Inhabitants of Towns

hamburger

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:20 pm
hi bigdice: tasty towners live in HAMBOACH and call themselves HAMBORGER; however they greet each other with HUMMEL HUMMEL and the reply (codeword) is MORS-MORS ! it's also known as their battle cry! even after some 46 years in canada this greeting still brings TEARS to the eyes of every true HAMBORGER. hbg
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 02:58 pm
hamburger - can you explain HUMMEL HUMMEL and MORS-MORS? Just curious...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:24 pm
Well, there is a saying that the town soldier Daniel Christian Hummel is the origin for this. This man was very famous for his reports from the napoleonic wars. Street kids were greeting him with the shout "Hummel, Hummel!".
Johann Wilhelm Bentz (1787 - 1854), a water bearer, got Hummel's accomodation after his death at "Große Drehbahn No. 36" (hamburger will know, where this is situated).
Bentz was a very embittered person. Every time, the kids shouted at him "Hummel, Hummel" (which they did, because obviouly he 'inherited' that shout), he answered with the ribals words "Mors, mors", which is short for the Low German "Klei di an 'n Mors".
(This can't be translated here - in one of Goethe's works, the nobleman Götz von Berlichingen said "Kiss my ..." . That's the meaning for 'Mors' as well.)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:26 pm
Thanks for the excellent explanation, Walter!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 10:06 pm
thanks for taking my place, walter. ebeth has a postcard with a picture of hummel (including a little cutout "at the back" for display purposes); i suggested she look for it and put it on public display! maybe we can even find him under google or a german search machine. just came back from a great jazzconcert; i'm still swinging and grooving! good night ya cats! hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 09:26 am
my search for a visual representation of hummel hummel mors mors continues ...

and the license plates for residents of hamburg-harburg? as i recall, they start with HH - which of course forces the mors mors response

hmmmmmm, the german sense of humour is, well, distinctive :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 12:58 pm
HH is the license plate for the 'Hansestadt Hamburg'. (The [historic!] 'Kreis Harburg' [Harburg county] is not situated in the Land [state] Hamburg, but in Lower Saxony and has the license plate WL [for Winsen at Luhe].
http://www.lkharburg.de/Portal/index.cfm/function/reload/reload/1/URLID/84.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 01:10 pm
North-East of the "Großneumarkt", where the "Breite Gang" leads to the "Rademachergang", in 1938 the 'Association of born Hamburger' errected a memorial in form of a well "Hummeldenkmal" (sculptor: R. Kuöhl)
http://members.aon.at/sassmann/hamburg/hamburg_bilder/hummel_denkmal.jpg[/IMG]
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:06 pm
Willkommen in Hamburg-Harburghttp://www.wilhelmsburg.de/pics/bilder/aufderhohe3_small.jpg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2003 06:16 pm
walter: re. hamburg-harburg. in the good old days a new student enrolled at the uni hamburg. professor: where are you from? student: i'm from hamburg-harburg, herr professor. prof: oh, i see; why don't you sit next to herr baierlein; he's from southern germany too! .... oh, what a crime to have been born on the wrong side of the elbe river .......
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 08:55 am
Phoenix, I used to wonder whether people from Michigan were called Michiganers also. Then I learned about Michiganders. I doubt the reason for this has anything to do with the fact that Michinganer sounds a lot like meshugina.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 11:03 am
There's a Mexican Estado called Michoacan. It sounds like Michigan. I wonder if they are Michoaganderos.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:54 pm
have been living for the last 46 years in kingston, ontario. it's known as the LIMESTONE CAPITAL of canada. anyone born here will be found to have a (limestone)CHIP ON THEIR SHOULDER. it's famous for queen's university, fort henry and canada's only(royal)military college - it's just as (in)famous for having the most federal penitentiaries in canada - FIVE at last count(including KINGSTON PEN - a dungeon of a place dating back to about 1850 and it's located right in the centre of the city). until just a couple of years ago it also had the only canadian pen for female prisoners, the infamous(now closed) P4W) . other than that it's a fairly pleasant city right on lake ontario(just don't ask why we settled here; we don't want our friends in germany to know!). hbg
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:00 pm
roberta and all.
There is another option for Michigan - Michiganians.

When I travel to England, I'm amazed at the pronunciation of some city names and other words.

Worchestershire, easy to pronounce. It's woostersure

Liechester is Lester.

Any additions?

W
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 12:24 pm
I'm originally from Los Angeles, but I am not presently residing there, so I am an ex-Angeleno. Now I live in Eureka, but no one calls anyone from Eureka anything...to my knowledge. Some shorten the name to Eka, so perhaps I'm an Ekan, gads, how ugly that is in terms of musicality? 'E' in this case is pronounced like 'i' is in latin-based languages. Well, at heart I am still an Angeleno.

Indeed I am an Angelena, but I have never heard the female ending used by people speaking english at the time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 12:35 pm
there is a small community in Colorado (a village really) with the moniker "No Name" any suggestions for what to call the inhabitants?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 12:45 pm
All this reminds me that I recently drove through Nice, California, which is not pronounced in the same way as Nice, France, but as the adjective 'nice' is.

In this small town there was a Nice Market, a Nice Bakery, etc. Cute the first time.

Hmm. Nicers? Nicoise? Nice folks?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 12:54 pm
And then there's Great Neck, New York, whose inhabitants like to call themselves Great Neckers.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 02:49 pm
<giggles>

this thread's funny.

i was thinking about dutch equivalents, but couldnt come up with much. Rotterdam is also called Rotjeknor, which sounds really silly. People from The Hague (in Dutch: Den Haag) are unique in that there are two names for people from there. And they apply very specifically.

Hagenaars are the people who live 'on the sand', i.e. in the wealthier neighbourhoods and the government quarter in the higher part of town, near to the dunes. Hagenezen are the people 'from the peat', who live in the poorer, lower-lying neighbourhoods.

This distinction is especially significant because both Hagenaars and Hagenezen have a reputation to uphold in the rest of the country. Hagenaars are the most bourgeois, law-abiding city folk in the country. Hagenezen are the biggest grousers (the word for "grousing" being, literally, "cancer-ing", and "cancer" being the exclamation of choice among Hagenezen) of the country, and their footballclub FC Den Haag introduced soccer vandalism to the Netherlands. (Though on both counts Rotterdammers might dispute). Both about the 'Den Háág' of the Hagenaars and the 'De Hàg' of the Hagenezen popular songs exist.

In principle, never the twain shall meet. I'm a bit of an exception, though. My mothers family is all Hagenees, but my mother did get to afford to move to an adjoining suburb, where I grew up; and I was rescued from there by montessori high school - in the Hagenaars' part of town.

My mothers' family is all a bit off, but since one after another started dying (my mother first), I have come to feel/realise a distinct loyalty/attachment to the De Hàg of the Hagenezen. I love my greataunts' crude but brilliant humor, fulll of one-liner put-downs. I appreciate their straightforwardness, when elsewhere you are surrounded by the conformist veneer of middle-class job-jargon civility. Well, I could write more, but I'm off-topic now. (There should be an old Abuzz thread somewhere ...)

People from the southern province of Limburg are called Limbo's (not complementary) and those from Brabant Brabo's. I now live in Utrecht, but I don't think it has any nicknames, except that the natives like to call it Utreg (or Utrèg).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 03:20 pm
OK, This is waa-ay off-topic, but I found that Abuzz post, so I'm a just gonna store it here again. Take it as my ode to The Hague ;-).

(To explain the nature if this post: it's from a thread called "Silent March for Mourning", that artunbound started. That was a very, very beautiful thread, full of moving stories. It's at http://boston.abuzz.com/interaction/s.184211/discussion ).

Quote:
no-itsme, habibi Quick stats
Added on Mon, Apr 9, 2001 10:43 AM

I here want to commemorate my grandfather, who died one and a half year ago. He was a quiet man - almost absent in the corner of the room while my grandmother talked and poured coffee - he collected stamps, coins, later phonecards. I think the aquarium was his, too. He liked the garden - my grandparents finally got a house with a small garden, after retirement. He liked the women, and was often unsubtle in admiring my mother's young, "exotic" colleagues, for example - causing embarassment to her, but not much annoyance to them - it was sweet, in a way, it was him. He was a construction worker, I think - his working days are before my memory starts, and my family was never much into recounting the past. He was kind, in a clumsy way sometimes, perhaps, but I've never seen him angry or even grouchy. We weren't close, but he was my grandfather, and, now that he's gone, a - symbol of what my mother's family was about.

My uncle died last year. He was a man of personality - characteristic, his own man, unaffected by the way growing prosperity seems to spread blandness of character throughout society. When we were kids, my mother's family was one of opposites, political and personal differences being hotly debated over endless cigarettes and crude jokes as coffee made way for beer midway though the afternoons, on family birthdays that were celebrated inside, as we sat on large couches and fold-up chairs. In those times, the seventies I guess, he was "the other side" - my mother resented his views and the way they raised their kids, and we resented how he'd pinch our cheeks to make unfunny jokes. Ten years on, and we all grew to see him for what he was, too - a wise man, true to himself but very much able to learn - a man of grim wit and sarcastic retorts that were always, underneath, touching expressions of affinity - a charming man, too, chain- smoking but lean and fit, always fair and honest, and, in a wholly unsentimental way more loving and in love than any other married man I've known.

He was a supermarket branch manager, as he had been in the seventies - a status that had once meant jumping out of his background, into that shopkeeper class of the working-class district's elite - but as those who started below him made their way up through the chatter of communication courses and management classes of the nineties he staid simply what he was: proudly keeping the shop running, hard-working, loved, in an awed way, by the many people who worked for him, and always in for a practical joke. He was my favorite uncle by the time he fell ill - so very suddenly such a drastic change - he had only given in to noticing he was ill by the time cancer had spread far too much to be stopped in any way - a month later, and he was paralyzed from the waist down. He took the time to accept the end, to say goodbye to his wife, and to, one more time, recall his life and the good times - and then asked to take his leave. No passive awaiting death for him.

no-itsme, habibi Quick stats
Added on Mon, Apr 9, 2001 10:46 AM

Finally, here, I want to remember my mother, who'd died four years before. She was only fiftyone when she died, and in many ways at the pinnacle of her life - I want to remember, here, not what she was to me, but who she was, in life. She'd succeeded in, as she joked, "privatizing" the - idealistic - work she used to do at the ministry, getting a new organisation up and running and bringing together a lively group of cheerful, dedicated women. In her spare time, she studied, to get the degree she was not allowed to get way back when (no money) - and she finished university, part-time, in six years.. She travelled a lot, to all continents, and always went out of her way to make contact, and to find out what was going on. She was travelling, in Yemen, when she died. It was way too early - things looked more promising than ever - and yet one could say that moment embodied the moment of fulfillment as well. She was the individual explorer, observer, more than the jovial chap, but she was truly loved. I love her, and miss her, both as my mother, my home, my childhood, and as who she was outside, lonely sometimes but always elated about the new things she continually discovered in life.

Among the three of them, they took a whole era with them, the world of my mother's childhood, the era of my youth, too - society changed now, and my remaining family with it, adapting and conforming, to cityscapes in which it can no longer be found back. It leaves me feeling rootless, as if "home" is something only remembered - things may have changed for the better but sometimes I can not find my way here anymore, it seems. Thinking of them, looking back, I acknowledge, without giving up myself - their efforts were great, and needed to be - and in terms of energy, determination, and readiness to love and work to love, I can not compete.
0 Replies