hightor

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:23 am
@revelette1,
I think it looks better — and is more politically effective — if Congress (or the next administration) steps in corrects the deficiencies, outlines a new mission for the force, and throws out any agents found guilty of brutality and abuse.
hightor

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:26 am
@coldjoint,
What does Trudeau have to do with Trump's stupid pose? Trying to change the subject tends to reinforce the impression that even Trump's defenders find it difficult to explain his bizarre behavior.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:29 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
The whole agency needs seriously reformation and new rules.

ICE does not work at our borders. They have nothing to do with minors apprehended and held after entering illegally. That is our Border Patrol.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:31 am
@hightor,
Quote:
What does Trudeau have to do with Trump's stupid pose?

What doesn't he have to do with it? Is he the head of the Canadian government or not? He can be ridiculed like Trump is, right?
hightor

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:34 am
@coldjoint,
But just pointing the figure at someone else and saying "He's just as bad" is really childish. The grownup response would be to either actively defend Trump and explain why the picture isn't as ridiculous as it looks or just ignore the post in the first place.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:40 am
@hightor,
Quote:
actively defend Trump and explain why the picture isn't as ridiculous as it looks or just ignore the post in the first place.

I have defended Trump. Remember this? The "selfie" president, surely just as childish.
https://cdn.abcotvs.com/dip/images/515527_021215-kgo-obama-selfie-img.jpg?w=1280&r=16:9
I don't recall a fuss when Obama acted childish.
blatham

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:47 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Being fixated on the agency instead of the orders being given to the agency just seems weird to me.
I think that is mainly right but it is possible that rolling up several different agencies/functions into one body after 9-11 leaves the functioning of ICE a bit too susceptible to people like Cheney or the people around Trump.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:56 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Instead, there are widespread worries that the momentum in Pennsylvania, and in other key Rust Belt states, could screech to a halt if the issues in the 2020 presidential primaries and the party’s eventual nominee stray too far left for the region’s many centrist voters.
We're going to see many other pieces like this. Some will be well-intended, thoughtful and legit news pieces but many others will be either lazy (horse race coverage) or ill-intended (foment disaffection in Dem ranks). It will be up to us to sort through these sources. At present, I'm not worried about this at all.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 11:59 am
@blatham,
Quote:
It will be up to us to sort through these sources

No it won't. You will be told what to think and what to say. Next.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:16 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I can't ever recall hearing double dog dare before up here in Canada.

can't speak to the wild west but it's commonly used from Manitoba heading east (and was def in use in Manitoba in the 1970's)
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:17 pm
What is the point of winning an election if you aren't going to make a stand for the future? After forty years of sliding, why don't certain Democrats want to reverse the trend? Another four of status quo or further sliding will turn this into a one party conservative nation.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I thought you might weigh in with some news from the parts of Canada that don't matter.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:20 pm
@blatham,
ha!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:27 pm
@coldjoint,
Obviously you can't explain Trump's pose and instead take the opportunity to continue the childish behavior. It's one thing to take an obviously silly selfie, quite another to debase the American flag by using it as a convenient prop. v I wonder who took the picture of Trump — and who decided to release it. "Look at how much I love America. Look at ME!" It's pathetic.
hightor

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:29 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
At present, I'm not worried about this at all.

Better to worry about it now than next September.
revelette1

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:39 pm
@hightor,
To use a corny phrase, it is corny and a bit dumb looking.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:42 pm
@hightor,
Agreed.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 12:59 pm
@hightor,
Thank God someone else realized that Trump is debasing the flag. He used the flag of this country as a prop rubbing his face and hands all over it like it was a Giant roll of Bounty paper towels. The flag in actuality is just a rectangle of cloth but it is the symbol of our country, the flag represents the sacrifices made by Americans who gave everything To guarantee we can live as free people.

Now, the so-called Real Patriots are hooping and hollering like a moonshine infused mass of yahoos over the cringe inducing behaviour of that clown in a rumpled suit. He hugs the flag!! That pisses me off....it’s disresptfull, it’s vaunglorious and contemptible for a ‘leader’ to pull stunts like that. I want to know what happened to the Republican Party??? When did they lose their love of country.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 01:05 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
quite another to debase the American flag by using it as a convenient prop

Like when it, the flag, was burned by Maxine Waters supporters? Trump could never come close to the things Left has done to disrespect our flag.
https://www.chicagomag.com/images/cache/cache_4/cache_1/cache_a/features_ayers1-ec6a8a14.jpeg?ver=1482328604&aspectratio=0.83333333333333
blatham

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2019 01:09 pm
@hightor,
Let's try to look at this from a woman's point of view.

What would it be like to have this man come up to you uninvited, kiss you and then grab you by the pussy?

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/intelligencer/2019/03/02/02-CPAC-Trump-Hugs-Flag.w700.h467.jpg

What woman wouldn't feel honored?