revelette1

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Progressive Democrats Won’t Vote For Funding Bill That Gives More Money To ICE

Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib said they won’t back a deal that hikes ICE and CBP budgets.

Quote:
Almost as importantly, Trump’s emergency declaration distracts political attention from what could have been the first big intra-Democratic fight of the primary. The funding bill Congress passed Thursday was attacked by progressives in the immigrant rights movement for its expansion of immigration detention and what they perceived as insufficient checks on Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Several presidential candidates — including Sens. Kamala Harris (D-CA), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) — voted against it. Others — including Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) and the still-undeclared-but-likely candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) — voted for.

Under normal circumstances, those on each side of the bill would now be dogged by questions about their votes — and invited to attack candidates who disagreed. But now, there’s something else for reporters to ask about: an emergency declaration that every Democrat will agree is unnecessary and destructive.

https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBTDymY?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:15 pm
OMAR/AIPAC
In a way, I am glad that IIhan Omar has been attacked, albeit unjustly, over criticizing AIPAC, as she did. It forcibly brings that group to the fore, in public awareness, as never before. It is my hope that more people, as a result, will come to the same conclusion she did.

In years past, I avoided commenting on Israel's government, for fear I would also be called an anti-semite. But they are openly criminal in their endeavors, to the extent I can no longer let it go un-protested. I urge every non involved person to become informed and to bring your voice into the fray.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
albeit unjustly,

Bullshit.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
In years past, I avoided commenting on Israel's government, for fear I would also be called an anti-semite. But they are openly criminal in their endeavors, to the extent I can no longer let it go un-protested.
Falsely accusing Jews of imaginary crimes is horrible. Shame on you.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:34 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Falsely accusing Jews of imaginary crimes is horrible. Shame on you.

It is apparent, and becoming very clear, hating Jews is part of the Progressive platform. Edgar seems to be one of those haters.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
No, edgar, the "attack" was not unjust. Ilhan Omar has a history of this type of thing. It goes back at least to 2012.

Now if you want to express outrage over how she is/was treated in a dreadful manner, by all means, to it. Just be sure to remind yourself how willing you are to give her a free pass while not extending the same courtesy to those who aren't in your allegedly progressive group.

Maybe reading this will help you better comprehend what the problem here is.
www.jta.org/2019/02/14/politics/the-ilhan-omar-anti-semitism-controversy-explained
Sturgis

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 03:56 pm
@coldjoint,
Certainly starting to appear that way.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
In a way, I am glad that IIhan Omar has been attacked, albeit unjustly, over criticizing AIPAC, as she did. It forcibly brings that group to the fore, in public awareness, as never before.
The attacks were predictable because:
1) this is standard AIPAC policy
2) because the GOP and right wing media strategy is to demean any Dem they see as a potential threat
3) because a clear electoral strategy the right is counting on is painting the present Dem party as extremist (thus the style and content of the attacks on AOC and the GND).

But as to bringing AIPAC's operations and influence more into the light... that's a very good thing.

revelette1

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:40 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
But as to bringing AIPAC's operations and influence more into the light... that's a very good thing.

I agree, I guess that makes me an anti-Semite as well. Rolling Eyes
coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:42 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I agree, I guess that makes me an anti-Semite as well.

It doesn't make you look too bright, either.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:44 pm
@Sturgis,
From the piece you linked
Quote:
However, when you focus on AIPAC as the example of money in politics, or link Jewish influence to deep pockets, that’s when it becomes a problem.

We all know the history of anti-Semitism in US politics and culture. But the point argued above is not very convincing because if one even mentions AIPAC's influence, one is necessarily "focusing" on it.

AIPAC, like many other such interest groups wishing to steer US politics, does have a lot of money to draw upon. That's just a factual matter.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
3) because a clear electoral strategy the right is counting on is painting the present Dem party as extremist (thus the style and content of the attacks on AOC and the GND).
If leftists do not want to be condemned for being neonazis, there is a easy way for them to avoid it: they can stop being neonazis.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:53 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I agree, I guess that makes me an anti-Semite as well.
And of course you're right, it doesn't. Nor does another position noted in the prior piece - support for boycotts against businesses located in Israel. The charge that such a position is anti-Israel/anti-Semitic has been a propaganda device pushed not by Israel or Israelis generally but by Likud and its allies.

But I do understand the sensitivity of Jews anywhere regarding things said about them as a nation or as a culture for the reasons we all know. "Jew S A, Jew S A, Jew S A" for example. Stuff not just in the past but newly pushed and re-invigorated right now.
oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:59 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Nor does another position noted in the prior piece - support for boycotts against businesses located in Israel.
Calls to act against Jews because of imaginary crimes are very much antisemitism.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 05:02 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
But I do understand the sensitivity of Jews

The same sensitivity that causes Muslims to kill people? Wait, Jews are not doing that. It is hate for the Jews and another democracy, besides the one we have in America.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 06:08 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 06:37 pm
Remember conservative Richard Nixon created the EPA. As is often the case, much of what the media, neoliberals and oligarchs peg as 'radical' or 'leftist' nowadays is, in fact, a return to basic centrism that was mainstream in the era from FDR up until Reagan took this country on a sharp right toward our new Gilded Age, assisted by neoliberals like the Clintons in the Dem party.

"Arguing for the Clean Air Act on Earth Day 1970, Senator Edmund Muskie, Democrat of Maine...insisted that “man’s environment” included “the shape of the communities in which he lives” and that “the only kind of society that has a chance” was “a society that will not tolerate slums for some and decent houses for others, rats for some and playgrounds for others, clean air for some and filth for others.”...For Senator Muskie, environmentalism meant that no neighborhood or job should be toxic. In the three years that followed, the country adopted the most ambitious and effective environmental legislation in its history, including Mr. Muskie’s Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act and the Endangered Species Act... Like much new radicalism, the Green New Deal is good sense rediscovered."
https://www.nytimes.com/…/green-new-deal-ocasio-cortez-.html
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 10:38 pm
Comrade Questions
@anarchosocial
·
10h
Superdelegate Barbara Lee is now the co-chair of Kamala's presidential campaign in California?

And her sister works at MSNBC?

And she met with Hillary's donors in the Hamptons?

And the DNC moved her home state up to Super Tuesday so she will pick up an early delegate lead?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:20 pm
Superdelegates who have endorsed Kamala Harris:

• Nanette Barragán
• Katie Hill
• Barbara Lee
• Ted Lieu

And it's only February 14, 2019.
blatham

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2019 05:42 am
@edgarblythe,