Hiv from cat scratch?

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:34 am
So I was visiting a friend, that works in the sex industry. She has a kitten that is very playful and she was playing with her and got scratched. After about 5 minutes, I got scratched on my finger by the same cat. I don’t know my friend’s status, but if she is poz what are my chances of having hiv from the cat scratch? I am really extremely worried. Thank you for your time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 480 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 06:50 am
@Littlescared,
People in the sex industry are tested regularly, she is likely fine. You don't say the cat drew blood so you're likely good there. Mosquitoes do draw blood but don't transmit HIV so if you can't get it from mosquitos I doubt a cat scratch will.
Littlescared

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:04 am
@engineer,
I haven’t seen blood on the cats claws, but it could have been so little, I couldn’t see. If she drew blood and the friend has hiv and then the cat after 5 minutes, scratched me with the same claw, what will be my chances of getting hiv?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 07:12 am
@Littlescared,

that is an excellent question for your doctor...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 10:07 am
@Littlescared,
You are compounding a series of extremely unlikely events on top of each other. Your friend is unlikely to have HIV. If they did, it is likely under treatment and not very transmissible. If it was, it is unlikely the kitten broke her skin. If she did, it is unlikely a miniscule amount of blood contained enough active virus to infect you given that mosquitoes don't carry HIV. You are fine.

That said, cat scratch fever is a real thing and you can get sick from cat scratches but it has nothing to do with your friend's profession.
0 Replies