coldjoint

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 03:48 pm
Quote:
Democrats who want to rebuild the nation’s reputation and influence as much as its economy.

Nothing can tarnish a nation that saved the world and then rebuilt Europe. Americans know that.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 03:55 pm
@hightor,
It's a good piece. I like Jamelle. He was previously a regular contributor at Greg Sargent's Plumline blog before Waldman took on that role.
Quote:
For Sanders, the United States must create a global order that can constrain authoritarian states and bring democratic accountability to global capitalism.
This one is tricky. The one point of affinity I had for the neoconservative camp was their recognition that America had a moral responsibility to engage other nations where citizens were living under authoritarian/totalitarian regimes (or where other situations were causing great human suffering). Of course, that crowd also cheered for American political and military dominance over everyone else in the world (explicit in PNAC documents) and because it was commonly working in the service of American corporations.

But the goal itself is a very good one, even if progress towards it will have more failures than successes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 03:59 pm
Quote:
During Chris Wallace’s much-discussed cross-examination of Stephen Miller last weekend, Trump’s senior adviser pulled off a move of supreme rhetorical sleaze. In defending Trump’s declaration of a national emergency to build his wall, Miller slipped this in with almost no time remaining for Wallace to correct him:

Quote:
This is a deep intellectual problem that is plaguing this city which is that we’ve had thousands of Americans die year after year after year because of threats crossing our southern border. … If the president can’t defend this country, then he cannot fulfill this constitutional oath of office.

Post fact checker Glenn Kessler has a new piece that dismantles this absurdity from every different angle. It’s entirely baseless. There isn’t any national comprehensive data set on people killed by undocumented immigrants, but as Kessler shows, if you extrapolate out using other data sets, the claim is not even close to credible.

What’s more, studies show that undocumented immigrants commit crimes at lower rates than native-born Americans and that illegal immigration does not lead to increased crime or violence.
Greg Sargent

Sleazy is exactly the correct descriptor of this guy.
blatham

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 04:02 pm
Podcast at Crooked with Elizabeth Warren on Medicare for All, climate change, Venezuela, Israel and other stuff
https://crooked.com/podcast/elizabeth-warren-talks-dogs-and-capitalism/
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 04:15 pm
@blatham,
Your "Look everyone! I think what they think!" game is pretty boring.

But I'm curious as to whether she's an antisemite, so I'll give it a listen.
blatham

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 05:19 pm
Just a quick message to all the folks I have on ignore.

I would urge you all to avoid classical Greek culture. They acknowledged right up front that self-knowledge is almost always bad news.

Thanks for listening.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 05:27 pm
@blatham,
If a country can't control its borders then it has a serious and fundamental problem. The fact is that we really don't know who is entering our country illegally across our southern border. It's openness is widely known and it is safe to assume that other folks seeking undocumented entry are using it as well in the crowd of Central Americans. In the current circumstances the President is well within the requirements of his oath of office, both with respect to enforcing the law and protecting our national safety to take the steps he has taken.

It doesn't take much intelligence or experience of life or to recognize that the systematic failure to enforce any major body of laws, and supinely allow widespread, highly visible mass violations of them, constitutes a serious threat to all our laws.

It is unfortunate that neither you nor Mr, Kessler took the trouble to identify or even read the "studies" you postulate exist. Despite that you make these unfounded and very hard to believe (and vague) assertions. Odd that you so insistently demand such citations and data from those who disagree with you. One crime committed in this country by a person who has no right to be here at all is one too many.

I am astounded by you evident taste for this superficial sophistry - filled commentary. It appears you actually consider this to be some form of scholarship. It is very far from that, as are your posts on the matter.
oralloy

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 05:27 pm
@oralloy,
Well there's an hour of my life that I'll never get back. I'm glad I set VLC to play at double speed. 56 minutes of whining about the Supreme Court before they even invited Warren on.

I detected no antisemitism from her in the interview, for what it's worth -- just a naive belief that it is possible to negotiate with Palestinians.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 05:43 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I detected no antisemitism from her in the interview, for what it's worth -

I got the feeling the interviewer does not like Israel. He tried to bring it out of Warren. She does need to acknowledge the antisemitism in her own party. The questions never got around to that.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 06:06 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It’s Bernie’s World. The Democratic Party are Just Living in It.
…..

Bernie Sanders showed us that another world is possible. If that world becomes a reality, we’ll have him to thank – whether he becomes president or not.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 06:11 pm
@georgeob1,
Heh heh heh. Ya bastid. I know what that was.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 06:15 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
I detected no antisemitism from her in the interview, for what it's worth -

I got the feeling the interviewer does not like Israel. He tried to bring it out of Warren. She does need to acknowledge the antisemitism in her own party. The questions never got around to that.

There might be a culture of silent oppression with regard to anti-Semitism. People don't want to speak out about their anti-Israel views because they are afraid of being called anti-Semitic, but they also don't want to give up those views. Then when they get angry about Palestinian oppression or Iran or whatever, they sort of silently boil over because they repress their own free expression of their POV.

It's a strange phenomenon. You could maybe call it 'sub-democratic discourse.'
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 06:18 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It’s Bernie’s World. The Democratic Party are Just Living in It.
…..
Bernie Sanders showed us that another world is possible. If that world becomes a reality, we’ll have him to thank – whether he becomes president or not.

My impression is that AOC and other of the infantile radicals recently arisen to prominence in the Democrat party have indeed paid some dutiful recognition of Sanders as the trailblazer for this movement, but they have stopped short of advocating or endorsing his candidacy for the coming Primary, preferring, I suspect to keep their chips in hand while they are valuable.

I concede that Bernie has shown us that another Democrat Platform is possible, however there is good reason to doubt that it will be effective in the Presidential election. Moreover, as Bernie has studiously and steadfastly refused to elaborate any specifics on either the cost of the programs he advocates or how the country could possibly pay for it, even with our currently booming economy (something that would quickly reverse course if he were elected); he has not come at all close to describing how the new world he describes could be possible or sustained.

All things considered I believe this "new wave" of adolescent radicals appears to be a great political gift to Trump.
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 07:10 pm
@georgeob1,
George, that’s just not true. He’s posted the methods of paying for everything he proposes years ago.

Why are people lying about that? I’ve brought links twice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 07:57 pm
Bernie Sanders campaign co-chairs will be:
- California congressman Ro Khanna
- San Juan mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz
- Our Revolution president Nina Turner
Lash

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 08:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
Goddammit. I’m proud as hell to be on their side.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 08:06 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/52757178_10217760670705852_1850823243183685632_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=a54c4eaf6f161802029bacec813a8e81&oe=5CF411D0
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 09:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Egocentrism is a killer, George.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 09:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Do you admire Steve Miller as much as you do Trump?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2019 10:00 pm
@georgeob1,
There is a very large, and largely silent, lobby for illegal immigrants, who are wanted to do stoop labor that no American would do. It appears to me that you are living in a typical conservative fantasy world. After the Chinese Exclusion Act, and the Japanese attack on Hawaii, Hispanics became the labor of choice. This has been so for more than seventy years.