for the record, I happen be a fundamental (flawed)Christian but I strongly believe in separation of church and state even if it goes against my own particular religious views. Just putting that out there.

However, getting back to Pence, at least he wouldn't make decisions on his own (I don't think, though he supports everything Trump does.) which has such negative impact here at home and abroad. (Trade deals, declaring National Emergencies for no emergencies cozying up to autocratic murderous dictators and trying to get out of NATO...) Also doubt he was in any way involved in Trump campaign ties to Russia.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:23 am
@blatham,
Quote:
You have to be philosophically bankrupt to nominate a Catholic?

No, but if you want a justice who can analyze complicated legal problems systematically and write summations clearly (even if they're wrong) you're more likely to find that in a candidate who graduated from Georgetown than you are in a graduate of Falwell's Liberty University.
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:43 am
@revelette1,
Pence lacks the (to me, incomprehensible) populist appeal of Trump. I don't imagine him being as successful a demagogue.
revelette1

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 10:52 am
@hightor,
No, his appeal would be to those who are really turned off by Trump but have settled for him because he won (except for a few like Krystal) and also appeal to Evangelical conservative republicans. In other words, "establishment" republicans.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 12:41 pm
https://lidblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/quote-how-do-you-tell-a-communist-well-it-s-someone-who-reads-marx-and-lenin-and-how-do-you-ronald-reagan-24-12-13-768x361.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:06 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I was referring to membership in the group of folks, to which your referred, who don't know the limits of their own knowledge.

Do you imagine this wouldn't also be the case if you did a random sample of freshman Dems or Republicans from any point in time (eg Tea Party types)?

Quote:
The esteemed Bernie Sanders is a good example. There's no evidence that he ever had regular employment before he first ran for Mayor on Burlington VT at age 40, and finally winning the post a few years later.
Quote:

Per wikipedia
After graduating from college, Sanders returned to New York City, where he initially worked at a variety of jobs, including Head Start teacher, psychiatric aide, and carpenter.[31] In 1968, Sanders moved to Vermont because he had been "captivated by rural life." After his arrival there he worked as a carpenter,[33] filmmaker, and writer[48] who created and sold "radical film strips" and other educational materials to schools.[49] He also wrote several articles for the alternative publication The Vermont Freeman.[50]
And, of course, he was engaged as an activist in political issues throughout this period.
We could compare this history to that of Paul Ryan - wikipedia. He worked at MacDonald's in high school and then while in college he was a salesman for Oscar Meyer wieners and then immediately moved into his political life.

So I'm not sure how helps you make a case for anything, really.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Is Spartacus a nick name cooked up by our urban, sofisticated, man of the world Trump?
I had to look this up. It's a reference to something Booker said in questioning of the latest SC nominee. Some mention of it in mainstream media but it didn't carry the weight of a relevant story so you and I never bumped into it. Not so in the right wing media universe, of course. I'm going out on a limb here in thinking that might be where george got it. http://bit.ly/2u0vKdO
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:15 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I happen be a fundamental(flawed)Christian

I'm a flawed atheist.

Probably this is why we get on so well.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:22 pm
@oralloy,
Look to POTUS for a textbook case not libs..
blatham

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:28 pm
@hightor,
Absolutely. Admittedly from a distance, I have always admired the rigor of Jesuit educators.

There was only one American protestant philosopher whose work I came across who I thought was worth anyone's time, Alvin Plantinga.

Edit: I ought to add the point here that Jesuit education is as it is because of the rich philosphical traditions of Catholicism. Likewise, Falwell's standards are poor as they are because there are no such traditions in the history of his faith community.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2019 01:41 pm
Quote:
President Trump is making a play for the Jews. And like many Republicans before him, he seems to think that this time, American Jews will finally abandon their loyalty to the Democratic Party and join the GOP. It’s an old prediction, and it always turns out to be wrong.

But, this time, it’s more wrong than ever. If Trump wants to know why Jews won’t become Republicans, he should look in a mirror.

He’s giving it a shot, however. First, he said in response to the controversy over Rep. Ilhan Omar’s (D-Minn.) tweets about the making of U.S. policy toward Israel that Democrats “have become an anti-Jewish party.” He then told a group of Republican donors, “The Democrats hate Jewish people.”

And on Tuesday morning, Trump tweeted this:

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
“Jewish people are leaving the Democratic Party. We saw a lot of anti Israel policies start under the Obama Administration, and it got worsts & worse. There is anti-Semitism in the Democratic Party. They don’t care about Israel or the Jewish people.” Elizabeth Pipko, Jexodus.
5:12 AM - Mar 12, 2019

Naturally, Trump got this from a segment on “Fox & Friends.” Elizabeth Pipko, the woman Trump refers to, is, according to her bio page, an “international model, Trump 2016 campaign staffer, poet, patriot, and fiercely proud millennial Jew.” Pipko is the spokesperson for Jexodus, which you’ll be surprised to learn is actually not a group of ex-Democrats, but the creation of a Republican political consultant.

On a superficial level, you might not blame Trump for believing this might be a moment he could win some Jewish support. That is, if like Trump, you have zero understanding of exactly why Jews support Democrats in the first place.

And they do. With the exception of black Protestants, Jews are more likely to be Democrats than any other religious group in the United States, and are more likely to self-identify as liberal than any group at all. In 2016, Hillary Clinton won 71 percent of Jewish votes according to exit polls, and in the 2018 midterms, 79 percent of Jews voted for a Democrat for Congress.

Republicans have long thought of this as some kind of delusion for which Jews could be cured — if only they realized how fervently the Republican Party supports Israel, and Benjamin Netanyahu’s government in particular. And now, Trump has added a new twist, one perfectly appropriate for him. He plainly hopes that if Jews are feeling unsettled or afraid by rising anti-Semitism, then they’ll rush to embrace his authoritarian politics, as he poses as their defender and protector.

What he doesn’t seem to grasp is that the opposite is likely to happen. If Jews feel as though anti-Semitism is a greater threat to their well-being in the United States than it used to be, where are they going to find the solution? The same place they always have: By working for a more inclusive, more understanding, more compassionate, more pluralistic society. In short, everything Trump is against.

American Jews aren’t liberals by accident or out of some collective delusion, but because of a set of values that grows from their history and that gets passed from generation to generation. Just an example: When I was young, my mother would talk often about the many Jews who were active in the civil rights movement of the 1960s, sometimes putting themselves at risk to stand with African Americans fighting for their rights. She’d point with pride to Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner, the two young Jewish men killed killed alongside James Chaney in Mississippi in 1964 by members of the Ku Klux Klan, to say that this is the liberal legacy of Judaism, that the experience of oppression and exclusion makes Jews sympathize with the oppressed and the excluded. I’m sure mine was not the only family in which that story was told.

That’s not to say there aren’t Jewish conservatives, because there are. But when a politician like Trump comes along, encouraging people to direct all their resentments and anger at immigrants, Jews know that, at other times and in other places, they were the ones that demagogues like him told people to hate.

Jews know exactly who Trump is. They don’t care that his daughter converted to Judaism when she got married (and, really, if there’s a more goyishe Jew than Ivanka Trump, I can’t think of who it might be). They don’t care how many times he accuses Democrats of being the real anti-Semites, or how many times he says, “I am the least anti-Semitic person that you’ve ever seen in your entire life.”

They know about his history of offensive comments directed toward and about Jews. They know that when he triumphantly tells Christians that now they can say “Merry Christmas” again, he’s telling them that he doesn’t want society to be inclusive and considerate toward religious minorities. They saw how after Trump’s election, white nationalist leader Richard Spencer shouted from a stage, “Hail Trump! Hail our people! Hail victory!” and was met by Nazi salutes. They watched Trump respond to a rally of neo-Confederates and neo-Nazis in Charlottesville, at which one young woman was killed, by saying there were “very fine people on both sides.”

And they saw the dramatic upsurge in anti-Semitic incidents large and small once Trump became president, as though every hateful bigot in the United States looked at his victory and decided they had permission to stop hiding their beliefs. To paraphrase Andrew Gillum, Trump may not be an anti-Semite, but all the anti-Semites think he’s an anti-Semite.

In short, Jews will not be abandoning their longstanding ideological and partisan home in the Democratic Party in order to jump over to a party that opposes everything they believe in, and that has cast its lot with a president who has built his political career on encouraging voters to be as hostile as possible to those they think are not like them. Jews are smart enough to know that Trump is not the solution to their problem. He is the problem.
WP
0 Replies