georgeob1

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 05:32 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I see. They have quite a tropism towards dogs indeed and many funny covers about them from different artists.

Come to think of it, the art director of the New Yorker is ex-RAW founder (with Art Spiegelmann of Maus fame) Françoise Mouly, a girl from these parts. No wonder they have impeccable taste... ;-)

I believe Mark Ulricksen did a small show of his works in Paris about a year ago . He was surprised (and quietly delighted) by the interest.

I'll mention this to him - I think he will be pleased to learn he is known at all in Europe. He's a very pleasant and unassuming guy. Thanks for the connections.
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 06:08 am
@georgeob1,
@Olivier5

I have an anecdote for you two.

About 15 years ago, Bob Mankoff (he was cartoon editor at the New Yorker until 2017) was the featured speaker at a psychoanalytic conference my wife was attending and after his talk he was seated at my ex's table. He recounted a recent upper east side cocktail party where an older lady had approached him and expressed the following opinion:
"I think that lately the cartoons in the New Yorker have become mean of spirit"

Mankoff replied:
"**** you"
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 06:32 am
Bernie Sanders to deliver his own State of the Union response
BY CHRIS MILLS RODRIGO - 02/04/19 06:05 PM EST 277

Bernie Sanders to deliver his own State of the Union response
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) will deliver his own response to President Trump's speech to Congress on Tuesday for the third year running.

The senator's office confirmed to The Hill that his response will follow Trump's State of the Union address as well as the Democratic rebuttal and be streamed on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

Sanders has made responding to Trump's televised addresses a habit, delivering a response to the president's speech on border security last month in addition to responding to previous speeches to Congress.

Sanders, who is an independent but caucuses with Democrats, will be delivering his response after former Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams delivers the official Democratic Party response.

California Attorney General Xavier Becerra (D) will also give the Spanish-language Democratic response.

Sanders is in the process of deciding whether to pursue a 2020 presidential bid. He has consistently placed toward the top of national polls after challenging eventual Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in 2016.

If he chooses to run, Sanders will join a primary field that could see as many as 30 candidates run in 2020.

His colleagues Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) have already announced they intend to run.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 07:11 am
@georgeob1,
Where I come from, the New Yorker is often deemed the best US media ever published, and its graphic art is an important reason why.

I must admit I didn't know the name "Mark Ulricksen" but googling it up, yes I am familiar with and appreciate his work for the New Yorker. E.g.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/new-yorker-february-14th-2000-mark-ulriksen.jpg

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 09:17 am
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/trusted-trump-voters-seethe-realizing-theyre-getting-screwed-gops-tax-plan/?fbclid=IwAR1S6_zUOhU6c6CsuvWl1_IKIMpg5SzH58mTht_k7TKwTDRa3w4hjAT2QHg
blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 10:58 am
@edgarblythe,
Obviously, there are many good reasons for middle/lower class Americans to be angry at what Trump has been up to and the consequent effects on their ability to keep afloat financially. And the election in November surely reflects that to some degree.

But I have to say that I do not trust those sorts of "I used to be a _____ or "I voted for _____ but now I know better". I have seen far too many that were clearly fraudulent.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:17 am
@blatham,
Quote:
But I have to say that I do not trust those sorts of "I used to be a _____ or "I voted for _____ but now I know better". I have seen far too many that were clearly fraudulent.

You mean when Obama was reelected?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:24 am
Another slag of AOC from Fox. But this one brings in the predictable racist angle
Quote:
Fox guest: "What you have in Ocasio-Cortez are Latin American values. Instead of us assimilating them, they are assimilating us."
MM

They are different, those other people from south of the border. She's one of those others. It is precisely the same tact as Trump and Fox pushing the "birther" story or their concentration on Obama's middle name.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:28 am
@blatham,
Quote:
But this one brings in the predictable racist angle

The only thing predictable about the racist angle is that it is used to avoid real problems. Problems Democrats created with their racist policies.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:34 am
And this delights me
Quote:
Freshmen House Democrats claim coveted committee assignments, keep defying expectations
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib, Ayanna Pressley, Ilhan Omar, Katie Hill, and many more received powerful appointments.
TP

This isn't a facade. This is significant power. And it is power handed to a lot of females of color who hold a "progressive" political ideology. Tonite at the state of the union address the gender and race contrasts between the Dems and the Republicans will be very visible.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:43 am
@blatham,
Quote:
And it is power handed to a lot of females of color who hold a "progressive" political ideology.

Power handed to hate filled antisemitic women. Is that why you like it?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 12:10 pm
@blatham,
take a look at Colorado - great stuff happening there
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 12:16 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
great stuff happening there

Like this?
Quote:
Former ISIS sex slaves sheltered in Canada threatened with phone calls, texts

When you do not give a **** about your own country your input about my country means even less than it already does.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/former-isis-sex-slaves-sheltered-in-canada-threatened-with-phone-calls-texts-1.4282796
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 03:40 pm
@ehBeth,
What are you referring to?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 04:16 pm
@blatham,
Its what conservatives do. When they see a very good liberal they lie their rear end off about them for eight years through brain washing media like fox news and Rush Limbaugh. At the end of that time no matter how much good they have done all the drones remember is the b s they have heard on the NEWS MEDIA. Works like a charm on the undereducated American public.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 04:37 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Works like a charm on the undereducated American public.

Considering progressives run, and have run, our schools for a while, with a dumbing down agenda. It is no wonder, and you will still lose votes saying it. Keep it up.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 05:00 pm
@RABEL222,
Yes, I think that's exactly right.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 05:02 pm
True, but it goes beyond winning the nomination. That seems the simplest hurdle.

Quote:
Verified account
@NateSilver538
I'd be more optimistic about Sanders's chances if he understood that winning the nomination probably requires building bridges to the rest of the party.
revelette1

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 08:52 pm
@blatham,
Truer words were never spoken.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2019 09:01 pm
@blatham,
It might help if he was a Democrat.
0 Replies