Bush a Genius Says NY Times

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:22 pm
old europe, Heck, 16,000 innocents killed for the sake of millions - just think about it. Small sacrifice, don't you think? I'm just wondering if North Korea and Africa are targets for this sociopath. If we nuke them, they'll all be out of their misery. After all, North Korea and Iran nuclear weapons with the capability to give them to other terrorists to be delivered to the US. It's to protect the American People, damn it!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:26 pm
c.i. -

Couldn't NK and Iran use the same arguments in order to attack the US?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:28 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
old europe, Heck, 16,000 innocents killed for the sake of millions - just think about it. Small sacrifice, don't you think?

This is the basic trade-off in every war, since everyone knows that innocent people always die in wars. Are you saying that the belief that a war can be morally justified is evidence of sociopathology?

cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm just wondering if North Korea and Africa are targets for this sociopath. If we nuke them, they'll all be out of their misery. After all, North Korea and Iran nuclear weapons with the capability to give them to other terrorists to be delivered to the US. It's to protect the American People, damn it!

I have never advocated this on any post since I've been here. Why must you base your argument on lying about what your opponent has said?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:28 pm
Quote:
A preventive war is a war in which one state attacks another under the proclamation of preventive self-defense. Preventive war and preemptive war differ in the certainty of an attack. While a preemptive war concerns an imminent attack, preventive war takes place with no military provocation and is therefore a war of aggression, forbidden by international law. The justification often used by states engaging in preventive war is that another state may attack them in the future - thus an attempt to prevent it

hmmm....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
I get to sociopathology from your disregard for societal standards and the rights of others.

Can you give me some examples? When and how did I show these traits?

So you are afraid to answer? You know that your argument is false, but simply don't care? It takes more than posting volume to win a debate. You have accused me of something specific in the above quote. Give some evidence, or let it be clear that you cannot.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:43 pm
old europe, Precisely; that's the reason why the US justification to attack Iraq was criminal. There was no provocation or threat; only made up intelligence fraud. It was not "prevention," and it certainly wasn't to bring democracy to the ME> that was an afterthought after no WMDs or al Qaida connection was found. Bush is a genius at changing his primary justification for something that changes into something unrecognizable at the end.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:46 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
old europe, Precisely; that's the reason why the US justification to attack Iraq was criminal. There was no provocation or threat; only made up intelligence fraud. It was not "prevention," and it certainly wasn't to bring democracy to the ME> that was an afterthought after no WMDs or al Qaida connection was found. Bush is a genius at changing his primary justification for something that changes into something unrecognizable at the end.

Why do you jump in with your jibes and accusations and then ignore every request that you back them up? Is this the behavior of an honest debater? Read back to my request that you provide evidence for what you said.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:46 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
old europe wrote:
I get to sociopathology from your disregard for societal standards and the rights of others.

Can you give me some examples? When and how did I show these traits?

So you are afraid to answer? You know that your argument is false, but simply don't care? It takes more than posting volume to win a debate. You have accused me of something specific in the above quote. Give some evidence, or let it be clear that you cannot.

<yawn>

disregard for societal standards and the rights of others

Declaration of Independence = societal standard

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Brandon's disregard:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, waging a war in which 16,000 innocent people die ... is worth it

that's why.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:48 pm
A hundred years from now, the history books will say that Bush brought democracy to the ME. The problem with that statement is that 1) we still don't know if democracy will be established in the ME, 2) that was not the primary purpose for attacking Iraq, and 3) the US might be the has-been superpower after Bush. He's spending tax dollars like he wants the US to go bankrupt. The irony is that this administration just passed a bankruptcy law that will not allow consumers to write off bad debt like in the past; they'll continue to owe what they spent. What was that song by Ernie Ford again?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:52 pm
old europe wrote:
Declaration of Independence = societal standard

Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Brandon's disregard:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, waging a war in which 16,000 innocent people die ... is worth it

that's why.

Good, now you are being specific. I do note however that you are censoring out the part of the sentence in which I say that it is worth it if it saves millions of lives. Isn't that a dishonest debating technique?

Anyway, since innocent people die in every war, your argument appears to be that no war has ever been morally justifiable. Is this, in fact, your belief? If it is not, then you cannot use the fact that I support this war knowing that some innocent lives will be lost as evidence of anything. What say you?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:55 pm
Quote:
Good, now you are being specific. I do note however that you are censoring out the part of the sentence in which I say that it is worth it if it saves millions of lives. Isn't that a dishonest debating technique?

The part that you don't get is that it doesn't matter if you keep that line in or not.

The ends don't justify the means, Brandon. Ever.

If you can't understand that, then this argument about sociopathy is getting a little scary.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:56 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Nope.

But here we go:

International law = societal standard

Quote:
A preventive war is a war in which one state attacks another under the proclamation of preventive self-defense. Preventive war and preemptive war differ in the certainty of an attack. While a preemptive war concerns an imminent attack, preventive war takes place with no military provocation and is therefore a war of aggression, forbidden by international law. The justification often used by states engaging in preventive war is that another state may attack them in the future.

Brandon's disregard:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, waging a war in which 16,000 innocent people die in order to prevent millions of innocent from dying later is worth it
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

The part that you don't get is that it doesn't matter if you keep that line in or not.

The ends don't justify the means, Brandon. Ever.

If you can't understand that, then this argument about sociopathy is getting a little scary.

Cycloptichorn

This argument you are trying to make is only meaningful if you are alleging that no war has ever been morally justifiable, since it has been known in advance that innocent people would die in pretty much every war ever fought. Do you believe that no war has ever been morally justifiable?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyway, since innocent people die in every war, your argument appears to be that no war has ever been morally justifiable.

Nope.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Is this, in fact, your belief? If it is not, then you cannot use the fact that I support this war knowing that some innocent lives will be lost as evidence of anything. What say you?

I can. See above.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:02 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Nope.

But here we go:

International law = societal standard

Quote:
A preventive war is a war in which one state attacks another under the proclamation of preventive self-defense. Preventive war and preemptive war differ in the certainty of an attack. While a preemptive war concerns an imminent attack, preventive war takes place with no military provocation and is therefore a war of aggression, forbidden by international law. The justification often used by states engaging in preventive war is that another state may attack them in the future.

Brandon's disregard:

Brandon9000 wrote:
In my opinion, waging a war in which 16,000 innocent people die in order to prevent millions of innocent from dying later is worth it

I have asked this over and over again, and you appear to be afraid to answer it. Do you believe that no war has ever been morally justifiable? It has always been known in advance of every war in history that the innocent would absolutely die. If you wish to conclude something from me thinking it's worth it, then you must conclude the same thing about others who believe as I do. Answer the question.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:04 pm
It's not just meaningful in war, it's meaningful in all aspects of life.

The means of an action must stand on their own merit, despite the ends of that action, or that action cannot be said to be categorically just.

Your question about whether war is morally justifiable or not is meaningless. You can always find reasons to justify your actions. But that doesn't make the actions themselves any different. This is the crucial part.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:05 pm
old europe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyway, since innocent people die in every war, your argument appears to be that no war has ever been morally justifiable.

Nope.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Is this, in fact, your belief? If it is not, then you cannot use the fact that I support this war knowing that some innocent lives will be lost as evidence of anything. What say you?

I can. See above.

You are clearly alleging that because I think some innocent deaths are worth it, this proves sociopathology. But every war in history has been entered into on that basis, so if you draw the conclusion about me, then you must believe it about anyone who has ever thought a war justified. You argument is pretty much nonsense.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:07 pm
Quote, "Why do you jump in with your jibes and accusations and then ignore every request that you back them up? Is this the behavior of an honest debater? Read back to my request that you provide evidence for what you said." *** They are backed up from 1) what this administration has admitted that there are no WMDs and no connection to al Qaida after one year in Iraq, 2) our preemptive attack on a sovereign nation was illegal under international laws, 3) our break with the Geneva Convention in more ways than one, and 4) an occupied country is not a sovereign country nor a democracy.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It's not just meaningful in war, it's meaningful in all aspects of life.

The means of an action must stand on their own merit, despite the ends of that action, or that action cannot be said to be categorically just.

Your question about whether war is morally justifiable or not is meaningless. You can always find reasons to justify your actions. But that doesn't make the actions themselves any different. This is the crucial part.

Cycloptichorn

You are alleging that my belief that this war is justified despite some innocent loss of life indicates sociopathology.

Therefore, you must draw the same conclusion about other people who believe the same thing. If your arguments are not internally consistent, then they cannot be taken seriously.

Since it is known in advance of every war that innocent people will absolutely die, you must allege the same thing about everyone who has ever considered a war to be justified, which is probably most people.

You on the other hand have demonstrated absolute boredom at the idea that this woman in Florida may value her existence, and regardless of what you say now, you cooperated with the poster who said that the Holocaust was a Jewish scam. These things actually are indicative of sociopathology. The mere fact that I believe a war may be justified is not.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:17 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote, "Why do you jump in with your jibes and accusations and then ignore every request that you back them up? Is this the behavior of an honest debater? Read back to my request that you provide evidence for what you said." *** They are backed up from 1) what this administration has admitted that there are no WMDs and no connection to al Qaida after one year in Iraq, 2) our preemptive attack on a sovereign nation was illegal under international laws, 3) our break with the Geneva Convention in more ways than one, and 4) an occupied country is not a sovereign country nor a democracy.

No, I mean this one:

Brandon9000 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
old europe, Heck, 16,000 innocents killed for the sake of millions - just think about it. Small sacrifice, don't you think?

This is the basic trade-off in every war, since everyone knows that innocent people always die in wars. Are you saying that the belief that a war can be morally justified is evidence of sociopathology?

cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm just wondering if North Korea and Africa are targets for this sociopath. If we nuke them, they'll all be out of their misery. After all, North Korea and Iran nuclear weapons with the capability to give them to other terrorists to be delivered to the US. It's to protect the American People, damn it!

I have never advocated this on any post since I've been here. Why must you base your argument on lying about what your opponent has said?
0 Replies