childfree living

eoe

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:31 pm
One thing's for certain. If you aren't absolutely sure that you want a child, please don't have one. Don't have a kid for your spouse or for your parents. There are enough unwanted children in the world.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:42 am
child -free and would only want a child under the right circumstances, most of all; a stable committed marriage..
As said previously, there are enough un-wanted children ( I have eight siblings and we had some 15 foster kids in and out of our house hold growing up).
I think that people capable of raising intelligent functioning individuals should have kids; and the morons should stop. The world is getting far too over-populated.
I think that child-free people are kind of Darwinian in a way; a reality check so the human raise doesn't "kill the host " (earth) like a virus
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 11:23 am
hi colorific. I definitely agree with both you and eoe. There are plenty of unwanted and mistreated children because people procreate for the "wrong" reasons.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:51 pm
Hi Midnight;
I agree; I just saw a piece on the news about a social worker and some of her cases; it is so heartbreaking; I had tears..there was this vacant eyed 11 year old boy; an orphan abandoned by God -knows what for parents. All he wants " is a home where my family won't run away from me"
If ever in a responsible enough position; I would take in a kid like that...a person could make such a differnce
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 05:54 pm
Was childfree until 8 years ago I meet this wonderful person that I am still deeply in love with. Have a 17, 15 and 12 year old that are running me into the ground. Have been thinking about telling her I may just leave until about 7-8 years from now and suddenly return.

Oh, I love her so!!!!!!!!!1
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2003 09:42 pm
Steps, huh?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:14 am
I want children but am physically incapable of going it alone.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 12:43 am
I would like children too, and am a little unhappy that I haven't had any, yet. Not that I have an unstoppable need to go out there and populate.
0 Replies

midnight

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:15 am
I think for a large majority that the "must have children" idea is a myth . . . does anybody else agree. . . . "must have sex" yes but actually procreate? ? ? ?
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2003 08:44 am
Yes Midnight;
I would dare to agree, and I have watched for signs of this in every couple I meet; I will say at this point I have met fewer couples who have children for more responsible and realistic reasons who are aware of the condition of our planet, than those who for a range of impulsive or blind faith /ignorant purposes procreate.
I am encouraged by stable educated folks who have one or two, to carry on some level of sanity for the species. It's these people who will no doubt be working to solve the problems over-population is creating.

And I recognize that this topic leads into the ugly area of socio-economic inequalities; blah-politics; civil-liberites.
I also see, as we are on the brink of war, what governments possibly see as one historic attribute (cause -effect here? I'm not sure myself) for a "positive" argument for masses of indivdulas fighting one another.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 08:38 pm
bump
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 05:43 am
Thought it'd be interesting to read your post from 4 years ago and see if you've changed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 07:31 am
My thinking seems to be the same (though I didn't post that much).

Or were you addressing Midnight?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:34 am
Midnight, et al.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 08:54 am
Still waiting for grandbabies. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 09:37 am
I don't want kids. Too selfish. I really think a kid would make me miserable.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:18 am
Your candor is refreshing Slappy.

Looking at the list of choices, I was at first going to pick "just childless", but then, I thought, "Wait a minute. Just childless would indicate, to me at least, that I just happen to not have a kid right now, but I could just as soon have one"

Nuh uh, not me.

On the whole, I really had to pick "Don't like them/Don't deal with them well"

Don't like them part is perhaps a bit too strong, for me it's more like "Unaware of them"

The "don't deal with them well" would be when I am made aware of them, and it gets in the way of what I'm trying to do, i.e. have an enjoyable, peaceful meal in a restaurant.

Strangely enough, my neighbors kid and I are good friends. She going to be 4.

However, it has nothing to do with the fact she's a kid, we just always happened to like each other as people.

When she's in my house, or I'm in hers, I don't adjust my communication and "dumb" it down, or use baby words. There's things we don't discuss, since she hasn't got the thought process for certain things yet, but I don't see that as much different from talking to someone who maybe has a area in which they are "slow"...The difference being her slowness is temporary.

For some reason, the 2 of us just clicked as friends early on. I certainly didn't go out of my way because she's a child. I have other neighbors with kids her age that I'm friendly with adults, but if given a choice, would rather interact with them without the kids around.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:04 am
Chai wrote:
Looking at the list of choices, I was at first going to pick "just childless", but then, I thought, "Wait a minute. Just childless would indicate, to me at least, that I just happen to not have a kid right now, but I could just as soon have one"

I experienced similar indecision, because apparently nobody on this site has a clue how to properly construct poll questions.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:18 am
Yeah well, that "midnight" person who started this hasn't posted since 2003, but I suppose we could still find him/her and tazer them for there ignorance.

They are from Lubbock, so I'm sure they were doing the best they could.

You know, I've never understood people who are on the fence about having kids.

Oh, maybe I could see someoneone wanting them, but being indecisive because they have a disease they could pass on, or think the world is overcrowded or whatever....

But, to say they "aren't sure" yet?

WTF?

To me, it's a simple Slobber/Snot/Screaming Test.

Question #1

Can you see yourself not loosing your mind having some squirmmy, slobbering, snotting, screaming human doing all of the above in your presence (and on you) for years on end?

That's the entire test.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:27 am
I think a lot of people get in relationships, marry, and/or have kids because they think these things will suddenly make life so much better. And as far as "not sure" on kids, I bet a lot of people also are afraid to say they don't want children, because it will weed out a lot of potential mates.
0 Replies