Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 10:38 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 10:46 pm
Pelosi did a lot of clapping
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 10:51 pm
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMBfSBwQ80XwDdXTIa_yLvBQ-k7Uf5zDYevt2V6DlALoZJtVpt
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 07:52 am
SavageJoyMarieMann🌹
@SavageJoyMarie1
¡
Feb 5
Misguided faux-outrage at Bernie, (who endorsed, rallied for, supports Abrams) for continuing his annual tradition of speaking AFTER the Dem, is not disrespecting a WOC; what is disrespecting her is creating unnec. drama, which effectively takes attention AWAY from a WOC speaking
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 09:58 am
In Democratic response, Abrams pushes for election reforms

Worth the read, in my opinion. I hope there is a place somewhere for her in the coming years. Perhaps she should run for the Senate or something.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 12:02 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Perhaps she should run for the Senate or something.

She intends to run for the Senate. Maybe she will call for the illegal vote again like she did when she ran for governor.
Quote:
Stacey Abrams: ‘Blue Wave’ Is ‘Comprised of Those Who Are Documented and Undocumented’

https://freebeacon.com/politics/dem-candidate-abrams-blue-wave-comprised-documented-undocumented/
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 03:52 pm
Any senator that voted for the anti bds bill will never get my vote, no matter what else they may do.
oralloy

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why? Antisemitism is bad. Opposition to antisemitism is good.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:07 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Why? Antisemitism is bad. Opposition to antisemitism is good.

Apparently, he is antisemitic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:25 pm
“It wasn’t sarcastic,” Pelosi said. “Look at what I was applauding. I wanted him to know that was a very welcome message.” She was kissing his ass & making sure he knew it. Ppl give her way too much credit. Her ppl's comments to BCBS prove she's a sell out, not some lefty hero.
maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Her ppl's comments to BCBS prove she's a sell out, not some lefty hero.

C'mon edgar; she just dealt his ego the most damaging blow with the government shutdown that he's probably ever had in his privileged life.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:38 pm
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Any senator that voted for the anti bds bill will never get my vote, no matter what else they may do.

Very absolutist of you.

Looks like most all of the current presidential candidates voted nay
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 07:44 pm
Yep. Uh huh.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/02/house-democrats-reaction-trumps-state-union/582181/?utm_medium=social&utm_term=2019-02-06T18%3A26%3A48&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=edit-promo&fbclid=IwAR2DNwst5xNgUGGOLhpTgGFXJGj7jNxubzqeYoILAg0-fWcVoqSVvcrMSxI
President Donald Trump’s calls for bipartisanship during his State of the Union address drew indignant scoffs from Democratic leadership and members of the party’s progressive wing. “The president failed to offer any plan, any vision at all, for our future,” said Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, referring to the speech as an “embarrassment.” Much of the news media focused on these dismissive reactions, painting a picture of a Democratic Party unwilling to hear the president. But one bloc of House Democrats is responding in a more positive fashion: the moderates the Democratic Party needs to maintain its House majority.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 10:45 pm
The look of pandering
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyvxG1gUcAAzXLJ?format=jpg&name=small
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2019 11:54 pm
blatham

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 05:21 am
@edgarblythe,
"Obama was not good for people of color"

I'd suggest that Mr. Niko House's opinion here represents the view of 5 to 10% (I doubt it would be that high) of the US black population. I'd also suggest that if he sat down with Obama in a discussion on the writing and speeches of James Baldwin that he would not come out looking well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 05:30 am
Smart piece from Josh Marshall at TPM
Quote:
...My point here isn’t to throw cold water on the whole effort or demoralize people who see Medicare for All moving to the center of the national debate. But it is a mistake to pretend it’s wildly popular or will be wildly popular in an actual political or legislative debate. Because that’s deeply misleading. It also leads to other confusions. Are Democratic leaders resisting the push for Medicare for All because they’re neo-liberal shills or corrupt weaklings? Or is it because they realize it’s much more political challenging than supporters claim. It may be a bit of each. But people are substantially understating the latter possibility.

...I’ll add the same disclaimer yet again. This isn’t an argument against Medicare for All or single payer. I’m a supporter. But no one ever helps themselves by underestimating the challenge of a fight on the way in. It’s a big challenge. There will be a lot of resistance, even from a lot of people who are supportive of the concept in broad terms. Grappling with that means coming up with counters to those obvious challenges, which makes the chances of success greater and the risk of electoral debacles lower.
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/lets-be-more-honest-about-the-politics-of-medicare-for-all
hightor

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 06:02 am
@blatham,
Excellent comments.

A massive change to 0ne sixth of the economy will require real backing from a majority of all voters. Leftist Dems can do a service by raising the issue and getting the idea out there. But 15% of the population can't force it into existence and refuse to discuss anything else. There is motivation to fix the ACA — can't we build on that and get it working right while preparing to move to a single payer system in the future?
blatham

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2019 06:26 am
@hightor,
Yeah. It's a sadness for me that so many folks are unprepared to confront the complexities of such an endeavor. Passion is a grand thing except where it is melded with unrealistic certainties.

I was recently listening to an interview with David Milch. He said that reason is about 17th on the list of human attributes and that he'd be quite content if it was ranked much lower.