Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 03:44 pm
We should at least ban religions that have cosmetic features designed to assault sin.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:03 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:
Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions?....

This could be considered to describe every religion. Please be more specific as to what exactly makes a religion fraudulent, rather then give criteria which can be said to apply to all.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2018 07:37 pm
@Brandon9000,
I worship Atheos. That is my religion.

It is not a fraud.
fresco

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:28 am
@maxdancona,
You are correct about the 'need for meaning'. It's the price humans pay for have the cognitive ability to 'plan' and to contemplate 'consequences'. The problem is that the 'solutions' are arbitrary, and when coupled with the tribalism and pecking orders we inherit from our primate ancestors they tend to be socially pernicious. And not only does evolutionary theory clash with anthropocentrism, we now have underlying reductionist accounts of 'the life process' pointing to the insignificance of the individual life form relative to the process itself. It is interesting to contemplate this with respect to the evolutionary longevity of insects !

: 'Life...is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing '
Skakespeare

The 'need' is for insulation against 'the void'.

0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 06:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am a misogynist, but not a homophobe. Where does that leave me?

Half way to equality for all which is where your mind should be.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 06:45 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Rolling Eyes
All religions which claim 'truth' could be called 'fraudulent'. So that's all of them ! But that is not sufficient to 'regulate' them. On the other hand, [one of the main societal functions of religion (over and above being a psychological opiate) IS to 'regulate' irrespective of non-adherrants views of a particular religion. Therefore the question about 'fraudulence' is ridiculous !
All you are saying is that religious practices which don't conform to contemporary 'norms' should be suppressed. That amounts to trying to take particular drugs away from particular addicts. Good luck with that!

The contemporary norms, secular law, have shown their moral value as compared to religious law.

But if you think we should continue to ignore the pusher pushing t6heir immoral drugs into the minds of our weakest of mind and gullible so that might be more easily conned out of their cash, then you show how your belief system has corrupted your moral thinking.

Regards
DL

0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 06:48 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Religion is not an opiate. Religion is more like a type of nutrition. Humans have a basic need to have an identity; a set of beliefs about who they are, why their lives are important, and how they fit in with the rest of the world.

These beliefs are important, but they are by nature superstitions. There is no factual basis for these beliefs. The universe doesn't particularly give any importance to human life, and yet we all need to believe that they do.

Atheists have ditched gods, but they haven't ditched superstition nor have they ditched the idea that some parts of human existence are sacred. We as human beings need these beliefs. Some of us believe in deities. Others believe in justice, or human rights, or equality or the dignity of life or whatever other ideals we have invented out of thin air to justify our existence.

A sense of meaning is a basic human need. The Universe doesn't provide us with any meaning, so we invent our own and pretend it is truth. Religion is as good as any other source of meaning.

I agree with most of this but if one is to seek a God that they are to emulate and follow, they should not settle for a genocidal son murdering prick of a God.

Surely they can do better.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 06:50 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

We should at least ban religions that have cosmetic features designed to assault sin.

I am not sure if I understand your language. Please expand/explain further.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 06:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

This could be considered to describe every religion. Please be more specific as to what exactly makes a religion fraudulent, rather then give criteria which can be said to apply to all.

Fraud is based on using lies to push a victim to part with his cash.

That condition does not exist where the religion is based on knowledge and wisdom seeking as they have no need to lie.

Those non-lying religions would be like some Buddhist sects, Karaite Jews and my own Gnostic Christianity. Basically all religions that put man above God. And why not as we create all the Gods.

Regards
DL
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 07:13 pm
@Greatest I am,
Quote:
Half way to equality for all which is where your mind should be.

I think half way to equality is exactly the right place to be. If you go all the way to equality... it is no longer equal, is it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2018 08:17 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

That condition does not exist where the religion is based on knowledge and wisdom seeking as they have no need to lie.

Those non-lying religions would be like some Buddhist sects, Karaite Jews and my own Gnostic Christianity. Basically all religions that put man above God. And why not as we create all the Gods.

Regards
DL

One man's knowledge and wisdom is another man's lie. Christianity is based on the claim that an omnipotent being created the world and that Jesus Christ was created by him to be his son. I'd like to see you offer a shred of evidence to support that.
Greatest I am

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I worship Atheos. That is my religion.

It is not a fraud.

It is not active enough either.

If more of you good folk did not let the evil that is religions grow by not actively fighting it, you would be showing how moral your ideology is.

I get chastised when I try to get the non-believers to be more aggressive towards evil religions. Those people are not living by the Golden Rule.

I hope you are.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 06:19 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Regards
DL

One man's knowledge and wisdom is another man's lie. Christianity is based on the claim that an omnipotent being created the world and that Jesus Christ was created by him to be his son. I'd like to see you offer a shred of evidence to support that.

Hey, I am the one calling those who preach such garbage liars.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:09 am
@Greatest I am,
Quote:
I get chastised when I try to get the non-believers to be more aggressive towards evil religions.

I think you should be chastised. Whether a religion is evil or not is subjective.
Greatest I am

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:44 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
I get chastised when I try to get the non-believers to be more aggressive towards evil religions.

I think you should be chastised. Whether a religion is evil or not is subjective.

I do not see the relevance of that fact on this issuel

But to speak to your comment.

Sure morals are subjective, and when I find what I think is an evil religion, I fight their ideology.

If you do not, your not living by the Golden Rule and are showing a poor moral sense.

Regards
DL
maxdancona

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 07:51 am
@Greatest I am,
Quote:
Sure morals are subjective, and when I find what I think is an evil religion, I fight their ideology.

If you do not, your not living by the Golden Rule and are showing a poor moral sense.

Sure, you fight their religion... they fight your religion... you think they are evil... they think you are evil. Religions are always fighting each other.

The Golden Rule doesn't mean anything to me. It isn't part of my system of morality.
Real Music

Reply Sat 17 Mar, 2018 08:38 pm
@Greatest I am,
Quote:

Does this mean you support fighting religious wars?
Or are you referring to fighting intellectually?
fresco

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 02:17 am
@Real Music,
I suggest he simply means raising the issue on forums !
TO All
In practical terms we all (us +them) seek the easiest route through a multicultural world. For example, as a volunteer teacher in adult math classes, mostly attended by muslim women in headscarfs, I find myself teaching 'compound interest' to an audience in which interest charges are 'immoral'. The class has a laugh about it, as we also do when 'probability' of gambling events comes up. Not surprising really when several of them are involved in family businesses taking their profits from the sale of alcohol and lottery tickets! Of course this 'blurring of he edges' does little to counter what to me are some of the more abhorrent fundamendalist practices, but it's a start.

0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

Sure, you fight their religion... they fight your religion... you think they are evil... they think you are evil. Religions are always fighting each other.

The Golden Rule doesn't mean anything to me. It isn't part of my system of morality.

Really. You are not like 75% of the population then.

What are your first hmm, 3 moral tenets.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 05:51 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Does this mean you support fighting religious wars?
Or are you referring to fighting intellectually?

Yes. A war of words. More only for self defence if an Inquisitor of Jihadist is at hand.

I am not a pacifist or one who turns the other cheek as that rewards evil behavior.

Regards
DL
0 Replies