Immigration - Discussing Non-Partisan Solutions

fishin

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 03:39 pm
ehBeth wrote:
This piece

Quote:
New provisions stipulated that Danish citizens could not bring a foreign spouse into the country unless both partners were aged 24 or over, passed a solvency test showing the Dane had not claimed social security for 12 months and had to lodge a bond of 53,000 kroner ($9,300).

is quite similar to the Canadian provision on spousal sponsoring.

If I married Setanta today, I could move to the U.S. and start working immediately. Or, I could sponsor him here - complete a 60+ page application, promise to reimburse the government for any medical costs he might incur over the next 10 years, pay about $10,000 for the forms/processing, and hope that he gets enough points on the evaluation chart to be allowed in to move here and apply for permanent residency.

Seems to me, quite a bit of the U.S. scheme needs looking at.

Your Canadian process isn't to different than the US process. If you married Set you'd still need a green card to start working here and you'd also have to complete other forms including an I-130 (for permanent residency) and he'd have to complete an I-864 (Affidavit of Support) which is similar to the Canadian and Danish support requirements.
0 Replies