edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 10:00 pm
People didnt "hear" Ilhan Omar differently. They smeared her and bullied her into apologizing for speaking truth to power.

All those Dems in Congress who participated in smearing Ilhan today ARE NOT ON YOUR SIDE AND NEVER WILL BE
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 10:48 pm
Idiot

Chuck Schumer
@SenSchumer
·
9h
Rep. Omar’s use of an anti-Semitic stereotype was offensive and irresponsible.

This kind of intolerance has no place in Congress—or anywhere in American society.

No one should invoke anti-Semitic tropes during policy disagreements.
Yusuf
Yusuf
@yusuf_VI
·
8m
We know that you and other Democrats and Republicans take millions from AIPAC. You don't get to fearmonger to us about Russian money in US politics while taking Israeli money and answering to Israel's concerns over US concerns. All foreign money, all of it, out of US politics.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Gee, and what truth would that be?

Granted, she had some level of what might have flown under the radar as truth; but, she lost it with her obvious antisemitic comments. Further, this was not the first time she's done this sort of thing.

Hopefully Omar will be gone after one season and he replaced by an actual Liberal.

Being against Lobbyists is great, attaching it to a religion, any religion or belief system, is not great. Not good and in no way represents the platform you claim to want!
Sturgis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
idiot

Edgar, you clearly don't understand what Rep.Omar did. The level of offensiveness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:32 pm
Note that the establishments never challenged
@IlhanMN
’s criticism towards #AIPAC’s corruption, but rather evaded the discussion by immediately smearing her character.

They are afraid to expose the strangle hold that #AIPAC has put on them, which ironically proves Omar’s point.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:45 pm
@Sturgis,
The truth that Likud and AIPAC hold an inordinate amount of influence in Washington, maybe.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:47 pm
How's about Edgar answering for himself.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:54 pm
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:55 pm
@Sturgis,
Whenever he's ready.

You don't think there's something fishy in AIPAC?

Let me see what the Jewish Forward says about. I'm usually close to their editorial line.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 12:04 am
@Olivier5,
Okay so the Forward informs us and Omar that AIPAC doesn't actually bribe US politicians. It doesn't need to. It's just that if you cross them, they'll try and terminate your career.

Point well taken.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:38 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree with you on this. I don't see it as attacking a religion, but as a powerful lobbying group which has an undue influence on the Israel/Palestine issue. I honestly don't get the stereotype theory. People say the NRA has an undue influence on lawmakers in Washington, what is the difference?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:51 am
shitheads
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJQ21uXQAER5Z5?format=jpg&name=900x900
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 07:53 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DzJiM38VYAEzGfH?format=jpg&name=small
maporsche

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 08:30 am
Just checking. Is Klobuchar progressive?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 09:24 am
I am sure some of you think my extended break is a coward's way of avoiding counter posts on here. I expect nothing less on social media. The fact is, I am serious about completing some stories while still young enough to work at it. This thread had become all consuming. I had to make a tough choice in backing off and letting others try to turn it into an apology for the so-called mainstream. I have no illusions that progressives will have enough power to alter the Republican/Democrat coin flipism. I hope I am wrong.

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Flip_Decision
revelette1

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 09:57 am
@edgarblythe,
I wish I could write stories. I have them in my head, but when I try to write, they just become silly. I hope you do take time to complete your stories. After all, if completed, they will be around long after the importance of this thread or perhaps even it's existence.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 09:58 am
Mark Kalafatas
@MarkKalafatas
·
12h
"[The] liberal establishment has been endlessly bleating about the need to elevate women of color ... and it turns out they actually meant they just wanted women with dark skin who will advance the status quo of the white imperialist patriarchy." .
@caitoz
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 11:41 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I agree with you on this. I don't see it as attacking a religion, but as a powerful lobbying group which has an undue influence on the Israel/Palestine issue. I honestly don't get the stereotype theory. People say the NRA has an undue influence on lawmakers in Washington, what is the difference?

I agree with you - they are more or less equivalent. Both try hard to protect the interests for which they are named. In general both Democrats and Republicans tend to see (or imagine) dark influences on the funding groups that direct their support generally to the other party.

AIPAC generally seeks to reinforce American support for Israel, both in the International community and in material terms in subsidies to the Israeli Defense force, as well as Political support in Middle Eastern affairs.

Life only rarely offers us choices between absolute good and bad - particularly in the area of politics of any kind. Despite that choices must be made.

Israel is not the liberal, democratic society it makes itself out to be. The Palestinians who constitute about 25% of Israeli citizens are indeed treated as second class citizens - their wages are generally less, and they are, for the most part, excluded from the political and economic elites of that country. However their liberty and economic situations are indeed better than those of their brethren in Palestine and all the neighboring countries of the Mid East ( except perhaps Jordan).

I have long believed that Israel made a great error, with lasting bad effects, when, after their overwhelming victory in the 1967 war, in which they seized all of the territory of the former Palestine, they failed to take the opportunity to create a multi ethnic state protecting the rights of both Jews and Palestinians. However the sad fact is that history does not reveal its alternatives. I cannot be sure that the Palestinians and their regional neighbors would not have, in the ensuing years, misused their improved status to drive out the perceived invaders of their country - or worse. Certainly the subsequent history of the PLO and their neighbors (particularly Syria, and for a while Egypt - under the Moslem Brotherhood) strongly suggests they would have been a constant existential threat to the new multi ethnic state. It is also clear that the Israelis were convinced of that.

Life only rarely offers us choices between absolute good and evil - particularly in politics and the governance of human affairs. The alternatives usually involve both, and, as well, a good deal of uncertainty about the outcome. Despite that choices must be made.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 12:42 pm
Antisemitism is growing everywhere, fuelled IMO by three factors.

One is generational: our generation and those following us are tired of remembering the Holocaust, tired of the "never again" refrain, tired of being responsible students of history. It's been 80 years. Our political immunity to fascism is naturally (though sadly) fading.

The second reason is Israel's constant denial of their own crimes, and getting away with it since 1967. If the Jews get to be fascists for so long, why can't the rest of us 'indulge'?

The third is immigration from Muslim countries into Europe, the US, etc. 'Whites' or Christians easily forget about the plight of the Palestinians, one suffering people among others... who cares? But Muslims cannot forget so easily; it remains an open wound in their heart. AND many Muslim countries are antisemite in a sort of casual way, as Christians used to be in decades past, prior to the Holocaust...
hightor

Reply Tue 12 Feb, 2019 12:47 pm
georgeob and Olivier5 — good posts!
0 Replies