RIP Barbara Bush, 92...

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:14 am
Quote:
Barbara Bush, Wife of 41 and Mother of 43, Dies at 92

Barbara Bush, the widely admired wife of one president and the fiercely loyal mother of
another, died Tuesday evening at her home in Houston. She was 92.

Jim McGrath, a family spokesman, announced the death in a statement posted to Twitter.

On Sunday, the office of her husband, former President George Bush, issued a statement
saying that after consulting her family and her doctors, Mrs. Bush had “decided not to seek
additional medical treatment and will instead focus on comfort care.”

The Bushes had celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary in January, making them the
longest-married couple in presidential history.

Mrs. Bush had been hospitalized with pneumonia in December 2013. She underwent surgery
for a perforated ulcer in 2008 and had heart surgery four months later.

As the wife of the 41st president and the mother of the 43rd, George W. Bush, Mrs. Bush
was only the second woman in American history to have a son of hers follow his father to
the White House. (Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams,
was the first.)
(NYT)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,828 • Replies: 4

glitterbag

Reply Mon 7 May, 2018 09:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
She was a grand old gal, and she will be well remembered.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 09:02 am

George H.W. Bush, combat veteran and devoted husband, dies at age 94 ...
revelette1

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 09:31 am
@Region Philbis,
I liked him even when he was president. I liked the "Points of light."

Inside the 'storybook' marriage of Barbara and George HW Bush — who have been married longer than any first couple, and still say 'I love you' every night
Lash

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2018 09:55 am
@revelette1,
‘Points of light’ referred to giving hand outs to poor people who would remain indebted to the charity of wealthy Americans—rather than enforcing laws to bring social equality which brings economic equality.

It seemed goofy and patriarchal.

I remember him taking a hit in the media for having no clue about the cost of a gallon of milk. The Bushes were always so removed from the reality of average Americans.

Some people who don’t have a clue about the meaning of ‘thousand points of light’ are trying to lionize Bush with the quote across twitter. Basically, ‘let them eat our cake crumbs instead of sit at our table.’

He probably meant well, but his perspective is clear.
0 Replies