17
   

What are your favorite sources for political news

 
 
tsarstepan
 
  4  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 08:57 am
@izzythepush,
No idea what that is. I'm referring to his HBO weekly show.
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
izzythepush
 
  1  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 09:02 am
@tsarstepan,
I know what you're referring to. I referred to Mock the Week earlier and showed a young John Oliver on it. I just thought you might be interested.

I take your point about the analysis, but I still wouldn't class his show as news, more topical entertainment. But hey that's just me, what do I know?
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 09:35 am
@Real Music,
I'm primarily a radio person. Always have been.

Podcasts follow closely.

I learn a lot from the panels on https://monocle.com . Not all of their programming is available by podcast so I try to catch them when they're being broadcast on CBC.

within the monocle group, I'm particularly fond of https://monocle.com/radio/shows/the-urbanist/

When I can I listen to CBC Overnight programming

Quote:
CBC OVERNIGHT features a schedule of exceptional programming curated from CBC Radio One programming and broadcasters around the world. It's your opportunity to hear different voices, stories and viewpoints. Current contributing broadcasters include the BBC World Service, Monocle, Radio Australia, Germany's Deutsche Welle, Public Radio International and Ireland's RTE.


I particularly like Deutsche Welle's African news features.

PRI pulls in good guests - https://www.pri.org/programs/the-world

__

I don't use the internet as a primary news source - I use the internet to research things that I'm curious about - where I'm looking for more facts. Surveys/polls interest me.

__

I watch tv extremely rarely - it is not a source of news for me at all. I sometimes go months between tv watching moments.

__

There are some magazines I look at that have online presences that I enjoy - again, rarely a main source, though nymag occasionally has good primary/breaking news.

__

Generally I follow CBC Radio One for breaking news - then follow it up with Reuters, Bloomberg, the Guardian and CBC News online.
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 09:37 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
CS Monitor


I have often found this source very interesting during active US political seasons.
oralloy
 
  -3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 09:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You're incapable of reason,

Nonsense.


izzythepush wrote:
just denying something doesn't make it so.

I don't deny that the BBC willfully publish lies. You're the one issuing denials here (and baseless denials at that).


izzythepush wrote:
I backed my claims up with evidence.

No, you linked to some baseless propaganda.


izzythepush wrote:
You didn't,

The BBC is infamous for airing a documentary about Amanda Knox that was filled with outright lies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVBRHbOBXDw


izzythepush wrote:
because you just think what you're told to think, so you don't know how to back up your ridiculous claims.

You are confused. The only person who meets this description is a certain extremely-pompous non-American poster who obsesses about American politics (and who isn't even present in this thread).


izzythepush wrote:
I'm not wasting any more time on you,

Of course not. You have no response to the facts that I post other than personal attacks.


izzythepush wrote:
your posts are so repetitive that I know what you're going to say before you do.

That's because I always tell the truth.


izzythepush wrote:
You don't understand what impartiality is, and you never will.

I understand it perfectly. And the dishonest and dishonorable BBC is anything but impartial.


izzythepush wrote:
Know your limits.

I do. My capabilities certainly are vast.
MontereyJack
 
  4  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:09 am
@oralloy,
oralloy says
Quote:

I do. My capabilities certainly are vast

so amply demonstrated here.
and usually wrong. As so amply demonstrated here.
tsarstepan
 
  2  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:12 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
CS Monitor


I have often found this source very interesting during active US political seasons.

It certainly has a most unusual pedigree.
oralloy
 
  -3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:14 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
and usually wrong. As so amply demonstrated here.

Stop lying. You can't point out a single thing that I am wrong about in this thread, and you can't point out a single thing that I'm wrong about in any other thread either.
MontereyJack
 
  4  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:24 am
@oralloy,
Nonsdense. That you have an exceedingly poor selective memory is not my fault.
ehBeth
 
  3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:28 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

It certainly has a most unusual pedigree.


yeah

had to kind of get past that

kind of like getting past my squeamishness to discover the very interesting political coverage and analysis at teenvogue
0 Replies
 
oralloy
 
  -3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:31 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Nonsdense. That you have an exceedingly poor selective memory is not my fault.

You are lying. That is why you aren't citing any of these supposed errors that you claim I've made.
izzythepush
 
  2  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:48 am
@oralloy,
If you want me to respond to any more of your posts I'm going to need your credit card details. You're not smart enough to warrant my time, so you're going to have to pay for it.
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 10:52 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
If you want me to respond to any more of your posts I'm going to need your credit card details.

You always run away when you finally realize that you aren't able to confront any of my facts.


izzythepush wrote:
You're not smart enough to warrant my time,

I'm a trillion times smarter than you are, for the record.
0 Replies
 
Sturgis
 
  3  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 11:24 am
@Real Music,
Various sources.

I check several newspapers daily, network news, local broadcast news, radio and a few internet forums/boards and at times, the websites of the politicians. For much of it, I then look further through internet searches on specific items (fact checking).

The only cable stuff I view regularly is C-SPAN (all 3) and al Jazeera, occasionally there are a few other cable stations I happen upon if hitting the wrong buttons or slow surfing the channels.
MontereyJack
 
  1  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:11 pm
@oralloy,
No. You lie.
oralloy
 
  -2  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:29 pm
@MontereyJack,
Funny how you cannot point to a single untrue thing that I've ever said.
0 Replies
 
ehBeth
 
  2  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 12:36 pm
@MontereyJack,
https://i.imgur.com/ilHPCP0.jpg
0 Replies
 
Real Music
 
  1  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 02:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Lists of news organizations seem to generally overlook Al Jazeera. I try to look in on it at least a few times a week.

I never watched Al Jazeera. I believe Al Jazeera use to be on Dish Network Satellite TV. I think that channel might no longer be on Dish Network. Dish Network currently do have other international channels. I personally don't watch RT, but Dish Network does air RT. Dish Network also airs China Global Television Network (CGTN).
Real Music
 
  1  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 03:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
NPR: My ultimate source which includes their wide spectrum of podcasts.
When I had SiriusXM radio in my car, I use to listen to the NPR channel, the POTUS channel, as well as a few other news channels. I have been considering re-subscribing to SiriusXM radio to get my XM radio re-activated in my car again.


Quote:
The Daily Show; John Oliver; Bill Maher;

I've seen all three of these shows. I never really cared for The Daily Show or the Bill Maher show. On the other hand, I do like the HBO series "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" I find the HBO series "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" to be funny, entertaining, and also insightful in regard to political news.
0 Replies
 
Real Music
 
  1  
Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:01 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I get my news and views from the internet for the most part unless something specific is going on like the election or an important hearing or situation. Since I leave a lot of links, I don't think I need to list them.

When I see something on the news and I want to find out more about that specific report or story, I will do a internet search to find out more about that report or story. I will then click on various links that come up from the search.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

T'Pring is Dead - Discussion by Brandon9000
Another Calif. shooting spree: 4 dead - Discussion by Lustig Andrei
Friends don't let friends fat-talk - Discussion by hawkeye10
Before you criticize the media - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Fatal Baloon Accident - Discussion by 33export
The Day Ferguson Cops Were Caught in a Bloody Lie - Discussion by bobsal u1553115
Robin Williams is dead - Discussion by Butrflynet
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 03/01/2021 at 02:03:53