blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 12:55 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Figuring out a technical way to pay for "Medicare for All" is complex, but not impossible. But accomplishing this politically will require more than putting it in a party platform and managing to win one election. Does anyone really believe that people will elect single-payer supporters in large enough numbers to break filibusters and prevail over the conservative judiciary?

Yes! It's worrisome that many seem to imagine a magical shift in affairs such that what was near to impossible might suddenly becomes a simple matter if Person X is sitting in the White House.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:00 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Also a good example of confirmation bias. If Kim.com says it and I want to believe it, Fox is a perfectly fine source.
Indeed. I am regularly flabbergasted by one of our friends here whom I won't specify but his name rhymes with porridge.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:03 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Yes! It's worrisome that many seem to imagine a magical shift in affairs such that what was near to impossible might suddenly becomes a simple matter if Person X is sitting in the White House.

It becomes relatively simpler if person X was in the WH, plus enough to prevent filibusters in congress and suddenly some these newer younger conservative SC judges get sick or decide to retire who otherwise will be in there for life.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Your rather tortured explanation reveals the truth of your profound hypocrisy.

You a cruel man, Mr G. If I was anywhere near SF, I would hunt you down like a dog, hustle you into to an underground bunker, tie you to a chair or waterpipes or other bunker stuff, sustain you with nothing but thick liquids from my Bosch arugula-press, then I'd do a hit of good SF acid and for days on end sing hootenay songs accompanying myself on a poorly tuned acoustic guitar. Five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles, five hundred miles...
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:20 pm
@revelette1,
Yes. We're talking about a huge shift in power. That's not going to happen with one election.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:22 pm
@blatham,
I'm not cruel at all - instead I'm a warm-hearted, clear thinking, tolerant good guy who says what he thinks. ( You have a few of those q1ualities too - though I'm worried about the clear-thinking and tolerant parts.)

Your description, however, sounds a bit like the traditional UC Berkeley campus reception for conservative speakers.

In this case I would resist - violently if necessary.
revelette1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:35 pm
@blatham,
Very Happy
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:47 pm
@engineer,
When I was 22 I was paid $1.25 per hr. 200 per month. Parlay that to a million bucks using your math. I worked at a steel mill and didn't make 35000 a year until my 42nd year. I was an electrician and well paid at the time. My education consisted of quite a bit of collage but no degrees.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:51 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

And miss my singing?! You are a barbarian.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:54 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
You are a barbarian.

Self defense is not barbaric.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 01:57 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
...sing hootenanny songs...

Oh look, another Glen Yarbrough wannabe.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:00 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

And miss my singing?! You are a barbarian.

We both enjoy the gifts of a sense of irony and humor. ( Though mine are better developed)
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:04 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Oh look, another Glen Yarbrough wannabe.

To quote Paul Manafort in his appeal for clemency...
"I am as guilty as ****"

We had every Lamplighter's album. We used to sing those songs at house party's, parents joining in.

Then I got stoned and listened to Hendrix.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:08 pm
@blatham,
Oh my God Hendrix, how blessed was our generation?
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
We both enjoy the gifts of a sense of irony and humor. ( Though mine are better developed)
No question about it. It's why I'd never even dream of getting in one of those alpha/dominance contests with you.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:14 pm
@blatham,
I believe your behavior here belies your assertion above.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:19 pm
@glitterbag,
We were, though there were some casualties.

I did get to see Jimi live. At one point when the audience was clapping along, he stopped the performance and gave the audience **** for being so poorly off-beat.

A similar thing happened to me down in Texas a couple of years ago where Jane and I were attending a black church service. There was, of course, lots of music and singing and clapping and I found myself beginning to doubt my ability to find and maintain the beat. I had been a percussionist so this was rather confusing. Then the true state of affairs dawned on me - these black folks just didn't have any rhythm.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:21 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I believe your behavior here belies your assertion above.
See! You just want another fight. Notice my eastern-faith style equanimity.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:23 pm
@blatham,
I'm usually asked to leave churches and other musically blessed establishments once I attempt singing. Fortunately, I learned how to lip-synch around age 8.

(attempts at anything involving rhythm usually bring laughter and dismay)
georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:23 pm
@blatham,
Very Happy

Is that Eastern Vancouver?