maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 08:28 am
@revelette1,
I don’t know that anybody of import actually said anything bad about her dancing video.

None of the articles I saw had any examples of Republicans disparaging her.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 10:44 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
I saw a clip of her dancing, I thought, what is the big deal, she was just goofing around. Are they not allowed to be human once they get to congress?
No one objected to her dancing.

She's a fake who is making a fuss about criticism that doesn't exist.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
She's a fake who is making a fuss about criticism that doesn't exist.

"Alexandra Occasional Cortex". I did not make it up, but it works for me.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:42 pm
@maporsche,
Social media was full of it.
Quote:
Here is America's favourite commie know-it-all acting like the clueless nitwit she is," one right-wing Twitter account, @AnonymousQ1776, wrote as they shared the clip. The account, which appears to reference the bizarre QAnon conspiracy theory, has since been removed.

"After Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is forced out of office after one term she can go dance on a stage that has a pole," said another.

They seem sort of obsessed with her:

Quote:
White House counselor Kellyanne Conway mocked Rep.-elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y) during an appearance on Fox News on Tuesday, calling her a "29-year-old congresswoman who doesn't seem to know much about anything."

Quote:
...Eddie Scarry, a media reporter for The Washington Examiner, in which he posted a photo of Ocasio-Cortez walking down a hallway alongside a caption that read, "Hill staffer sent me this pic of Ocasio-Cortez they took just now. I'll tell you something: that jacket and coat don't look like a girl who struggles."

maporsche

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:01 pm
@hightor,
I do think pundents (especially Hannity) are obsessed with making this woman the face of the party (because to Republicans her proposals sound crazy)..

That dance video thing though...everyone just keeps referencing the anonymous twitter user. No prominent or even noteworthy right leaning person has spoken out about it in a disparaging way...at least not why I’ve seen. I think social media was retweeting articles about the same person.

I want to be wrong about that, I just don’t think I am right now.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 04:31 pm
Highlighting Systematic 'Violation of International Human Rights', Ocasio-Cortez Shreds Trump Address
"The president should not be asking for more money to an agency that has systematically violated human rights."

byJulia Conley, staff writer

Vehemently rejecting President Donald Trump's Tuesday evening address on immigration, in which the president was allowed by every major news network to once again portray immigrants who cross the U.S.-Mexico border as drug dealers and rapists, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) appeared on MSNBC's "The Rachel Maddow Show" to call attention to the harm Trump's xenophobic agenda has done to immigrants and communities across the country.

Saying Congress should refuse to give Trump more funding for immigration enforcement in order to end the government shutdown, now in its 18th day, Ocasio-Cortez denounced the numerous human rights violations the Trump administration has committed at the border, including the family separation policy which the president was forced to end last spring after it provoked international outcry and the treatment of families by border agents.

"The president should not be asking for more money to an agency that has systematically violated human rights," Ocasio-Cortez said. "The president should really be defending why we are funding such an agency at all, because right now what we are seeing right now is death, right now what we are seeing is the violation of human rights."

Ocasio-Cortez acknowledged that "no one should feel unsafe in the United States of America," in response the the president's focus on American victims of crimes committed by undocumented immigrants. But, she said, "that includes our amazing and beautiful and productive immigrant community."

"He talked about what happened the day after Christmas?" she said, referring to a story Trump told about an undocumented immigrant who was arrested for allegedly killing a police officer in California last month. "The day of Christmas, a child died in ICE custody."

"He's fighting against almost every way that people can actually legally enter this country forcing them to become undocumented. And then he's trying to attack their undocumented status." —Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.)"These children and these families are being held in what are called hieleras which are basically freezing boxes that no person should be maintained in for any amount of time, let alone the amount of time they are being kept on," Ocasio-Cortez added.

At least two children have died in U.S. custody in recent weeks after being held by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents, including seven-year-old Jakelin Amei Rosmery Caal Maquin and eight-year-old Felipe Gómez Alonzo.

Ocasio-Cortez also swiftly dismantled Trump's overarching narrative regarding undocumented immigrants, who he has repeatedly claimed are pouring over the U.S.-Mexico border with the intent of committing crimes, taking jobs away from American workers, and taking advantage of government benefits.

Most people with undocumented status in the U.S., she said, are undocumented because they've stayed in the country after their visas expired—not because they crossed the border without going through a designated port of entry. In addition to his aggressive and cruel moves at the border, Ocasio-Cortez noted, the president has also taken aim at the ability of immigrants to obtain legal status.

"He's trying to restrict every form of legal immigration there is in the United States," Ocasio-Cortez said. "He's fighting against family reunification, he's fighting against the diversity visa lottery, he's fighting against almost every way that people can actually legally enter this country forcing them to become undocumented. And then he's trying to attack their undocumented status."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/01/09/highlighting-systematic-violation-international-human-rights-ocasio-cortez-shreds?fbclid=IwAR2crvB0X9RUeVTUcQQGBz5aHvA0Ui7LEZXkH5G4VodhXKKN5A5CwsqqTs0
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 05:11 pm
@hightor,
Whoopi Goldberg said AOC should sit down and learn her job before shitting on people. (From memory- and you know how that can be. It’s a paraphrase.)

I can’t imagine!!!! someone like ******* Whoopi Goldberg saying that to any woman considering her history. It’s like Gloria Steinem saying women should be seen and not heard.

AOC is being attacked and more mildly criticized by Republicans and Centrists.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 05:39 pm
@Lash,
Whoopie is in my opinion, a well intentioned person, but she is probably emotionally attached to the Clinton faction in politics.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 05:57 pm
Ocasio-Cortez is young and still learning her way. I'd be more bothered if she suddenly became silent and just nodded compliantly. She is well aware that a key to learning is by taking a faltering step and being corrected and thus educated.

These are the early days of her life in Congress. No need to chop her up. If in 18 months she hasn't done well, then address the matter appropriately. For now, let the others in Congress guide her along. She's smart and I'm certain that she will learn and lead.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 06:00 pm
@Sturgis,
The great thing about the DEMS is that they welcome all variations of their credo.

The really bad thing about the DEMS is that they welcome all variations of their credo.
livinglava

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 06:38 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
I'd be more bothered if she suddenly became silent and just nodded compliantly.

She was obviously promoted to her current position to do what she is doing. It would be highly surprising if she changed her attitude suddenly, especially as a result of her own independent will to deviate from the script her party expects from her.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 07:23 pm
@farmerman,
There was irony and humor there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 07:59 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49716265_2055721851182349_2199002940356689920_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_eui2=AeGUwkiTcDlXn1yYgrfgMV4QI1i8y0sXTiJLzb-xGNsmoH6LzDDafIcQrO2IFHjYki5sv7uztJbYfFS5I0oCnKZOah95RiJ04jlgsyvTF3v1NA&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=2094772ae97bdb079e8e90712fe4bd6e&oe=5CC529A2
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 08:07 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/49815663_759976611047680_4903260975806808064_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_eui2=AeHUV8mnIfaH5iFVmFrLOqPAfOyfV_YovfDnIC2zAao9cdOnHJpRjp9BHA7AoqMJvetASkr_9T1_m4VfVnYNCMzKqaVMwXovbFd26sjBERRVVg&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-1.fna&oh=8356e86669883c953f86aa63abe15622&oe=5CBB897C
coldjoint

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 08:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
And use are own laws against us to destroy this country. Good luck when you get the shithole you want. I hope I don't see it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 08:42 pm
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Verified account

@AOC
51m51 minutes ago
More
For those out of the loop, Republicans began to circulate a fake nude photo of me. The @DailyCaller reposted it (!) and refused to indicate it was fake in the title as well.

Completely disgusting behavior from Conservative outlets.

No wonder they defended Kavanaugh so fiercely.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 09:11 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Social media was full of it.
Fake news. She's a poseur who is pretending to be under attack.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 07:43 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
She's a poseur who is pretending to be under attack.

And huh... you attacked her so that she won't have to pretend anymore?
oralloy

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 09:41 am
@Olivier5,
Calling her a fake is legitimate, since it is a truthful and fair criticism.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 10:06 am
So often it seems people don't really care about the issues as much as following the herd.
0 Replies