blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:36 pm
@Sturgis,
I have (or perhaps used to have) an innate talent for drums but I'm a crappy vocalist like yourself. It is a continuing source of profound despair and I do not feel better about it having a niece who has sung opera at Carnegie. My mother was a chubby Mennonite woman who'd grown up on farms and she confided to me near the end of her life that if she'd have had her choice of a life to lead it would have been as a black torch singer. I loved that woman.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:38 pm
@georgeob1,
Yes. Out towards the Surrey/Langley border around the intersection of Shell Casings Road and Blood Spatter Boulevard.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 02:54 pm
@blatham,
Mother was a heavyset, short, Jewish turned Methodist and Rosicrucian (did I mention she was also schizophrenic?), She couldn't sing either. Only my sister can.

Mother got me a drum set when . I was 9 or 10. I didn't know what to do with it. I learned tearing open the skin meant the inside space could be used for storage of various "substances" and cigarettes .

She also got me a guitar. It too collected dust.

georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 03:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Mine was a good looking, feisty redheaded Irish girl who came to the US with her family in her late teens. They were northern wetbacks who entered the U.S. at night in a small boat, crossing the Detroit River from Windsor ( It was easier then to enter Canada than the U.S.). They were caught by a cop on the Belle Isle bridge and put in jail, in a case that produced some notoriety then. The explanation I recall for the arrest was that the cop was a German (somehow that explained it all). The family came from a very poor background in Ireland, but all eight children did very well for themselves here. She was very anti British all her life, and her fictitious model for a wealthy British sympathizer was a Mrs. Astorbitch.

My father, also an Irish immigrant, came from a family with middle class pretensions, however he shared her view of the British. As a then freshman Congressman, he, along with the late John Dingle's father, who held the adjacent district, both voted against Lend Lease.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 03:29 pm
I am an accomplished musician. I play the phonograph better than anyone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 03:36 pm
Pharma & Insurance Gave $43M to the 130 House Democrats Not Backing Medicare for All

https://gritpost.com/pharma-insurance-43m-house-democrats/?fbclid=IwAR0UmqPtPorzRra00MBBVUWxiLj62rcYaSpgWYfkH9dUKmcMjW9eH_NN4EU

https://gritpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Screen-Shot-2019-03-04-at-10.15.26-PM-1-560x416.png
maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 03:46 pm
@edgarblythe,
How much did Pharma & Insurance give to the Democrats who are backing Medicare for All?

Rep Jayapal, who introduced the bill, has HERSELF received

$191,522 from Finance, Insurance, & Real Estate
AND
$87,479 from Health

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of-congress/industries?cid=N00038858&cycle=2018&type=C
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:02 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Mother was a heavyset, short, Jewish turned Methodist and Rosicrucian (did I mention she was also schizophrenic?)
That was very funny.

Re drum skins... When I was about 10 my folks got me a set of cheap bongos but they had goat skin. Over time, that skin stretches and as this was a cheap set without a removable head and tighteners, the drums became useless. I had them near my bed, upside down, and used that extra space for whatever. One time, I threw orange peelings in. To my surprise and delight, that tightened those skins right back to original.

I've tried this trick on my now much looser bum skin. I have no good news to report.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:05 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
( It was easier then to enter Canada than the U.S.).

The modifier "then" strikes me as unnecessary.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:08 pm
@maporsche,
One of those necessary reminders that we often have to go to a bit of work to get a fuller pictures of things. Well done.
georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:25 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
( It was easier then to enter Canada than the U.S.).

The modifier "then" strikes me as unnecessary.

Probably so, unless you're talking about our southern border where it's relatively easy to walk in.
maporsche

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:29 pm
@blatham,
Additionally, I left a comment on that article asking the same question "How much money did people sponsoring the bill receive from healthcare?"

It was posted, then deleted by their site.

Very shady.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:34 pm
@maporsche,
Yeah, that is shady.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 04:42 pm
Quote:
Trump Policies Play Into Deficit Widening 77% So Far This Budget Year
TPM

We remember the debt that Bush 2 created. We remember that Cheney told his Treas Sec O'Neill, "Reagan taught us that deficits don't matter". We know that Republicans/conservatives have said diddly squat about deficits whenever they hold power but scream about it daily when Dems are in power. One might conclude they are not trustworthy people. One could further conclude that there is a strategy in place to deny Dems funding for programs Dems (and their voters) want in place so that good government can be portrayed as a contradiction in terms AND so that government can be made small enough to be drowned in the bathtub.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 05:01 pm
Deficits only hurt when unemployment is high.

Japan has taught the world that as long as interest rates and inflation are kept in check debt and deficits don't matter.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 07:22 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Probably so, unless you're talking about our southern border where it's relatively easy to walk in.
Yes. I've heard they are arriving on elephants. And this time, there's no mountains and no snow. You guys are finished.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 08:15 pm
@blatham,
Damn Bernie, I laughed out loud and jolted mr g'bag away from the Wake Forest-Duke basketball game....its serious college b-ball time here on the East Coast. But even during trying times such as these, your elephants, mountains and snow remark drew a hearty appreciative chuckle.
oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 10:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
@GeraldoRivera
I’m a proud Jewish Zionist who is critical of Israel’s occupation of Palestine. Isn’t there space for secular criticism & why is this Rep. getting so much grief?
What occupation? The Palestinians in Gaza and Area A fully govern themselves.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 10:33 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Additionally, I left a comment on that article asking the same question "How much money did people sponsoring the bill receive from healthcare?"
Very shady.
I was once instantly banned from a leftist website after just a single post there.

They were engaging in histrionics over Hiroshima and Nagasaki (it was an anniversary of the bombings), and all I did was politely point out the reality that Japan did not make any attempt to surrender until after both A-bombs had already been dropped, and that both A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

Apparently they wanted a safe space from the "dangers" of facts and reality.
snood

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2019 10:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
Very shady.
I was once instantly banned from a leftist website after just a single post there.

They were engaging in histrionics over Hiroshima and Nagasaki (it was an anniversary of the bombings), and all I did was politely point out the reality that Japan did not make any attempt to surrender until after both A-bombs had already been dropped, and that both A-bombs were dropped on military targets.

Apparently they wanted a safe space from the "dangers" of facts and reality.

That’s certainly one possibility. Another is they saw immediate banning of you as an opportunity to avoid commentary from someone profanely insensitive and ignorant.
There are many possibilities.