Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 11:59 am

https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=wRyUWquFHcm4tQXV74XQBw&q=fraud+laws&oq=fraud+laws&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l10.1003.11584.0.15863.10.10.0.0.0.0.114.1040.3j7.10.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.10.1037...0i131k1.0.nCgTyqsYAOA

Fraud is a broad term that refers to a variety of offenses involving dishonesty or "fraudulent acts". In essence, fraud is the intentional deception of a person or entity by another made for monetary or personal gain. Fraud offenses always include some sort of false statement, misrepresentation, or deceitful conduct.

Most governments and countries have fraud laws of some kinds. They generally interfere with religious fraudsters only when physical harm is being done to our gullible citizens yet ignore the monetary theft that the fraudsters fleece from their victims. Prosperity ministries are the most flagrant of these immoral religions, but all religions based on demonstrable lies would be included in this question.

Our governments are quite good at acting against obvious fraudsters yet seem reluctant to protect our more gullible citizens when it comes down to religions.

Religions, to me, get a free pass to lie and steal all they can from victims, especially the older citizens even when governments know about the fraud.

I begin to see the inaction of governments on these religious fraudsters as a dereliction of duty.

Do you?

Regards
DL

fresco

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:07 pm
@Greatest I am,
Laughing
Yeh...better ban the lot, just to be on the safe side !
hightor

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:14 pm
I'd say let a god take care of it but apparently it's not particularly bothersome as the practice is so common.
Greatest I am

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:54 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Laughing

I would not throw out the baby with the dirty bathwater.

Not that I blame you for your view given our history with religions.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 12:56 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I'd say let a god take care of it but apparently it's not particularly bothersome as the practice is so common.

True. If there was a God, he would have likely killed off al those liars.

Intelligent people count on governments to enforce the laws and they are letting society down.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 01:38 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

I'm not sure you can differentiate any religion from a "fraudulent" religion. They are all predicated on their inability to be proven, instead relying on Faith as a foundation.

To determine "Fraudulent" you would first have to pick an objective basis for measurement, and that would probably be science since there really is no other objective baseline, and then right off the bat they would all be technically fraudulent because they all eschew evidence.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 02:05 pm
@rosborne979,
Wouldn't it be more logical to have religion ban fraudulent government?
Sturgis

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 03:43 pm
@maxdancona,
...and easier too.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 06:05 pm
When it comes to religion I favor a 'buyer beware' policy, for the most. Until they begin to mix up Kool Aid or something.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2018 08:03 pm
@maxdancona,
As bad as government is, and nobody knows bad government like the USA, that would be a ******* disaster with religion controlling government. It's been tried.

Do you want to be the first one burnt at the stake, Max, for your lies regarding 9/11?
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 12:00 am
@Greatest I am,
Quote:

Who is to determine what is fraudulent? Religion is a faith or belief. How would the government regulate someone's faith or belief?
fresco

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 01:52 am
Rolling Eyes Since some people are actually taking this thread seriously I suggest that the key question is not 'which religions are fraudulent ?'( ...a ridiculous notion since they all think they are 'correct'....)but whether the function of 'the state' is encourage diversity, or whether to enourage unity . Issues like the impending ban on male circumcision of minors in Iceland are significant to that debate together with the concept of 'self integrity' as being related to 'group identity'.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:33 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Who is to determine what is fraudulent? Religion is a faith or belief. How would the government regulate someone's faith or belief?

Every government is based on religion. I don't mean that every government has a belief in a deity. I do mean that every society has a core set of beliefs that can't be proven yet that are held as truth in its laws and its customs.

Quote:
“We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness….”

All Americans believe in human rights... even though not all of us believe in a creator.

The idea that humans have rights is a religious belief... there is no factual or scientific basis for this belief. Yet, everyone in our society just accepts it as true and our government institutions are based on this belief.

All governments are based on religious beliefs.

camlok

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2018 09:45 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
All Americans believe in human rights...

Utter claptrap, Max. You obviously do not know anything about the history of the USA beyond the propaganda that was force fed you as a child/teenager/adult.

A country that believes in human rights doesn't have slavery since its inception and then when it finally gets rid of it, as a ploy used in a war, it continues rabid racism for a further century.

A country that believes in human right doesn't wage war for 93% of its years in existence, wars to prevent human rights just so US business can steal others wealth.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 08:11 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Laughing

Given the harm they do, I am tempted to agree.

You do not seem to mind the homophobia, misogyny and intolerance that religions propagate. Oh well.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 08:12 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

So far, all God seems to do is agree with the homophobes and misogynous.

Regards
DL
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 08:53 am
@Greatest I am,
I am a misogynist, but not a homophobe. Where does that leave me?
fresco

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
@Greatest I am,
Rolling Eyes
All religions which claim 'truth' could be called 'fraudulent'. So that's all of them ! But that is not sufficient to 'regulate' them. On the other hand, [one of the main societal functions of religion (over and above being a psychological opiate) IS to 'regulate' irrespective of non-adherrants views of a particular religion. Therefore the question about 'fraudulence' is ridiculous !
All you are saying is that religious practices which don't conform to contemporary 'norms' should be suppressed. That amounts to trying to take particular drugs away from particular addicts. Good luck with that!
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 03:11 pm
@fresco,
Religion is not an opiate. Religion is more like a type of nutrition. Humans have a basic need to have an identity; a set of beliefs about who they are, why their lives are important, and how they fit in with the rest of the world.

These beliefs are important, but they are by nature superstitions. There is no factual basis for these beliefs. The universe doesn't particularly give any importance to human life, and yet we all need to believe that they do.

Atheists have ditched gods, but they haven't ditched superstition nor have they ditched the idea that some parts of human existence are sacred. We as human beings need these beliefs. Some of us believe in deities. Others believe in justice, or human rights, or equality or the dignity of life or whatever other ideals we have invented out of thin air to justify our existence.

A sense of meaning is a basic human need. The Universe doesn't provide us with any meaning, so we invent our own and pretend it is truth. Religion is as good as any other source of meaning.
oralloy

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 03:29 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:
Issues like the impending ban on male circumcision of minors in Iceland

Someone is taking a stand against male genital mutilation? Cool!
0 Replies