Black Women Send Letter to Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi in Support of Maxine Waters

roger

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 02:38 pm
@CoastalRat,
I'm not following this thread, but I will say I've been an admirer of your posts from the beginning.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:02 pm
@ehBeth,
Agreed, and I'd like to point out this wasn't entrapment. I kept trying to close the conversation down. You'd think that when someone says they believe you may be sympathetic towards those who discriminate you'd be a bit careful in what you said, but no.

0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:19 pm
Just popping in to say homophobia is never okay

yes people don't choose to be gay but being gay is great and even if they did choose then the baker's actions would still be abhorrent and a hate crime

If you're defending homophobia based on "if"s and "but"s regarding semantics on what part of homosexuality isn't okay then gross
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:25 pm
@TheSubliminalKid,
Happy Birthday. Sorry for making you read this bollocks.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Throwing people out of a restaurant for not liking them is mean BUT legal. Not baking a wedding cake for a gay couple is mean AND illegal.

Really? You'd better so inform the The Supreme Court, eh? They seem to have somehow ruled otherwise, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 03:53 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It does make me suspect that you're a bit forgiving of those who do discriminate against LGBT people, perhaps even sympathetic towards them.

I don't know about Rat, but I certainly am.
layman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:14 pm
@layman,
That cake baker didn't refuse to serve them just because they were gay, although that would have been sufficient reason in itself. As a matter of fact, he offered to sell them any other baked products they wanted. Just not a wedding cake.

Why? Cause he opposed their political views in support of gay marriage, kinda like the skank done to Sanders, ya know?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:17 pm
@roger,
I used to be. Probably a big reason I was taken aback.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes Izzy.... I am in awe of your both your White privilege and your masculinity. That is why I am threatened by you.

Another person has expressed an unacceptable viewpoint that doesn't fit in with the ideological standard you all enforce, so they much be put down. EhBeth the lady scoffs and looks down her dainty nose in disdain and you in your stereotypical English bulldog manliness rise to pummel the offender.

This is so cliched and so hypocritical.
layman

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 05:58 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is so cliched and so hypocritical.

Very astute, Max.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:24 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
They won't work against the Left. Ever see the picketers outside an abortion clinic? Most of them are over 80 years old. If the Right tries following around Democratic officeholders, after two blocks someone will have to call for an ambulance for the designated rightie confrontor.
We'll see.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:30 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
You believe wrongly. The Constitution, in Article II, Section II, Paragraph 2, says the Senate must advise and consent on the President's choice for public office. That requirement is fulfilled by talking about the nomination in the appropriate committee, a "floor vote", (a vote before the entire Senate), is not necessary. The Democrats debated all of Bush's nominees in committee, so the Constitution was satisfied. Merrick Garland's nomination was not even discussed in committee, rather Republican Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced to the whole country that NO action-not committee debate, let alone alone any further action-will take place until after the election 11 months in the future. That goes against the Constitutional requirement for the Senate to "advise and consent" on the President's nominees for public office.
Refusing to consider a nominee is just a form of rejecting that nominee.

I perceive no violation of the Constitution.
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:31 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
The cake maker and the restaurant owner were both out of line and had no right to single those people out for discrimination.
Anyone who urges harassment is partially liable for ensuing violence.
I concur with all of that.

Lash wrote:
It is indefensible to hold up the nominating process on false pretenses.
Then it was equally indefensible for the Democrats to block all those Bush Nominees in 2007-2008.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:32 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Could the democrats have been giving Bush a dose of the medicine they received when Republicans blocked Bill Clinton's nominees?
Since the score was even at that point, the Democrats would have been far better off not picking another fight.

maporsche wrote:
Seriously, you're being an idiot here.
All I'm doing is pointing out facts.

Quote:
During President Bill Clinton's first and second terms of office, he nominated 24 people for 20 federal appellate judgeships but the nominees were not processed by the Republican-controlled Senate Judiciary Committee.
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/09/01/us/waiting-for-clinton-democrats-hold-up-court-confirmations.html
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:34 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Always right and truthful my ASS.
Why do you have such a negative reaction to facts?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 06:58 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
here is what you wrote

you can't imagine how many times I re-read it, trying to find something positive in it

CoastalRat wrote:
maporsche wrote:
based on a protected class status
I get it now. You can refuse to serve someone who is not in a protected class for whatever reason you wish. But by God, refuse to serve someone in a protected class for any reason at all and the left demonizes you.

Thank God Ms. Sanders is not a lesbian. Or black. Or an Indian. Or disabled. Or a part of any other protected group, right? Cause then I'm guessing you would be condemning the restaurant owner, correct? It is only because she is not "protected" under some "special group" that she can be refused service. Thanks for clearing that up maporsche.

honestly. it gets worse with every re-read.

I don't see any problem with his post. It appears to me that he finds the Democrats' position self-serving and hypocritical.

I believe that this is the correct conclusion to draw on the matter.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:08 pm
@oralloy,
Quote maporshe:
Quote:
Could the democrats have been giving Bush a dose of the medicine they received when Republicans blocked Bill Clinton's nominees?

Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Since the score was even at that point, the Democrats would have been far better off not picking another fight.

They didn't pick a fight. The Senate is under no obligation to pass the President's nominees, but they are Constitutionally obligated to take some action on them, such as discussing them in committee. Before Merrick Garland, all presidential nominees at least got discussions in committee, despite the inaccuracies of the right wingnut source you posted.

Only the Republicans ever refused to advise and consent on the President's Supreme Court choice, arrogantly proclaiming they will wait to see if they can get a Republican president to appoint the judges. Instead, they waited for Putin's Puppet to take office before considering the nominees. UnConstitutional.
Blickers

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:15 pm
@oralloy,
Quote oralloy:
Quote:
Refusing to consider a nominee is just a form of rejecting that nominee.

I perceive no violation of the Constitution.
So you think the Founding Fathers didn't know how to write a Constitution? How have we ever survived since 1781?

Article II, ParagraphII, sentence 2: The Senate is to advise and decide whether to consent on the President's nominees. Before Merrick Garland, both parties advised on all the nominees, and consented on some, did not consent on others. All according to the Constitution. Once Merrick Garland nominee came up, the arrogant Republicans announced that they would throw the Constitution to the four winds and not even advise on the nominees. UnConstitutional.
Blickers

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2018 10:33 pm
@CoastalRat,
Quote Coastal Rat:
Quote:
in a nutshell I will simply say that the gay couple were not refused service because of the group they belong to (I guess you mean that they were gay) but because the action they wanted to undertake (getting married) was inherently disagreeable to the baker. Seems the same to me.

No, because the act the gay couple was doing was getting married, which the baker obviously does not object to, (in fact it's a big reason he's in business). The baker only objects to the marriage because two gay people are the ones getting married. Which means the gay couple's business was refused because they are gay, not because of what they are doing.

As stated previously, if Sara Huckabee-Sanders were replace by a homosexual in the Trump Administration, and the new spokesperson also helped to formulate a policy where asylum-seeking mothers were separated permanently from their children, then the baker would be justified in refusing service to the homosexual Trump spokesperson. Because he would be simply refusing service to someone because of what they did, not because of which group they belong to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2018 04:37 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:
They didn't pick a fight. The Senate is under no obligation to pass the President's nominees,
Blocking Republican nominees for no reason is picking a fight.