coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 08:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Ronald Reagan would run on a promise to tear down Trump's wall

Reagan bargained for the same thing but it never got done. That seems to have changed. About time. And Reagan was trying to reunite Germany, not destroy it.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 08:42 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
everything needs to be verified

yup - I tend to look most things up at 2 or 3 sources before posting (if it's something that should be verifiable v an opinion piece) - most things from the centre/left, I'll take a look at Fox coverage before posting - sometimes I'll use the Fox reference for posting at A2k
Real Music

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 09:02 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
It's the same. The meme is based on Harris's appearance on a radio program of some sort. If you read the back and forth between her and the hosts, it's easy to see how the meme is horseshit.

I don't believe however that any one political group (or any group in general) has a monopoly on this sort of bad behavior. The lesson isn't that it's a "right-wing" or "left-wing" lie, it's that everything needs to be verified. What use is a debate when you're using shitty or just plain made up facts, even if they look to help prop up your case?

Yes you are absolutely correct.
I definitely agree.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 09:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
yup - I tend to look most things up at 2 or 3 sources before posting

For the most part, I will verify news stories from more than one source before I post.
I also will provide a link to where I found the news story.
I never ever use memes as proof.
I only use memes to poke fun at someone or some thing, but never use memes as evidence.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 10:38 pm
@coldjoint,
(Ronald Reagan) too moderate for today’s GOP?

Published May 31, 2012

Quote:
Ronald Reagan, supposed hero of the neo conservative right, would never have made it in today’s GOP.

Reagan passed massive tax cuts his first year in office, but then reversed many of them when he signed into law the Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 (TEFRA). Former Reagan advisor Bruce Bartlett wrote in 2003 that “according to a recent Treasury Department study, TEFRA alone raised taxes by almost 1 percent of the gross domestic product, making it the largest peacetime tax increase in American history.”

And we cannot forget that when he was governor of California, Reagan signed into law the largest tax increase in the history of any state up until that point in an effort to balance the budget. Once president, Reagan raised taxes seven out of eight of his years in office — including four times in just two years for a total of 12 times as president. And one cannot forget that all but two of the budgets he submitted to Congress proposed more spending than Congress sent back to him to sign. Moreover, Reagan also backed a $3.3 billion gasoline tax and he bailed out the Social Security program to the tune of $165 billion.

Indeed, the tax increases Reagan agreed to, as part of negotiations with a Democratic Congress — increases that included raising the gasoline tax and payroll taxes — are actually bigger than anything the Obama White House is proposing now. When it came to debt reduction, Reagan accepted it as a given that any agreement with Congress would include a combination of spending cuts and tax increases. The debate would be over the ratio. Indeed, it’s one of the reasons Reagan ended up raising taxes in seven out of the eight years he was in office. (Remember, “no peacetime president has ever raised taxes so much on so many people” as Reagan as was noted by Paul Krugman of the New York Times back in 2004.) What about the debt ceiling? Reagan’s viewpoints there were crystal clear. In a November 1983 letter to then-Senate Majority Leader Howard H. Baker Jr. (R-Tenn.), Reagan warned that without a higher debt ceiling, the country could be forced to default for the first time in its history.

Reagan wrote: “The full consequences of a default — or even the serious prospect of default — by the United States are impossible to predict and awesome to contemplate. Denigration of the full faith and credit of the United States would have substantial effects on the domestic financial markets and the value of the dollar.” For a party that has worked tirelessly to destroy the civil rights of homosexuals, Reagan was a maverick in his strident opposition to the Briggs Initiative in California, which would’ve banned gays and lesbians from teaching in the public schools, and his opposition helped defeat the measure.

Reagan did little to tighten restrictions against abortion as president and actually passed the most liberal pro-choice legislation up until that time as governor of California. He grew the size of the federal government tremendously, adding 60,000 new government jobs (versus, for instance, Bill Clinton, who shrank government payrolls by 373,000). As governor of California, Reagan supported and ultimately expanded Medi-Cal, which is the nation’s largest Medicaid program. Both as governor and president, he was one of the most proactive presidents in restricting smog emissions and protecting wilderness. And after his press secretary was shot during an assassination attempt against him, the president came out in support of stricter gun-control laws. Lastly, let’s not forget that Reagan granted amnesty to aliens as president, giving citizenship to over a million illegals living in the USA with the stroke of a pen, a position antithetical to current GOP ideology.

Any Republican today talking or governing like Ronald Reagan would earn a swift kick out of their party, labeled as a tax-raising, debt ceiling raising, gay-loving, amnesty- granting, abortion supporting, gun-control advocating big spender.

You can then add “raising the debt ceiling” to that list, since Reagan raised the debt ceiling 18 times during his presidency.

But don’t take my word for it. What about Republicans like Rep. Duncan Hunter who called Reagan “a former liberal … who would never be elected today,” or Mike Huckabbee noting that “Ronald Reagan would have a very difficult, if not impossible, time being nominated in this atmosphere of the Republican Party”. What about Senator Lindsay Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, who recently observed: “Ronald Reagan would have a hard time getting elected as a Republican”.

Better yet, let’s hear from his Reagan’s own son, Michael Reagan, who noted on Fox News last September that his father would not have been able to get the GOP nomination today because he was far too liberal. “If you look at my father and you just knew him as governor — raised taxes, signed an abortion bill, no-fault divorce, and a few other things — today, the argument against him would come from the right, not from the left.

http://samuel-warde.com/2012/05/ronald-reagan-too-moderate-for-todays-gop/
coldjoint

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 10:59 pm
@Real Music,
And that is an issue?
Real Music

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 11:04 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
And that is an issue?

Just an acknowledgement.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2019 11:31 pm
right on

Progressive Democrats Won’t Vote For Funding Bill That Gives More Money To ICE
Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley and Rashida Tlaib said they won’t back a deal that hikes ICE and CBP budgets.
oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:59 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
It coincided with the collapse of the Egyptian forces in Sinai, and the breakout of the Israeli Army towards the canal and beyond.
Why would they want to hide any of that from the US? It's not like Israel was planning to capture and occupy Cairo. Israel needed to turn their attention north and start repelling the Syrians.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:00 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I tell you what, how about first you enlist in one of the services, or become an analyst at one of the Intel agencies, become proficient in TA, CA, CL, HUMINT, SIGINT, ELINT, TELINT military, economic and political research, work for 30 + years then try and craft a question that doesn't make you sound like "I would be totally wasting g'bag's time, because I am totally out of my depth" ?
You can't back up any of your claims, and you're a very poor bluffer.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 04:51 am
@Real Music,
Pretty amazing...
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 07:28 am
@edgarblythe,
As predicted.

Meaningless protest votes on a bill guaranteed to pass (no courage required) followed by predictable cheers for them.

The game is at work.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 08:06 am
@Real Music,
That partisan pap about Reagan not meeting today's Republic standards is not logically sound (although it is a good propaganda piece).

You could say the same thing about any Democratic figure from the past... pick a Democratic figure, and I will write about he is too moderate for today's Democratic party. Bill Clinton is too easy... should I try Jimmy Carter?, JFK?, FDR?....

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 09:56 am
“This should be initiated immediately,” said Boyle. “All you need is one brave member of the U.S. House of Representatives to meaningfully assert that body’s Power of the Purse. Trump’s indications that he will override that legislative power and the seeming acquiescence by some Democrats is illegitimate and dangerous and subverts a fundamental premise of the Constitution.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/trumps-latest-power-grab-triggers-calls-for-impeachment/
blatham

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 11:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
the seeming acquiescence by some Democrats

If Boyle is speaking specifically to Trump's declaration today, I know of no Dems who side with Trump.

If he is speaking about the reluctance of Dems to start impeachment proceedings (now or even much earlier), this isn't really a matter of some failure of courage. As I think we all understand, there might not be a single living Dem politico or voter who deems that the impeachment of Trump would be legally or morally inappropriate.

The question is whether - in this present political universe - such a move would help or hinder in getting the sociopath out of office and in curtailing the extremisms of the modern GOP. That's a far tougher question. And it is a far more important qeustion.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 12:09 pm
Impeach simply means the same as to indict. There is no question that a simple majority could be found, or bullied into voting for impeachment. To convict, however, requires a two-thirds vote of a quorum of the Senate. It ain'ta gonna happen, and it would be stupid and counterproductive to try.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:29 pm
What’s the progressive view on Amazon taking their HQ2 out of New York City?

AOCs comments are being discussed in the news. Not favorably mostly. I haven’t heard them myself yet just hearing commentary.

I hope Chicago is back in the running.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 01:44 pm
@maporsche,
Ill bet the reason they pulled out is that they got a better tax deal from some other city, state.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:07 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Ill bet the reason they pulled out is that they got a better tax deal from some other city, state.

One Democratic shithole is just like the other. Amazon does not care about anything but money.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2019 02:08 pm
I haven't been reading the responses on here for some days. I did skip through a couple quickly just now. The response to Harris smoking weed meme. I freely admit I was wrong about a single issue concerning her, but the general thrust of my criticisms of her are much too mild, if anything.
0 Replies