Oral and genital herpes

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:02 pm
my girlfriend gave me oral then later that day developed a cold sore will i get herpes

glitterbag

Wed 7 Feb, 2018 11:57 pm
@nemisis988,
Could be you gave it to her. I don't think symptoms develop quite that fast, perhaps this isn't your first time with her.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 02:18 am
@nemisis988,
Getting a cold sore can be quite innocent, and it doesn't automatically follow that you'll develop genital herpes.

I had a cold sore on my chin when I was a kid, really nasty bastard that took ages to clear up, and although I've been told that the virus stays in the system for the rest of your life, I've never had another.

And I've never had herpes either.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 02:50 am
Perhaps you might consult a physician, rather than relying on a bunch of strangers on the internet.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 04:49 am
@nemisis988,
Anyone who has cold sores, or has had cold sores, has herpes. Herpes is the virus that causes cold sores. And, once you get the virus... you have it for life. This sounds scary but it isn't. Herpes is an overblown, common, harmless disease that isn't worth the worry. Some people think that it was hyped by marketing departments at drug companies. Most doctors won't even test for it because it is not a health risk.

Herpes is a skin rash. That is it... a skin rash. Usually people who get the virus get the skin rash, very rarely there are complications. Often the rash is so mild that people don't even notice they have it.

Herpes is also incredibly common. More than half of people under 50 have HSV-1 (which usually causes moth sores). About more than 25% of sexually active women have HSV-2 (which more often creates a rash on the genitals), the number is less for men only because of physiology; it is easier for the virus to spread to women.

Herpes is a skin rash with a bad reputation. You may have HSV-1 without knowing it. If you have had sex with more than two or three people, you likely have encountered HSV-2. Most people who have either of these viruses don't even know it.

I wouldn't worry about it.
maxdancona

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 05:01 am
@maxdancona,
I will tell how I know about this.

I get STD tests from time to time to be responsible as a single person. One time, a few years ago, I got a call that I tested positive for genital herpes.

Obviously I freaked out... the words "STD" and "you have it for the rest of your life" get ones attention. My idiot doctor provided no support. They just said that my blood test was positive and didn't give me any other information. I joined a support group. I called an ex-girlfriend for an uncomfortable talk. I kind of went crazy.

Then I read that the tests aren't very accurate. So I went to a different doctor to get a retest.

That is where things got interesting; The second doctor was angry at the first doctor. It turns out that doctors aren't supposed to give Herpes tests, even as part of an STD screen. It turns out that Herpes is so common and so harmless, that doctors realize that the stigma is worse than the disease. So for public health matter... medical professionals literally feel it is better for an infected person to not know. There are two exception; one is in the rare case where there are complications more than a simple rash... and when you have been exposed to HIV (which is a serious disease). Apparently the herpes virus can increase the transmission rate of HIV.

It makes no sense. This is a disease that is common, not tested for, that doctors don't take seriously... and yet that there is a huge public stigma.

I forced the second doctor to give me a retest. The doctor at first literally told me that she wouldn't give me the test because the results were meaningless unless I had had symptoms. I pointed out that the results were meaningful to me, since the information was already affecting me. It turns out the results were an inconclusive "no" which the doctor told me didn't mean very much. I was able to drop it.

Herpes is a stigma, not a real disease. The more I read about this, the stupider it gets. This is the absolute least of your worries.

0 Replies

Glennn

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 08:59 am
@nemisis988,
Listen to glitterbag, the voice of experience.
edgarblythe

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 09:05 am
@maxdancona,
You can make useful posts sometimes, Max.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 11:32 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:

Listen to glitterbag, the voice of experience.

IT IS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

roger

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 01:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Not to mention that the very painful shingles is also a herpes. Herpes Zoroaster instead of herpes simplex. Different disease, but it's kind of unsettling when you get the diagnosis.
edgarblythe

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 01:20 pm
@roger,
Shingles is so bad my house even got them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 01:42 pm
Shingles (and chicken pox) are caused by a virus known as herpes zoster.

No one here is a doctor, including me. You need to consult a physician. A nurse practitioner at a public health facility can advise you, and refer you to a physician.
maxdancona

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 01:55 pm
@Setanta,
I don't know why you people need to be such assholes on this thread. This is a real person looking for serious advice.

This person got oral sex from someone with a cold sore. This is a good day, not a medical emergency. The statistics I posted are correct, you can check them if you want... and it is true that herpes tests are counter-indicated.

Talk to a doctor the next time you see one, no need to rush. If the doctor is good he will answer any of your questions. I talked to two doctors about this, one of which was helpful. Herpes is a common skin rash that most people don't even know they have.

I know for a fact that most doctors won't even test you... even knowing your story... unless you have symptoms. After I called an ex-girlfriend with my positive test, she went to her doctor who refused to give her a herpes test. I was trying to do the right thing by telling her... but all I did was make her unnecessarily worried. This is not a disease that doctors consider serious enough to warrant testing for it.

If you are still listening, Nemisis these people are bullies. I am trying to be helpful. I am the only person here with any real experience... I am telling you there is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one out of six people in the United States aged 14 to 49 have genital herpes caused by the HSV-2 infection (the herpes simplex virus often responsible for genital herpes). The overall genital herpes statistic is probably higher, the CDC stated, since many people are also contracting genital herpes through oral sex caused by HSV-1 (the kind of herpes usually responsible for cold sores). Taking that into account, genital herpes statistics are usually quoted at closer to 25 percent for women and 10 percent for men, but most of these people don’t even know they have it.

In terms of a person’s health, genital herpes is usually nothing to worry about.
According to the National Institutes of Health, many people with genital herpes never even have outbreaks or their outbreaks decrease over time (one or two outbreaks a year is not uncommon).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/07/the-overblown-stigma-of-genital-herpes/374757/

Setanta

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 02:35 pm
I trained at the Medical Training Center and the Medical Field Service Schbool at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The course at the MFSS included 54 classroom hours in medical terminology and 54 classroom hours in surgical terminology. That enabled me to transcribe patient treatment records and doctors' notes. That also enabled me to provide epidemiological reports to the Department of the Army.

That did not make me a doctor. No one here is a doctor. Public health services in most states (every state that I've ever known of) have a particular interest in STDs, and employ registered nurses or nurse practitioners who can advise you with expert knowledge. In every state of which I know, that is free of charge. The nurse or nurse practitioner can refer you to a physician who will take your concerns seriously, and advise, and if necessary, prescribe for you. Even if there were a charge for the public health service, and given that there likely would be a charge from a physician, it would either be covered by your health insurance, or would be credit toward your outpatient deductible. If you have an outpatient deductible, it's a good thing to get that paid off early in the year, so that you would get insurance coverage later in the year when you really need it.

No one here is bullying you, other than those who claim expert knowledge which they do not in fact possess. Anyone who comes here for medical or legal advice should be advised to consult a physician or a lawyer--not a pack of strangers whose interest in your needs is doubtful and whose expertise is risible.

No one here is a doctor. In the case of STDs, state public health services are your first stop because they do have expert knowledge and can advise you much better that any self-important bullies online, who just want to pretend that they know what they are talking about.

Oh yeah--I've wrecked my car many times, and take it in for oil changes on a regular basis, so I know all about cars. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Sturgis

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Herpes is...harmless disease...

...rarely there are complications.

You are contradicting yourself maxdancona. Any complication can lead to a dire outcome.
roger

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 03:15 pm
@Setanta,
thanks for the correction
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 04:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
You are contradicting yourself maxdancona. Any complication can lead to a dire outcome.

This nitpicking is silly. Getting your ears pierced can lead to a dire outcome. Playing with a cat can lead to a dire outcome. Eating grapes can lead to a dire outcome. This is Trump logic for why the US can't take refugees from Syria.

When someone gives you oral sex... most of us think that is a good thing, and fully worth the risk that you might end up with a cold sore (or worse). The risk of herpes is silly to worry about. More than half the people you will meet have herpes and most don't know about it.

If you are worried.... chastity is the only solution.
ehBeth

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 04:51 pm
@nemisis988,
http://www.happy-with-herpes.com/symptoms-of-herpes.html

it's usually 2 - 20 days

so keep an eye on things

Quote:
What should you do if you have these symptoms of Herpes?
To conclude, there are many different symptoms of herpes. The above mentioned symptoms are those of moderate to severe herpes cases, but mild cases of herpes are also prevalent and can go unnoticed.

The tricky thing about genital herpes symptoms is that they are often hard to notice in the beginning. You might think that you have something else like:

Insect bites
Jock itch
Abrasions or razor burn
Yeast infections
Hemorrhoids
Ingrown hair follicles

That's why my number one bit of advice is...

Speak to a Doctor!!!!! Either in person or even online at Healthtap.com.

If you are reading this and think you have herpes, you should go do the following things:

1. Go see a Doctor. A doctor can give you a proper diagnosis. Your family doctor can give you a test to help diagnose the type of herpes that you have. Better yet, go see a dermatologist (skin doctor) or a gynecologist (especially if you think you have Genital Herpes).

2. Go get a Herpes Blood Test. A blood test for herpes will give you a 99% correct diagnosis whether you have HSV-1 (Oral Herpes) or HSV-2 (Genital Herpes). These tests work best 10-12 weeks or more after first exposure to the virus.

3. Tell your partner. Your sexual partner has the right to know if you suspect you have Herpes. I have written some nice tips on how to tell your partner that you might find useful.

4. Consider getting your partner tested. There's a good chance that your current partner has given you herpes so if you get tested you should suggest your partner to get tested also.

truthfully I'd be most concerned about your partner if she is of an age where she could have children in the future as there is a significant danger to infants who are born to infected, undiagnosed mothers. it can be fatal.

I don't worry so much with older couples where there aren't children in either's future.
maxdancona

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:10 pm
@ehBeth,
This is a problem of scientific literacy. People exaggerate minuscule risks and make irrational decisions.

Yes, infants have died from being kissed by a person who carries the HSV-1 virus (or HSV-2 although that is more likely transmitted by the mother). There are horrible stories about babies who have died from kissing someone with cold sores. You can google any number of them... for example http://people.com/human-interest/mom-newborn-died-meningitis-speaks-out/

Izzy has said that he has had cold sores. This means that Izzy carries the HSV-1 virus. This is no big deal; about 50% of us carry the HSV-1 virus. Izzy (and anyone else who has had cold sores and many people who never have) poses a non-zero risk to any infant.

So, ask yourself this... if this is a virus that can kill infants, why don't doctors test for it for people who are near babies (mothers, fathers etc.) And why aren't 50% of people forbidden from handling babies.

It is because the risks are so small... and the cost of preventing them are so high, that the medical experts don't consider it worth worrying about. Science makes these conclusions all of the times... there are countless rare conditions that very rarely kill newborns. It isn't worth even testing for them because the prevention is worse then just letting it be.

This is a lot of hype about something that, Izzy has, I might have (although I tested negative the second time), and anyone here could have without even knowing it.

The medical experts don't worry about this enough to even test for it... and neither should you. In the very unlikely case that you have an outbreak of sores around your mouth or on your genitals, you should see a doctor. Until then, you should forget about it.

That isn't just Max saying so... that is the current advice from the medical establishment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Thu 8 Feb, 2018 07:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

truthfully I'd be most concerned about your partner if she is of an age where she could have children in the future as there is a significant danger to infants who are born to infected, undiagnosed mothers. it can be fatal.

for science nerds

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671497/

and a translation of sorts

http://www.ashasexualhealth.org/stdsstis/herpes/herpes-and-pregnancy/

Quote:
If a woman with genital herpes has virus present in the birth canal during delivery, herpes simplex virus (HSV) can be spread to an infant, causing neonatal herpes, a serious and sometimes fatal condition. Neonatal herpes can cause an overwhelming infection resulting in lasting damage to the central nervous system, mental retardation, or death. Medication, if given early, may help prevent or reduce lasting damage, but even with antiviral medication, this infection has serious consequences for most infected infants.

While neonatal herpes is a serious condition, it is also very rare. Less than 0.1% of babies born in the United States each year get neonatal herpes
. By contrast, some 25-30% of pregnant women have genital herpes. This means that most women with genital herpes give birth to healthy babies.

Babies are most at risk for neonatal herpes if the mother contracts genital herpes late in pregnancy. This is because a newly infected mother does not have antibodies against the virus, so there is no natural protection for the baby during birth. In addition, a new herpes infection is frequently active, so there is an increased possibility the virus will be present in the birth canal during delivery.

rare but potentially deadly

___

if you think you may have herpes, talk to a doctor, get tested

if you're having unprotected sex with someone who does not have herpes already - tell them