The US and breastfeeding.

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 08:53 am
This new is pretty upsetting. Equador put forward a resolution in the UN calling for countries to "protect, promote and support" breastfeeding. The US responded by threatening to withdraw aid from Equador.

The science is overwhelming, breastfeeding has the best health outcomes for infants. The US appears to be favoring business interests.

This is just wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 2,590 • Replies: 28

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 08:54 am
@maxdancona,
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/09/us-opposition-to-breastfeeding-reportedly-stuns-world-health-officials.html
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 08:55 am
@maxdancona,
It does seem like a very strange position to take.

I don't know what it means in reality yet though. I don't think people are going to stop breastfeeding. I don't think hospitals are going to stop recommending it.

What is the result of this?
engineer

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 09:43 am
It's also pretty over the top how the US went after Ecuador. Trade sanctions and curtailment of foreign aid over a no-brainer resolution that isn't even binding? Just another opportunity for the US to look insane and for others to step in and profit from our misdeeds.
rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 11:48 am
@maxdancona,
As corporate control of the us political system strengthens they will become more open in their manipulations.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 12:39 pm
@engineer,
It hardly rises to the level of an issue worth trade sanctions, etc. Maybe the administration is looking for any excuse to further increase our isolation.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 06:35 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

What is the result of this?

Give tRump a baby's bottle so the son a a bitch doesn't starve to death?

Razz

https://image.ibb.co/fVZVgo/s.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 07:56 pm
@maxdancona,
I think our UN AMbassador is one of the Stepford Wives
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 01:43 am
@maxdancona,
Yes. I presume Trump or his cronies have friends or financial investment in Nestle. They seem to be the company which most aggressively pushes formula feeding in the third world, to far greater detriment to infants than formula feeding is in first world countries, because many mothers in the third world do not have access to uncontaminated water, so the formula can literally kill babies.

Also, the formula costs a lot so they may not be able to afford to make it at full strength, so babies are not fed enough.

This bullying by the US will likely allow formula companies to continue to lie and push formula feeding as better than breast to third world mothers. They did this in countries like the US and Australia in the fifties, by the way. As well as making multinationals even more rich, it kills and stunts the health of many babies of poor families.

Of course, not everyone can breast feed, or feed enough by breast, for a variety of reasons and formulas are great in that situation.

Let's make America great again.

At least Nestle is beginning to have meaningful punishments imposed on it for its appalling practices, but I am sure many other companies are also profiting from this appalling behaviour.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 01:47 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It's also pretty over the top how the US went after Ecuador. Trade sanctions and curtailment of foreign aid over a no-brainer resolution that isn't even binding? Just another opportunity for the US to look insane and for others to step in and profit from our misdeeds.

Follow the money.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 02:12 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I presume Trump or his cronies have friends or financial investment in Nestle.
The milk formula industry has been struggling against stagnating sales in recent years, but is still worth $70bn annually. The small number of giants that produce it are concentrated in the US and Europe.
One of those giants, Abbott Nutrition, is part of the healthcare multinational Abbott Laboratories that contributed to Trump’s inauguration ceremonies in January 2017.

>Infos about Nestlé's shareholders, companies, connections etc<

Actually, the resolution was passed with American support but only after the Russian government reintroduced the measure.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 05:28 am
Nestle again, I take it? Didn't those b@st@rds gain enough scandal points over the California Water Bottle fiasco, as well as the Palm Oil in KitKat and their aggressive marketing of baby formula in third world countries back in the day?

Of course, if more infants die because their mothers can't afford to feed them baby formula, or due to the poor quality of said product, it means less third world 'immigrants' clamoring at the U.S. Border in a generation or so, right? Who says that Trump doesn't do any long term planning?

I am curious to hear gungasnake and coldjoint on the matter. So far, they've been silent here. Not really their style where Trump is concerned...
After all, I'm sure there is some way to make it look like this was all a vile plot by the left/Hillary/Obama, and Trump is actually the savior on the horizon...
maxdancona

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 06:59 pm
@najmelliw,
This is the US government.... and I find this particular issue far worse than the other examples you suggest. Breastfeeding is a health issue for infants... this isn't a snack food, nutrition for infants is rather more important.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 11:25 pm
@najmelliw,
Quote:
Nestle again, I take it?

Nestle is the usual suspect but they took a distance with the US administration on this, according to the NYT.

Quote:
Nestlé, the Switzerland-based food giant with significant operations in the United States, sought to distance itself from the threats against Ecuador and said the company would continue to support the international code on the marketing of breast milk substitutes, which calls on governments to regulate the inappropriate promotion of such products and to encourage breast-feeding.

I would think the Chicago-based Abbott Laboratories, Nestle's main competitor, is a more probable cause.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:36 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Abbott Laboratories contributed to Trump’s inauguration ceremonies in January 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jul/08/trump-administration-opposes-breastfeeding-resolution-report
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 12:38 am
@Olivier5,
Sorry; I see Walt already posted this.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 06:11 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The US appears to be favoring business interests.

Wow, you don't say. Nothing new there, the US has always favoured business interests. That's why 200+ carcinogenic food additives banned over here are deemed fit for American consumption, presumably because it makes them stupid enough to vote for Trump.

This sort of **** is what we've come to expect from America.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 06:17 am
@izzythepush,
I make a distinction between science and hysteria. Some of Europe's fears are not backed up by science.

In the case of breastfeeding, the science is pretty clear.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 09:27 am
@maxdancona,
You go ahead and feed your kids carcinogenic additives. I prefer relying on qualified scientists employed by the EU rather than your amateurish postulations.

Haven't you heard of erring on the side of caution?
maxdancona

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:06 am
@izzythepush,
Let's just say that I accept European superiority over the United States in culture, science and general intelligence.

Now can we get back to the topic at hand. I did not intend this to be an America-bashing thread.