Real Music

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 12:02 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Russia is using her for its own purposes.

That is also how I understood the article.
In this instance, Russia appears to be meddling and interfering in our elections by using her for their own purpose.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 12:06 pm
@Lash,
I think you just latched onto something trendy and are full of it; a new way to bash your old enemies while kind of adhering to your metamorphism.
snood

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 12:16 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I think you just latched onto something trendy and are full of it;

Trust your instincts here
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 12:32 pm
The Wealthy Are Victims of Their Own Propaganda

Quote:
A friend sent me an email the other day, complaining about the 70 percent marginal tax rate floated by Democratic Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the new wealth tax proposed by Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren.

Ocasio-Cortez first mentioned the 70 percent rate in response to a question from CNN’s Anderson Cooper about how she proposes to pay for programs like a Green New Deal that could cost trillions of dollars. Higher tax rates, she suggested, might be one part of the answer.

Then Warren released a video explaining that her “ultra-millionaire tax” could raise nearly $3 trillion over 10 years, money that she says could be used to pay for programs like universal child care, a Green New Deal and student-debt forgiveness.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my friend is wealthy enough to get hit by both.

bloomberg
Lash

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 01:42 pm
@hightor,
Some talking heads allude to / insinuate her ‘guilt’ due to Moscow’s relationship with Assad, and Tulsi’s trip to Syria to talk to him.

Jill Stein and Bernie have been on the receiving end of the same type of smears.

Lash

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 03:09 pm
I do like this.

Tulsi Gabbard
@TulsiGabbard
·
May 4
I’m honored to receive the endorsement of
@StopBigMoney
. I don’t take PAC contributions, because the only way to restore public faith in our democracy is with citizen-led, grassroots-funded campaigns. That’s why I’m running, and why I rely on your support
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 03:40 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
No, the "left" doesn't want to turn the USA into a commodity state totally dependent on one extractive industry. Anyone who's told you that this is an objective is very much mistaken. I'm surprised you fell for it.
What a disingenuous reply. Shame on you.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 03:41 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Assad, and Tulsi’s trip to Syria to talk to him.
Why would anyone go talk with a monster who is deliberately slaughtering civilians?
nimh

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 08:52 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

That elaboration has A LOT to do with a previous presidential run against a candidate who had quite a bit more policies planned out.

Huh? No, Bernie's had a solid, coherently left-wing world view for decades, and has pushed for once-impopular policies like single payer health care for a long time. Which contrasts rather sharply with politicians who have only turned left and embraced currently popular progressive policies much more recently (eg Gilibrand, Booker)
nimh

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 08:54 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

It's not Rev that's creating the dichotomy

It's not only Rev, but c'mon, this is the post I was responding to (emphasis added):

Quote:
Like I said if the new progressives want to divide and conquer based on their own made up litmus tests ... have them form their own party and leave real democrats alone.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 08:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Jill Stein and Bernie have been on the receiving end of the same type of smears.

Big difference between Bernie on the one hand and Jill Stein and Tulsi Gabbard on the other, when it comes to Russia.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:03 pm
@oralloy,
When it comes to Tulsi Gabbard, the best relevant quote there is that "she proclaims herself a peacenik, but it’s a peace where the strongman always wins".
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:14 pm
Establishment Dems are spending their Saturday madly deleting all tweets about how awesome Ralph Northam is and what a complete asshole Bernie is for not endorsing him.

Make sure to grab receipts. 😈
blatham

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:42 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
That doesn't mean I'd necessarily vote for Bernie if I were American... there are other concerns to take into account. For one, I'm sorry, but he'd be 87 by the end of a potential second term. But I do think it's fair to say he embodies an authentically left-wing perspective in a way that none of the other candidates do, though Warren comes closest.
I think that's all pretty sane. I have a lot of affection and respect for Sanders, for his values/ideas and for a long and consistent history pushing in the direction I favor. But I don't think he's a unicorn. And for reasons of age, as you note, and for other reasons, I don't believe he has the capacity to move enough of the US population to effectively change a system that is corrupt in the manner he sees and details.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:46 pm
Bernie promised things he knew he could never deliver, because he wanted to be president so bad he could taste it. Additionally, he was never a Democrat, until it became convenient in running for president.

I'll take Gabbard with all her faults and warts. I endorsed her here many, many months ago. It's past time that we had a veteran in the White House.
blatham

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:47 pm
@nimh,
Quote:
I'm not sure it's helpful to set up a dichotomy between progressive Democrats and "real Democrats".
This wins my No ****, Sherlock! award. It is a foolishness intellectually and politically. And it is the entry point for those who wish for division in the Dem community. And of course Republicans are mucking about in these waters because it is smart to do so.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:48 pm
@hightor,
What a bunch of whiners. From 1950 to 1959, the highest nominal tax rate was 91%, except for 1952 and 1953, when it was 92%.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:50 pm
@hightor,
And Russia's efforts will not be limited to her, as you know.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 09:52 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I guess McCarthmueller will have a full time job.

Explain this use of language.
maporsche

Reply Sat 2 Feb, 2019 10:01 pm
@nimh,
I was speaking to your use of the word “elaborate”.

I think you were using that word to express that Sanders policies were detailed, well documented, thought out, ready for prime time.

In fact, in the beginning they had the depth of bumper stickers.

You can’t tell me that bumper sticker slogans like Medicare for a All were all that detailed in 2015 when he announced.