maporsche

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:34 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The growth rate of wind and solar power is limited by their cost, despite large subsidies and guaranteed access to sales to Public Utilities.

This isn't as lucrative as it sounds. I just had a guy come analyze my home for solar 2 weeks ago. Turns out at least in Illinois, the power companies will only buy solar energy up to 10% greater than your home needs.

So despite having the funds and roof real estate to put panels on my roof that exceed my energy usage by ~60%, the power company (ComEd) will only buy 10%.

It was a bummer to find that piece out, and it will likely keep me from going solar for now.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:43 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

The growth rate of wind and solar power is limited by their cost, despite large subsidies and guaranteed access to sales to Public Utilities.

This isn't as lucrative as it sounds. I just had a guy come analyze my home for solar 2 weeks ago. Turns out at least in Illinois, the power companies will only buy solar energy up to 10% greater than your home needs.

That 10% over actual use limit appears fairly reasonable to me. In the first place compelling someone (or a company) to buy something is an infringement on freedom. Secondly, considering the fact that the utility pays for and operates the power transmission grid that makes the delivery of your solar power possible, the limitation looks reasonable to me.

The unhappy fact is that solar power is, even with subsidies, very expensive compared to the alternatives.
maporsche

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:50 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

maporsche wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

That 10% over actual use limit appears fairly reasonable to me. In the first place compelling someone (or a company) to buy something is an infringement on freedom. Secondly, considering the fact that the utility pays for and operates the power transmission grid that makes the delivery of your solar power possible the limitation looks reasonable to me.

I would still pay the same grid taxes as I do now. There's no getting around that.

I disagree with your compelling point, but that's a matter of opinion and our ideologies differing.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:57 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Haha. I wish I could have I summed up the frustration with debating with him so well. Nevertheless, I find George one of the more sane conservatives on this site.

Damn ! I almost missed this !! "Relatively sane"; I'm overwhelmed.

The truth is that all of us here are debating our opinions about a complex & changing world, and doing so in the field of politics , which is always a fractious conflict of opposing interests and passions.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:13 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I'll concede that the currently booming demand for electric cars is one I didn't foresee. While electric vehicles are indeed exhilarating torque machines, they are significantly less efficient than IC vehicles, when the losses attendant to generating the power; transmitting it to the charging site; and charging/discharging the battery are included to make the comparison meaningful.. In addition electric vehicles take hours to charge (unless one pays Tesla about $8K for a high speed charging station (Tesla is now closing their formerly free ones) . Finally since the batteries are good only for ~ 500 charge/discharge cycles, the owner is confronted with a $22K replacement cost at about 50,000 miles. The $7.5K Federal direct subsidies on all electric vehicles are now being removed, and Tesla is scrambling to reduce the price while still making a profit to sustain its sales. My bet is the company will collapse within a few years. (I certainly don't recommend an investment in the stock).

Hybrid vehicles are a different story. They have an ultra efficient constant speed IC engine that delivers nearly all of the power; a rechargeable battery & motor to take the acceleration transients (which significantly reduce the efficiency of IC engines) , and synchronous generator braking to save otherwise lost energy.
I think plug-in hybrids are interesting, not so much for environmental purposes, but because of the diversity of fuel sources.

When gas is cheap you can run them entirely on gas (and efficiently too, since they are hybrids). When gas is expensive, you can plug them in and let them charge overnight so you don't have to fill up the gas tank as often.
oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I have no beef with hydro-electric generation which is benign (other than as regards conflict with resident populations who will have to move).
Large dams can wipe out migrating fish.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:31 pm
@oralloy,
Actually, if you look at the technical details of their operation, hybrids are fueled and driven almost exclusively by the gasoline powered engine. Their batteries are small (and relatively inexpensive) but you can't drive very far on them alone.

The main advantage of hybrids (and it's a big one) is that the battery & motor take all of the acceleration and deceleration transients - things that electric motors do very well - while the engine hums along charging the battery at a constant speed and torque, for which it is very precisely optimized.

The result is a huge gain in the efficiency of the IC engine, and a commensurate reduction in emissions.

Teslas would be beneficial only if we had a zero emission and cheap source of electrical energy; lower cost large lithium batteries to store the energy; and a readily available way to recharge them in less than six hours. Unfortunately we have none of these. Right now Teslas are for rich urban commuters who recharge their batteries overnight; and reward themselves with large (but disappearing) subsidies and the illusion (false) that they are contributing to the reduction of CO2 emissions. I would not recommend an investment in Tesla stock.
blatham

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:36 pm
@georgeob1,
A friend of mine used to race an Alpha at Westwood (no longer exists) and Mosport. And a cousin recently found a rare Alpha roadster in fair shape (earlier vintage than the Spider). Classic barn find he got for next to nothing. I agree with you on the GTO. My present car is a BMW Z3. It's a six cylinder and is really fun to drive. Great on the highway but best on mountain roads shaped more like Gina Lollobrigida when she was 15. Impractical but not so much as one might think. With the top down, I can carry a sheet of 4' x 8' plywood (cut to two 2' x 8') and 8 or 10 2x4s.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:41 pm
@blatham,
I envy you for your Beemer. I've driven them (and found them a joy to drive), but never owned one. I do miss the Spider.

I'm now an old man in a Lexus (but one with the big engine).
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:58 pm
Apparently there is a big dust up with Pelosi and other democrat leaders and Congresswoman Omar over an Israel tweet.

Quote:
Ilhan Omar: Congresswoman accused of 'anti-Semitic' tweet

Ilhan Omar suggested in a tweet that the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (Aipac ) was buying influence to promote US pro-Israel policies.

Republicans and Democrats alike said the tweets stoked anti-Semitic tropes about Jews and money.

The Minnesota lawmaker has previously been accused of anti-Semitism.

What's the controversy?

In response to a tweet on Sunday from a journalist questioning why US political leaders always defend Israel, Ms Omar used a slang term for $100 bills, writing: "it's all about the Benjamins baby."

When challenged where she thought such money was coming from, the 36-year-old Somali-American tweeted back: "Aipac."

Aipac spends millions of dollars a year lobbying lawmakers and the US federal government to adopt pro-Israel policies, according to campaign-finance monitors.

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47201983

I am not sure where the anti-Semitism is? Aipac does lobby lawmakers and the US federal government. Why is it anti-Semite? Is it the word "Benjamins baby?"
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 02:56 pm
@revelette1,
Omar and AOC are gifts to Republicans that appear to be continuing their giving.
oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 03:02 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Actually, if you look at the technical details of their operation, hybrids are fueled and driven almost exclusively by the gasoline powered engine. Their batteries are small (and relatively inexpensive) but you can't drive very far on them alone.
The Chevy Volt plug in hybrid can go 50 miles on the battery before switching over to gas power.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 03:08 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
There are indeed large hazards associated with nuclear power. However the probability of their occurrence is incredibly small, and modern construction features virtually eliminate most hazards in the unlikely case an extreme accident - a meltdown- occurs. This was demonstrated at Three Mile Island, and, despite numerous, unconscionable safety violations, even at Fukushima. ( 15,000 were killed by the tsunami but no one died as a result of the reactor accident.) Almost forty years after the Three Mile Island accident, there is still zero discernable impact on public health in the region.
Even though no one died so far from Fukushima, it was unfortunate that people were forced to abandon their homes. And there could well be some cancer deaths among the workers in a few years.

The prism variants of those little graphite-moderated helium-cooled reactors are essentially earthquake and meltdown proof. The graphite prisms hold all the fuel and control rods rigidly in place during the shaking of an earthquake, and the fuel will never melt down even with a total loss of coolant.

The only downside is, the TRISO pellets are nearly impossible to reprocess (by design, to prevent proliferation). I'd kind of like to see us use all the actinides as fuel instead of disposing of them as waste.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 04:25 pm
We were talking earlier about New Yorker cover art. This would be in my top 10 covers I've seen and I've seen a lot of them (many of years of subscription).
It is a perfect New Yorker cover in every way. From the first issue after the last presidential election.

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/59097b9dc14b3c606c1094a1/master/w_727,c_limit/CoverStory-Blitt-Newspaper-Revised.jpg
Brand X

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 04:46 pm
@georgeob1,
Don't forget Rashida Tlaib that made her grand entrance saying, " impeach the ************.”
georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 05:16 pm
@Brand X,
She represents the district in Michigan that my father represented for about 24 years. What a change!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 05:19 pm
@blatham,
I suspect its appeal is limited to those with the same conventional (and superficial) views as those of the New Yorker editors. This wasn't one of Ulricksen's covers - it lacks his whimsical and slightly ironic touch. Mere partisan bombast.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 05:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Mere partisan bombast.
i

And yet it also offers insight into how narrow-topic "news"papers have become.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 08:29 pm
A Twitter tweet:

How broken are Dems that they would attack a woman of color in their own party for the high crime of criticizing a lobbying group's absurd influence on our government?

The more people learn, the more they'll rightly turn against Dem leadership
glitterbag

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 09:08 pm
I once had a 1969 Corvette (yellow with black convertible top). That thing was alway in the shop....
My favorite car was my 1966 GTO (GOAT) 389 335, duel exhausts, posi-traction, 4 on the floor, sleek and fast....however it only got 9 miles to the gallon. Broke my heart to let go of that car....but with a new baby and a deadbeat husband...I couldn't afford it any longer. Bought a VW bug and finally got away from the husband.

Currently own a low milage 2009 BMW and another even lower milage 2013 Audi....my fav car to drive.
0 Replies