Eva's Wine Cellar

Eva

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2012 10:23 pm
@Joe Nation,
Raisins?

In whiskey?

Are you trying to compete with spendius? That is very odd.
spendius

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 04:09 am
@Eva,
Quote:
I'm sorry, but we won't be able to serve you anything else alcoholic this evening. You've had too much. Please allow me to call you a cab. It's on the house!

That sounds like the bum's rush to me Eva. It is not quite in line with your starter post now is it?

You have put George in a right fix. He took the trouble to compliment my post and now has a choice to either resist you throwing me out into the street or continuing patronising the witless fatuities which pass for conversation around here.

What time is Vampire Lesbians of Sodom being screened?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 08:00 am
@Eva,
Eva, I finally found out why we need this.

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/build-wine-rack-1.jpg

It's so that the cork can be kept moist and easy to pop.
Eva

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 04:45 pm
@Eva,
Dear spendius, you'd clearly had too much to drink, and you were beginning to see things that aren't here.

Eva wrote:

Squeeze bottles? An ice cream truck? Bad art? Chop Suey Surprise? Ordering by number???...

I'm very glad to see you're in better shape today.

I'm sorry, we do not screen movies here. (Not even those with hilarious titles!) We're not licensed for such.

May I offer you something to nibble on? FS whipped up some tasty bruschetta with the Mediterranean leftovers. And...have you read today's NYTimes? Good article there on the Greek election.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yiXt2cQyR_I/SGIDd2vHb3I/AAAAAAAAAkQ/F6fSDiSFmqE/s1600/Italian%2BBruschetta.jpg
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/940/coverren.jpg
FOUND SOUL

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 04:51 pm
@Eva,
Thanks for adding the decoration (greens) I forgot Shocked shhh don't tell anyone.... Eva.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 05:37 pm
@Eva,
Quote:
Dear spendius, you'd clearly had too much to drink, and you were beginning to see things that aren't here.

I can do a lot better than "Squeeze bottles? An ice cream truck? Bad art? Chop Suey Surprise? Ordering by number???..." when I'm popped up.
Eva

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 09:25 pm
@Letty,
It's more than that, Letty. When corks get dry, they shrink. Then air can get into the bottle and spoil the wine. You have to keep the cork wet for a tight fit.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 17 Jun, 2012 09:27 pm
@spendius,
"Popped up"? I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that expression.
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 06:21 am
@Eva,
"He's back on the pop", is an expression we sometimes use about an irresolute reforming alcoholic.

Pop is the word some of us use for soft drinks such as Dandelion and Burdock, Lemonade and Tizer. I think Pop Music derives from that usage because it is a bit fizzy but soon goes flat.

Norman Mailer used the word about a female intellectual who "popped out" as a result of an article he wrote.
Eva

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 09:41 am
@spendius,
Okay, but what did YOU mean by "when I'm popped up"? When you're drinking?
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:02 am
~~News Flash~~
The term "Pop Music" is derived from the words "Popular Music" as opposed to the more highbrow Classical Music.
~~~~

This bulletin brought to you by the makers of Something Snilly Socks
Remember, if you want to get socked say "Something Snilly'.

What time is tea?

Joe(I've have the Double Bergamot Early Grey)Nation
spendius

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:32 am
@Eva,
When I am inspired after drinking and social inhibitions are less pressing upon my conscience and my companions are similarly popped.

Outlandish ideas froth forth feverishly from far off fields of the furthest futilities of fancy frisking and fulminating frivolously much as pop does when the top is removed from the bottle.

But a well manured soil is needed and that's where reading rewards a raconteur's receptive rosy-lipped responder. Not any old reading mind you.

Literature is like wine. It has its vineyards and vintages too. It is unlike wine in that the cheapest has little or no effect whereas 12% is 12% anywhichwayup, or puyawhcihwyna if you prefer.

Only Pagan and Christian literature are worth the bother. There's never any subtle smut in the other stuff.

I saw a picture of the earth earlier taken from a satellite. It gave a much clearer picture of the middle-east than we get from down here.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:42 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
~~News Flash~~
The term "Pop Music" is derived from the words "Popular Music" as opposed to the more highbrow Classical Music.

The thing to do with wet blankets, Joe, is to hang them out to dry in the sun like they do with wombats in order to get the Aussie version of biltung for expeditions in the outback.

I had thought of using "bladdered" but thought Eva might consider it indelicate.
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 11:55 am
@spendius,
yes.
Now what are we supposed to do with bores?

Joe(Usually I don't even ignore them)Nation

spendius

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:19 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Now what are we supposed to do with bores?

Attempt to educate them I should have thought.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 10:12 pm
It's a little quiet in the Wine Cellar tonight. JoeNation and spendius are trading quips at the end of the bar, but it looks like their conversation is winding down. Otherwise, the place is empty.

I think I'll turn in.

Yes, Jacques?

Yes, you can leave early, too. It's been a full day. Just give spendius one last beer, and ask Joe if he would like anything to go. I'll see you tomorrow. <kiss kiss> Don't forget to lock up.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 02:36 am
@Eva,
Well, I almost made it, closed... By 1 minute.

Never mind, I thought I'd drop in and say hi to all and check if the cat was ok...

Hope everyone sleeps well.
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 07:11 am
@Eva,
Quote:
Otherwise, the place is empty.

Well Eva--there are other places to go and other things to do. If you build a better wine cellar the world will beat a path to your door.

Endless pictures of food accompanied by obviously forced declarations of yum-yumminess only have a very limited interest and none at all to some.

My idea of a Greek salad is Argive Helen and a couple of her handmaidens well popped up on a balmy evening beside the wine-dark sea.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 07:47 am
Uh...oh..
Don't you hate it when you wake up with a crick in your neck from sleeping curled up on the floor of a bar booth? It bothers me every time it happens.
Wait.
<yawns> Oh, boy.....I hope there is some Advil behind the bar somewhere. Yes. Here it is next to this little trophy somebody got on Sunday inscribed "World's Best Dad."
~~
Cripes.
The doors are locked inside and out. I'm going to go see if there's a key behind the bar.....oh, hey, someone's at the door!!
Nevermind.
It was just the paperboy pushing today's issue through the mail slot.
Hmmm.
Clemens....Egyptian elections...Greek Elections...Red Sox still in the cellar, frigging Yankees just won ten in a row.

Okay. I'm okay. I just found a Uni-ball pen on the bar and now, on page 16C , is today's crossword.

I'm going to sit here (god, I've love some coffee) and work on this until somebody comes.

1Down (eight letters) On The Edge?

Joe(hangover)Nation
spendius

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:36 am
@Joe Nation,
What use are the keys Joe if the door is locked on the outside?

I would have chosen another expression for "today's issue ". In expansive mode it might run a few paragraphs. Or a whole chapter.

Whatever--I wouldn't have missed an opportunity as good as that to convey my attitude to ******* newspapers and to wonder aloud why they are not cut up into more convenient sizes for arse wiping.

You could have said something regarding Mr Clemens about the loyalty of one's old friends and team-mates. You know!! Put yourself on the line a bit more. We have all woken up in some strange places with a crick in something or other. Relating such an incident is only an instrument for playing the Joe Nation Sonata on.

Politics