What are your favorite sources for political news

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 01:22 am
I suspect that most people who follow politics have their favorite sources for political news. I also suspect that many people have their own political biases. We political junkies get our political news from various sources. In the broadest sense, we political junkies get our political news from one or more of the following sources:
1. Newspaper/Print
2. Cable News television
3. Network television
4. Radio
5. Internet
6. Other

What are your favorite sources for your political news? Your answers can be broad and general. Or your answers can be very detailed and specific.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 24,304 • Replies: 73

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 02:10 am
PBS.

I guess that falls under network broadcasting, although they are not like NBC/CBS/ABC.
Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:55 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
PBS.

Although, I don't regularly watch PBS for my political news, I do occasionally watch it for my political news.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:17 am
My favorite CNN political news shows are:
1. "Cuomo Primetime" hosted by Chris Cuomo
2. "The Lead With Jake Tapper"

My favorite MSNBC political news shows are:
1. "The 11th Hour With Brian Williams"
2. "All In With Chris Hayes"
3. "The Rachel Maddow Show"
4. "Last Word w/Lawrence O'Donnell"
5. "MTP Daily" hosted by Chuck Todd

My favorite Network political news shows are:
1. "Fox News Sunday" hosted by Chris Wallace
2. "Meet The Press" hosted by Chuck Todd

Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:35 am
I also occasionally get my political news from other cable channels.
The other cable channels includes:

1. Link TV
2. Free Speech TV (FSTV)

Some of my favorite political news shows from these two channels includes:
1. "The David Pakman Show"
2. "The Thom Hartmann Program"
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:48 am
I do sometimes read (Online Internet) articles from:
1. (WAPO) Washington Post
2. (NYT) New York Times
3. Huffington Post
4. MSN
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 05:28 am
@Real Music,
Interesting how all your news shows are personality driven. That's not the case over here, all broadcast news, especially the BBC, has to be impartial, unbiased. That means our news shows are driven by content, not personality.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:21 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
That's not the case over here, all broadcast news, especially the BBC, has to be impartial, unbiased.

Oh nonsense. The BBC has proven itself a source of fake news. It's at least as bad as CNN.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:37 am
@oralloy,
You've got no idea what you're talking about. The BBC is forced to be impartial by law.

Quote:
Ensuring the impartiality of the BBC is a key priority for the Trust; it is essential to its independence that the BBC retains the public’s trust as an impartial purveyor of news and programming.

The BBC is required to deliver duly impartial news by the Royal Charter and Agreement and to treat controversial subjects with due impartiality. The Trust is committed to making sure that the BBC fulfils this obligation. One of the ways the Trust does so, is by commissioning reviews of specific subject areas. You can access these reviews using the links below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/editorial_standards/impartiality.html<br />

The fact that you think otherwise just shows you have no understanding of what impartiality means.

Fake news is something that is false, not something that Wotsit Hitler calls fake, or the product of your deranged imagination.

You really shouldn't comment on things you don't understand, youy just make yourself look even more stupid.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:49 am
Lists of news organizations seem to generally overlook Al Jazeera. I try to look in on it at least a few times a week.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 06:53 am
@edgarblythe,
It's on cable TV over here. Fox News and the Iranian Press TV have both had their licences withdrawn for failing to follow the impartiality guidelines for Broadcasters.

Nobody watched Fox anyway, too American, too parochial.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:00 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You've got no idea what you're talking about.

Yes I do. The BBC is a proven source of lies.

izzythepush wrote:
The BBC is forced to be impartial by law.

A law that the BBC freely ignores and that no one enforces.

Quote:
Ensuring the impartiality of the BBC is a key priority for the Trust; it is essential to its independence that the BBC retains the public’s trust as an impartial purveyor of news and programming.

The BBC is required to deliver duly impartial news by the Royal Charter and Agreement and to treat controversial subjects with due impartiality. The Trust is committed to making sure that the BBC fulfils this obligation. One of the ways the Trust does so, is by commissioning reviews of specific subject areas. You can access these reviews using the links below.

Nice propaganda. It doesn't change the reality that the BBC deliberately lies.

izzythepush wrote:
The fact that you think otherwise just shows you have no understanding of what impartiality means.

No, it shows that I am aware that the BBC willfully conveys lies in their broadcasts.

izzythepush wrote:
Fake news is something that is false, not something that Wotsit Hitler calls fake, or the product of your deranged imagination.

The BBC willfully makes up untrue claims.

izzythepush wrote:
You really shouldn't comment on things you don't understand, youy just make yourself look even more stupid.

I understand perfectly what I comment on. That you say telling the truth makes people look stupid reflects only on yourself.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:19 am
@oralloy,
You're incapable of reason, just denying something doesn't make it so.

I backed my claims up with evidence. You didn't, because you just think what you're told to think, so you don't know how to back up your ridiculous claims.

I'm not wasting any more time on you, your posts are so repetitive that I know what you're going to say before you do.

You don't understand what impartiality is, and you never will.

Know your limits.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:20 am
@Real Music,
NPR: My ultimate source which includes their wide spectrum of podcasts.

The Daily Show; John Oliver; Bill Maher;

Newspapers online:
NY Times (online: If money wasn't an issue, I'd subscribe to the paper);
CS Monitor; Washington Post; to name a few.

NO commercial news via cable or local or national network news. I try and go out of my way to not directly watch it. But of course, I'm exposed to these sources via the above mentioned political analyst/satire driven programs.

I also follow many news media outlets and news aggregates on social media: Twitter and Facebook.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Lists of news organizations seem to generally overlook Al Jazeera. I try to look in on it at least a few times a week.

I recently broke down and Liked their page on Facebook two weeks ago. Haven't seen much of their work on my news feed so far.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 07:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Is John Oliver News? I know he does in depth analysis, but I think it's more entertainment than news.

We have similar shows over here, The Last Leg, Mock the Week, Have I got News for you, and the Mash Report, but I wouldn't class them as news.

Lash

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 08:07 am
Truthdig, The Intercept, The Guardian, BBC; I cast a wary glance to CBS occasionally, I agree with Lee Camp, David Sirota, 85% of what Shaun King writes; even though he’s not a ‘news writer’, I’m influenced by the opinions of Noam Chomsky.

I compare opinion pieces / bias with RT and Al Jazeera. I like people on Twitter who live in areas like Iran to give their perspective on things happening there to compare to American-centric news delivery.

0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 08:14 am
I get my news and views from the internet for the most part unless something specific is going on like the election or an important hearing or situation. Since I leave a lot of links, I don't think I need to list them.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 08:30 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Is John Oliver News? I know he does in depth analysis, but I think it's more entertainment than news.

He doesn't do breaking news given it's not a live show and its only one day a week (Sunday). But yeah. He does cover news stories that are often overlooked and rarely covered in the mainstream press.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 08:44 am
@tsarstepan,
Here he is on Mock The Week.