Quote:
Stop deceiving people

Good luck with that.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:24 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
I have not found any resource or information that is specifically making either of these claims.

http://www.blackpressusa.com/opinion-gun-safety-is-about-freedom/
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:25 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Here is a quote from the very beginning of this thread that sums up the reason I am singling out the NRA:

"While the NRA portrays itself as protecting the 'freedom' of individual gun owners, it's actually working to protect the freedom of the gun industry to manufacture and sell virtually any weapon or accessory."

The right to have the gun includes the right to have the gun manufactured and available for purchase.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:26 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
If the NRA were to be more upfront and honest, I would be less critical.

The NRA is completely honest.

Real Music wrote:
The NRA is being deceptive when they claim that they are fighting to protect the freedom of individual gun owners.

No deception. That is exactly what they are doing.

And that's exactly why the liberals are so upset. The liberals want to violate people's civil rights for fun, and the NRA won't let them do that.

Real Music wrote:
The real truth is the NRA is fighting to protect the freedom of the gun industry to manufacture and sell virtually any weapon or accessory.

The right to have the gun includes the right to have the gun manufactured and available for purchase.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:27 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
The problem I have is the NRA continuing to make deceptive claims that they are fighting to protect the freedom of individual gun owners.

Nothing even remotely deceptive about that.

It's why the liberals hate the NRA so much. The liberals want to violate our civil rights for fun, and the NRA protects those rights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:28 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Americans overwhelmingly support background checks. Surveys show that 93 percent of Americans—including 83 percent of gun owners and 72 percent of NRA members—support criminal background checks for all gun sales.

But under pressure from the gun lobby, Congress and most states have failed to close the deadly loopholes in the background check system.

There is a very good reason why the Clinton era Democrats did not include private sales when they created the background check system.

If anyone could call in a background check on anyone else, it would be a massive invasion into the privacy of all Americans.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:43 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:
I believe Coldjoint's point regarding Planned Parenthood funding is that the NRA's money is normal for a Washington lobby and is not worthy of being singled out as something out of the ordinary.

I have absolutely no fear about debating Planned Parenthood. I just might start a new thread on the topic of Planned Parenthood. The problem is once you start going off topic there will be no end to going off topic. The subject matter or topic of the thread will no longer be recognizable. I just prefer staying on topic. Here is a quote from the very beginning of this thread that sums up the reason I am singling out the NRA:

"While the NRA portrays itself as protecting the 'freedom' of individual gun owners, it's actually working to protect the freedom of the gun industry to manufacture and sell virtually any weapon or accessory."

I welcome anyone to join in the discussion. I have no problem with anyone who wishes to post disagreements or different opinions. This is an open forum for open discussions. All opinions are welcome.

I agree that abortions are a very minuscule part of the role planned parenthood plays in communities. Especially poor ones where mothers cannot afford a gynecologist and neo-natal physicians and obstetricians.

The NRA is the largest and most likely only real training organization that teaches both youths and adults in proper fire arm care and use. Without the NRA, there will be no one that does that and then people will not be getting the proper training they need to properly handle firearms. The NRA also sponsors many community events that bring people in from all walks of life. Famous saying: “Abe Lincoln may have freed all men, but Sam Colt made them equal.” On the firing line, rich, poor, or otherwise, the bullet flies the straightest for the one that has trained the hardest.
coldjoint

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 10:51 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I agree that abortions are a very minuscule part of the role planned parenthood plays in communities

Why are the vast majority of PP offices in poor neighborhoods? Are you saying a place to abort a baby for free is good for the community? I know it is not the topic, but I had to say something.
oralloy

Mon 26 Mar, 2018 11:02 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Based on historical evidence one can say that the Gun industry and the NRA have much more concern about making money more than the concerns about the second amendment.

That is incorrect. History shows that the NRA is not concerned about making money at all.

Real Music wrote:
Stop deceiving people with the false argument of protecting the rights of gun owners and the second amendment.

If the NRA was not protecting the Second Amendment, the liberals would not be complaining over the NRA preventing them from violating our civil rights for fun.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 12:06 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Why are the vast majority of PP offices in poor neighborhoods? Are you saying a place to abort a baby for free is good for the community? I know it is not the topic, but I had to say something.

Because rich people don't use PP?
coldjoint

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 09:20 am
@McGentrix,

Quote:

Sure looks that way, doesn't it?
McGentrix

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 01:16 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:

Sure looks that way, doesn't it?

um, yes? Not sure what your implication is here.
coldjoint

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 01:25 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
um, yes? Not sure what your implication is here.

Yes.
0 Replies

Real Music

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 07:22 pm
Why The NRA Is Even Terrible For Gun-Owners.
Cracked Explains The National Rifle Association.

oralloy

Tue 27 Mar, 2018 10:48 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Why The NRA Is Even Terrible For Gun-Owners.

Yes. Nothing is quite so horrible as having someone valiantly defend our civil rights.

Real Music wrote:
Cracked Explains The National Rifle Association

Cracked does nothing but lie.
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 28 Mar, 2018 08:37 am
Who Does the NRA Represent?

Quote:
At a recent social gathering, I was approached by a gentleman who had heard I had written a book about the gun control issue. “I am a gun owner,” he began. I braced myself for the usual lecture on the sacrosanct Second Amendment and the futility of gun regulation. What he said next, however, left me surprised and relieved. “I can’t stand the NRA,” he continued. “I quit them years ago. They are so extreme.”

My initial assumption, that a gun owner would simply parrot the NRA line, likely reflects the thinking of many politicians on the gun issue. They simplistically fear that any vote to impose new gun regulations will be seen as an attack on their gun-owning constituents. I should have known better. Opinion surveys have long shown broad gun owner support for a range of stronger gun laws.

But a new survey, by Republican pollster Frank Luntz and commissioned by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a coalition of over 400 mayors, even more dramatically contradicts the conventional political wisdom on the gun issue. Not only does the NRA not represent the views of gun owners on major issues of gun policy; it doesn’t even represent the views of its own membership.

For example, the Luntz survey found that 69% of self-described NRA members agree that all gun sellers at gun shows should be required to conduct criminal background checks on prospective buyers, a reform that would close the infamous “gun show loophole”. Luntz found that 82% of NRA members support “prohibiting persons on the terrorist watch lists from purchasing guns.” Seventy-eight percent of NRA members support “requiring gun owners to alert police if their guns are lost or stolen.” All of these measures are vehemently opposed by the NRA.

The Luntz poll struck a raw nerve at NRA headquarters, which immediately issued an ad hominem attack on Frank Luntz. The gun lobby’s problem, of course, is that no one can credibly accuse Luntz of bias in favor of progressive positions, given his outsized reputation for putting Democrats on the defensive through his effective messaging for Republicans. Moreover, Luntz found that a majority of NRA members strongly support the Second Amendment and oppose some gun control proposals, results that reinforce the credibility of his survey as a whole.

The Luntz poll isn’t the first to indicate a cleavage between the NRA’s policy positions and its members. Indeed, in 1993, researchers from the Harvard School of Public Health, using data from a 1989 Time Magazine/CNN survey, found that “when gun owners are asked about specific regulatory requirements, they often support the regulation, disagreeing with the stated position of the organization [the NRA]. This holds true for both NRA members and nonmembers.” I suspect that the Luntz results, however, coming from a pollster who has spent much of his career devising messages to support conservative Republicans, will have an impact no prior survey has had.

Let’s hope the Luntz results will open some eyes in the political leadership of both major parties. It seems undeniable that the opposition to reasonable steps to reduce gun violence is driven by a cadre of ideological extremists who obsessively communicate their views to Congressional offices, state legislators, newspapers, talk radio hosts and anyone else who will listen (including the Huffington Post!). When the NRA opposes extending Brady background checks to all gun show sales, or other sensible reforms, it is speaking for them, and only for them. The Luntz poll is the most compelling evidence yet that these extremists are both a minority of gun owners and a minority of NRA members.

The Luntz results reminded me of an insightful comment made back in the summer by Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen as he spoke out against an NRA-supported bill passed by his state’s legislature allowing holders of concealed carry permits to carry guns into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. (Last month the law was struck down by a Nashville judge as unconstitutionally vague.) “This is an issue which is being driven by a few thousand people in the state who are very passionate about this issue,” he said, “but I think there are tens of thousands or millions of people who . . . particularly in cases like the guns-in-bars are just shaking their heads and thinking it’s craziness.” He added that there are “about 3,000 to 3,500 people out there who always engage on these (gun) issues, are constantly there, e-mailing everybody on the issue.” Governor Bredesen understood that it was his duty to serve the majority of his constituents, not simply pander to the noisy few.

How much gun craziness must our nation endure before more of our politicians start standing up to the extremist minority to enforce the common aspiration of the majority of Americans, including NRA members, for reasonable gun laws to protect the safety and security of our families and communities?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dennis-a-henigan/who-does-the-nra-represen_b_402318.html
coldjoint

Wed 28 Mar, 2018 09:17 am
How about we look at one of the causes. The real problems are always lost on people when the end results of the problem come to pass, which are no more than symptoms that point to the amoral diseases of our society. Here is a huge factor.
Quote:
It occurred to me though, half way through filming, that bullying – like so many other social ills in today’s headlines – isn’t really a problem at all; it’s a symptom. In my view, a symptom of a society that seems to value fatherhood less and less.

Look at these facts

Quote:
63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes – 5 times the average. (US Dept. Of Health/Census)
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes – 14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)
43% of US children live without their father [US Department of Census]

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/mike-rowe-comes-to-the-defense-of-fathers/
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 28 Mar, 2018 09:57 am
@Real Music,
Everytown USA is a known anti-gun group, they want to end the 2nd Amendment, not just enact "common sense" gun control. We already have a background check system.

There are no loopholes in the background check system, that is another BS talking point by this anti-gun group. The only place you will not find mandatory background checks, and that is per state regulation, is on personal sales of firearms. Even at gun shows, you have to have an FFL to sell guns at guns shows and that also includes having to do background checks as per Federal law.
0 Replies

Real Music

Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:18 am
How the NRA hijacks gun control debates

coldjoint

Wed 28 Mar, 2018 10:23 am
@Real Music,

Quote:
How the NRA hijacks gun control debates

Is this anything like the people who shout down conservatives on college campuses? If you cannot argue with the NRA you must not have that good of an argument. Stop whining.
0 Replies