Hiv through food prepared with dirty hands

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 08:21 am
Hi, i recently went to buy food from a street food stall. The stall keeper was cleaning the stall with a cloth and while i was standing he soaked the cloth in a bucket full of water (which i am worried was dirty) and cleaned it. After that he prepared my food without washing his hands. The food was served as it is i.e. not heated or warmed before serving to me. I am worried if i am risk. Please reply.Thanks.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 08:26 am
@Tbeginner,
there are much worse things than HIV that can come from food from a dirty stall

__

do not eat food from a dirty stall - just don't
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 11:06 am
@Tbeginner,
I am not a doctor, but that being said... I believe it is impossible to contract HIV through food. HIV is only spread through blood and the virus dies very quickly once it leaves the body.

Eating street food in general has risks. In my opinion... particularly when I am travelling, it is fully worrh the risk. Americans are neurotic in a way the most of the world doesn't understand.... I think Americans sometimes miss out on some of the true joys of life.

I recently had a bowl of menudo in a little roadside stand in Mexico with hand made tortillas. I have know way of knowing if they met with American standards of hygiene... but the flavor and the freshness were amazing

The sad thing is that the people too worried to experience these true joys in life miss out on amazing experiences... yet they end up dying anyway.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 11:14 am
@Tbeginner,
What was the food? Did you enjoy it?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 02:01 pm
@Tbeginner,
Quote:
After that he prepared my food without washing his hands.

Why would you even stay and eat the food after seeing his unsanitary actions?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 07:40 pm

My advice, if you ever find yourself in a place like this... don't be an idiot American. There is a world of amazing food, and lots of people eat it all the time without any ill effects.

If you are worried all the time, you restrict yourself to sanitized shell which allows a very narrow set of experiences. And you are going to die anyway.

bill91

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 11:37 pm
@Tbeginner,
Hi, HIV virus can only spread via direct blood contact or any cut on body and comes with contact of other infected person.
dirty hands , dirt water can cause you food infection or any other illness. Make sure next time that shopkeeper should not have any cut mark his hand or finger. And i would like to add on last point that always wash raw vegetable or fruits with warm water adding some little salt into water, it kills all germs and bacteria .
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Jul, 2018 11:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
And you are going to die anyway.

Yes max, that is known; however, there's no reason to intentionally speed up the process...unless that is, you are of the suicidal persuasion.

Sure, there are questionable hygienic processes going on in the food industry in many locations. The thing is, some contaminants can be avoided. Should be avoided! If I see a cook cleaning up surfaces, that's great; but, I would like to then see them wash their hands or put on a pair of clean latex or rubber gloves. Or perhaps do the cleaning while wearing the gloves, then, remove them for food preparation. If I see cleaning and then those hands go directly to the food, without stopping for a wash, I will not eat the food and will make clear to others that there is an unnecessary lurking danger.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 3 Jul, 2018 01:40 pm
@Sturgis,
I was going to say that there are better ways to kill oneself than by eating authentic street food.... but that actually isn't true. I can't think of any better way.

There are many more efficient ways to kill oneself, as evidenced by the fact that I am not dead yet.
0 Replies