YA-A-A-A-ARGH-H-H-H-H!! THE PAIN!! DR: "YEP; ARTHRITIS."

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 02:14 pm
You may need physical therapy.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 08:41 am
I'm under investigation for probable RA/other auto immunce problem. Shocked Sad

I have painful swollen finger joints and a toe. I get tired, am allergic to too much sun, have a raised rheumatoid factor and pv.

I seem to remember reading that with RA you should avoid oranges and citrus fruit and tomatoes - is this right? does anyone know?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 10:26 am
Not me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 10:59 am
Vivien- There has been a lot written on nightshades and arthritis. Check this out:

Quote:
Avoiding Nightshades May Reduce Arthritis Flare-ups
Tulsa World
JENNIFER K. COVINO CREDIT:The Stamford Advocate
March 01, 2002

They don't look or taste anything alike: the funny-shaped purple eggplant, the plump red tomato and the fresh-from-the-dirt potato. But all three belong to the Solanaceae or nightshade food family and all three could be culprits when it comes to swollen joints.

Nightshade foods contain a toxin called solanine, which scientists believe interferes with proper enzyme function in muscles, leading to pain. Other members of the nightshade family are green and red peppers, chili peppers, paprika and all tobacco products.

"Some people feel that including peppers, potatoes and tomatoes in their diets causes or aggravates their joint stiffness and pain," acknowledges Barry Fox, author of the book, "Arthritis for Dummies" (paperback, $19.99). But Fox warns that there are mostly anecdotes - - and limited scientific research -- to back up the claims.

The most common form of arthritis, osteoarthritis, accounts for the vast majority of cases, affecting 12 percent of Americans ages 25 to 74, according to the American College of Rheumatology. Osteoarthritis occurs when cartilage in the joint breaks down. The breakdown causes the bones to rub against one another, causing pain, most often in the hands and in weight-bearing joints such as knees, hips, feet and the back.

Rheumatoid arthritis affects 1 percent of the population, striking women nearly three times as often as men. It is an autoimmune disorder because the immune system mistakenly attacks the synovial membranes that lubricate the joints. The membranes become inflamed, leading to pain, stiffness and swelling.

Dietary changes, such as limiting saturated fat, increasing vegetable intake, supplementing with fish oils and avoiding nightshade foods, are believed to help those with rheumatoid arthritis, which is categorized by inflammation. But there's no guarantee. Dr. Sharon Karp, a rheumatologist in Stamford, Conn., says she has a handful of patients who believe eating nightshade foods aggravates their rheumatoid arthritis. A friend who suffers from Still's Disease, a rare form of juvenile rheumatoid arthritis that can also strike adults, avoids tomatoes and peppers as a general rule, as well as fatty meats and cheeses. The worst is waking up the next morning after a slice of pizza, he says, to find his joints inflamed.

Dr. Tomas Viegorisz, a Stamford rheumatologist, says he doubts passing on the pasta sauce is going to benefit those with osteoarthritis. "Once the process of cartilage breakdown has taken place, it's difficult to reverse," Viegorisz says. "It's mostly symptomatic treatment and treating pain."

In the late 1970s, a tomato juice drinker and arthritis sufferer named Dr. Norman Childers, then a professor of horticulture at Cook College in New Jersey, began to investigate the link between nightshades and arthritis. Childers continued his research for several decades. In a 1993 report published in the Journal of Neurological and Orthopedic Medical Surgery, he concluded that eliminating nightshade foods from the diet eased symptoms among arthritis sufferers. Childers surveyed 434 people with arthritis who had attempted to eliminate nightshades from their diet for a period of time. Among those who rigidly adhered to the diet, 94 percent reported complete or substantial relief. Among those who slipped up occasionally, 50 percent experienced a marked reduction in joint tenderness and muscle spasms, plus gains in motion and endurance, according to Childers.

Childers found that nightshade foods help to inhibit cholinesterase, the enzyme that controls the normal functioning of the nervous system, and thus contribute to joint deterioration and stiffness. Those with rheumatoid arthritis are most affected by this property. But Childers also found a link between osteoarthritis and the production of vitamin D3, which is produced by the nightshade foods. The vitamin has been shown to cause crippling in livestock.

Some guidelines suggest eliminating nightshade foods from the diet one at a time, then reintroducing the food after seven to 10 days, keeping track of symptoms. Others warn it could take weeks or months of nightshade abstinence to notice results. The Arthritis Foundation suggests consulting with a physician before starting an elimination diet.
(C) 2002 Tulsa World. via ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved

0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 02:04 pm
phoenix thanks for that - I'll print it off to keep and try it. Very Happy
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 09:01 pm
My osteoarthritis is real easy to differentiate from the
inflammatory arthritis... the osteo version is just a bit
of stiffness in the joints here and there mainly in the
mornings and wears off after awhile. Edgar dear, it
sounds like you really did injure yourself - and if your
doctor gave you pain pills; he might have done you a
dis-service. With a pain pill in you, you might well be
back out there re-injuring the exact same part of your
body that you hurt in the 1st place.
Best to see how you feel BEFORE taking the pain pill - to
see if you are up to the job at hand today or you may require
to rest it a few more days, sometimes even weeks. We are
never going to be as young and invincible as we once were,
are we??? Such a shame that youth is wasted on the young.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 09:29 pm
My arms were as they were because of the bone spurs, primarily. The doc initially said I had arthritus and bone spurs. After he gave me a steroid shot he wrote a prescription for pain and gave me Celebrex to take for two weeks, along with physical therapy. I have questioned if it really was arthritus because as soon as the bone spurs were gone my arm went back to normal and now I never have any discomfort, despite the fact that I do such tasks as dragging 3/4" plywood decking up on a building and installing it alone, etc.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 11:38 pm
edgarblythe<

Do you still take the Celebrex daily? If so, this useful drug might be helping your arthritis pain and also your range of motion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 06:23 am
I took the celebrex for about a week and a half.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 09:30 pm
Whatever methodolgy works for you, edgarblythe, is the one to stay with.
A daily drug regimen isn't needed by every patient.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 09:43 pm
Right you are. I believe good diet and plenty of exercise is the best medicine for most of us.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:05 pm
I have read this thread from the beginning to about page seven and have to pipe in.

Edgar no doubt does have osteoarthritis and a spur, as his doctor says, but that may not have been the immediate cause of his pain. It might not have been a flare, but some other muscle or ligament matter.

As some of you know, I was a rheumatology research tech in the sixties and seventies and set up immunology/rheumatology labs. I have not a smidge of clinical expertise and was not involved in those concerns, spending as I was up to fourteen hours a day getting labs up and running. So my opinion is no wiser than anyone else's, but I boast some familiarity with the words of arthritis.

Life brings most of us some arthritis at some time, and showers others, often in families, with real baths of it. Many of us also blow out our spinal discs by various unwise at the time movements. To some extent, this can be warded off by tip top conditioning of muscles...but I am diverging here...as muscle conditioning does not ward off the disease of rheumatoid arthritis. Uh, I don't think. It didn't used to.

Some of our movement screwups are primarily muscular, and will repair. Sometimes we have weaknesses and reinjure ourselves in the same place, and we need to build up muscles around that place in protection.

So, lots of these processes can happen at once, and sometimes because of the other...if you have pain at a joint, you walk to alleviate it, and that puts unusual tension in another place.

I don't have easy remedies, and I am nosing about on line myself, as I am far away now from my key rheumatologist associates. At the time I worked with them, they who read the literature, well, enthusiastically devoured the literature with their every free minute.....did not believe diet was involved. The whole thing about antioxidants in general has happened since then, and there may be new valid info re nutrition and arthritis.

My own view of osteo is of aging, breakdown of component parts, and autoantibodies forming to connect to the floating components joining those components and perhaps emitting enzymes that wreak more breakdown.

I have to say that we now live in a rich informational time, and the articles that are most recent in rheumatology are probably available on line. But it takes a heap of learnin to read these well and distinguish one point of view with another, with a slough of data on any side.

For example, I have Retinitis pigmentosa. When I first found that out, 14 years ago, I went to the Biomed Library at UCLA and looked up every word about it. I ended up reading the entire proceedings of a medical meeting in
Germany about the eye disease, including a lot of horribly negative stuff. I was equipped to read it since I have a science background, but my own case turns out to fairly exceptional in terms of the speed of the bellshaped curve of breakdown.

I bring this up because I think information is out there in the journals. I am also betting the Edgar's doctor has read these or is conversant with them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:26 pm
I cannot fault the doctor. My arm was almost wholly useless before he began his treatment. In a short order, I was doing/feeling fine. Without his or another's expertise I would still be in pain and unable to work.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:27 pm
Modern drugs and modern medicine.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:04 pm
It is nice to read that you are free of pain. Hang on to that doctor!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 11:11 pm
Hang on!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:23 am
Well, EB You could have simply overdone it, don't we
ALL tend to do this? Hurt yourself and the darned
inflammatory response can last quite awhile, much
to your misfortune. Comfort yourself with the fact
that in your case, it is due to osteoarthritis. For those
of us with inflammatory arthritis, the pain just goes
on and on and on. I rarely ever lift heavy objects or
take the risk of hurting myself because it's bad
enough without an injury on top of it. I fell down
directly on my right knee about 10 days ago, and I
thought I would die. Within 20 seconds 2 huge knots
arose (both bursa sacs, I think) It hurt so bad, even
with my painkillers it did no good. All that I could do
was to ice it down - 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off
for the first 48 hours. Now, it still hurts just to touch
that knee, but that's just one of the places that hurt.
Frequently I get the sacroiliac joint inflammation or
shoulder (THESE wake me up in the middle of the
night ) then there is the constant feet, ankles, hips
knees, hands and one of my fingers - even though
I'm on medication to prevent the disfigurement of
rheumatoid arthritis, the middle finger is bending
outward and it gets raised knots on it. My BIGGEST
problem is that I can't take any of these medicines
to fight inflammation, because after years and years
of taking drugs to fight inflammation; they succeeded
in doing damage to my liver. So now - all of the meds
that used to help - I can't take anymore. The only
option that this leaves me with is the use of narcotic
analgesics, since they are not damaging to the liver.
But even many of these narcotic pain killers ARE,
they have such high amounts of tylenol in them. Drugs
like Lorcet, Lortab, Percocet, Vicodin, hydrocodone
& tylenol combinations - why they put the tylenol in
there is not at all understandable. The patient could
easily take a "reasonable" dose of tylenol, like 500mg
along with the pain killers. But often these meds have
750mg of tylenol along with the narcotic component.
Take 2 of them and you are literally getting an overdose
of tylenol. Sometimes I think that our drug companies and
our govt are in a plan together; for how to solve the baby
boomer Medicare problem - by killing off as many as they
can before they get to retirement age. Rolling Eyes They don't
even sell this kind of garbage in Mexico,it's bad for your
health.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 03:59 am
Why not take low dose Tylenol?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 04:47 am
I'll be content to keep my own brand of arthritis after that tale, babs. Sorry you have to endure it.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 05:05 am
That type of arthritis seems to be common among lawyers.
I wonder why. Could it be the stress?
0 Replies