Inhabitants of Towns

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:00 pm
Inhabitants of some towns are called sometimes different to 'normal use' of the (English) grammar and language.

For instance Liverpudlians live in Liverpool*, in Birmingham Brummies, Mancunians live in Manchester and Glaswegians in Glasgow.

*They are called 'Scousers' as well, especially by their friends from 'Moan'.

Do you some really strange, funny, peculiar names, both nicknames as 'regulars'.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,575 • Replies: 40
No top replies

midnight

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:12 pm
I jokingly call the people of lubbock, lubbockians. But I think the proper term is lubbockites. Either one sounds a bit strange. I'm a houstonian which sounds a bit more comfortable on the tongue but not much.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 04:25 pm
I grew up in a town called Centerport and my family used to call ourselves Centerportians which sounds like the middle cut of a roast or piece of cake. I think the real name is Centerporters.

Aren't people from Oxford called Oxonians, or is that just the university?

I currently live in Brighton but I don't know if we're Brightonites or Brightonians. The folks nearby are Allstonites, and the ones in Cambridge are (ahem!) Cantabragians. I guess I'm just a Bostonian. :-D
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 05:18 pm
Not only have I been called a Bostonian, which I take fairly well considering the tone...but, also a Masshole...which is amusing the first time, after that however..I fail to see how I actually fit in that catagory..they must come up with a new one for that. And I simply cannot pass along what girls from Connecticut are occassionally called, its too bad for my filthy mouth even. I believe in actuality though Im a Quinzee-ite or some such nonsence.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:22 pm
People from Tampa Florida are Tampons, jokingly of course.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 08:26 pm
The Kennedys are High Anuses <Hyannis>

some of us already knew that though
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:16 am
LOL Quinn. Since I origionally from the Boston area, I have also been called a Bostonian and a Masshole. It has also been said that I lived in Taxachusetts.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 07:51 am
Thanks God no one lives in Sodom now...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 08:13 am
It is said that Idi Amin wanted his people to be named after him, but he stopped that after he heard that the people of Cyprus were called, Cypriotes.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Feb, 2003 09:01 am
Anybody know why people from Michigan are called Michiganders, instead if Michiganers? Laughing
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 02:27 am
Don't know Phoenix - are Albany, New York residents Albanians? Are Bryn Mawr students Mawrters?

My favorite is Naples - ->> Neopolitan.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 06:28 am
Larry what about Inside the Beltway = Metro Washington D.C.. how would you call a resident of that area of the US?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 07:33 am
Neopolitan is very easy to explain: Italian "Napoli", ancient (Latin) "Neapolis" ("New Town")city.

(The town's name in German is 'Neapel', people are called 'Neapolitaner'.)
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 09:19 am
Residents of Buenos Aires are called "porteños (portenos)." Those of São Paulo (Sao Paulo) are "paulistanos."
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:02 am
Tasty towners come from Hamburg....
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:41 am
Oddly enough, Cariocas are not from Caracas, but from Rio de Janeiro, I believe.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 12:00 pm
Are the residents of Phoenix, Arizona called Phoenicians?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:00 pm
joanne - I'm not sure what we should call them - I don't recall any name for people who actually grew up and live in D.C. There are lots of nice names for the politicians who set up there temporarily, but can't remember any for the residents.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:02 pm
Probably Columbians, Larry.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 05:04 pm
Destructed Columbians?
0 Replies