What are your favorite sources for political news

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:09 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
I never watched Al Jazeera. I believe Al Jazeera use to be on Dish Network Satellite TV.

There was a thing about preventing al-Jazeera's English-language international feed from playing on US cable networks (I don't remember what the problem was), so they set up a special American channel just for the US.

The America-specific channel was indeed carried on Dish.

The America-specific version of their channel failed and went out of business however, so is now not available anywhere, Dish or otherwise.

The regular English-language international feed is still going strong and is available for free over the internet (YouTube I think, although I could be wrong), and is also available for free on Roku.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Podcasts follow closely.

I think I understand how Podcast works. Is Podcast live online streaming video?
"The Young Turks" is a live streaming video on youtube. I guess that might be considered podcast. I'm not sure.
Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:28 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I check several newspapers daily

Some say that print newspapers often provide more in depth comprehensive reporting over all other sources of news reporting.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:29 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Dish Network currently do have other international channels. I personally don't watch RT, but Dish Network does air RT. Dish Network also airs China Global Television Network (CGTN).

Dish has an international news package that includes France 24 and Euronews (both in standard definition only) for $5 a month. But you have to get a foreign language pack or the cricket (sport) channel before you are allowed to subscribe to the international news package.

The cricket channel is $15 a month. There are a few foreign language packages for $10 a month.

I used to have this just so I could watch France 24. But I dropped it and added STARZ once I got my Roku (which carries France 24 for free, and in high definition).

Dish also has a regular news pack for $10 a month, that has all the regular news channels that are already available plus BBC World News (standard definition only).

Since all the other channels in the pack are already available as part of most other packages, it essentially amounts to paying $10 a month just for BBC World News.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 04:30 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
A podcast is an episodic series of digital audio or video files which a user can download and listen to.

a favourites list from my favourite podcast compilation program

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcastplaylist/25-must-hear-podcasts-from-2017-1.4467543

one of the things I like about podcasts is that there are some great new dramas available in that format
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 09:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Interesting how all your news shows are personality driven. That's not the case over here, all broadcast news, especially the BBC, has to be impartial, unbiased. That means our news shows are driven by content, not personality.

American cable news shows can be personality driven and content driven at the same time. Yes it is true that many of the American cable news shows have political biases. Some more biased than others. Some less biased than others. Some are not biased at all. On the other hand, American broadcast Local news is generally always unbiased news reporting.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 1 Feb, 2018 11:01 pm
In no particular order:

www.freerepublic.com
www.drudgereport.com
www.breitbart.com
www.godlikeproductions.com
http://www.whatdoesitmean.com
www.townhall.com
www.rt.com

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2018 11:47 pm
I used to follow the news regularly. My primary and favorite source was the NY Times.

These days I've mostly lost interest. Presidents, senators, governors, mayors, etc., change but daily life pretty much remains the same.

If I want to know what's going on, I'll ask a NYC cab driver.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2018 02:40 am
@gungasnake,
gunga says:
Well, that explains a lot. Proof positive that a steady diet of rabid right fake reading rots your mind.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 12:46 pm
I occasionally read article from the (USA Today) newspaper
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 12:55 pm
I forgot Reuters and AP.
0 Replies

layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:18 pm
I will listen to any news outlet that aint packed to the gills with cheese-eaters. Unfortunately, that don't leave many to choose from.

It's "all cheese, all the time," with most of them, ya know?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 01:53 pm
And, now, for something a little different:

https://eurasianet.org

I can’t even vouch for it because I haven’t read it in a couple of years, but I appreciate variety. Thought someone else might.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:09 pm
By the way, a pearl from eurasianet.

The other day on Twitter, I watched a disagreement between Glenn Greenwald and Mark Cuban about online anonymity.

We’re already upon this further invasion of privacy.

https://eurasianet.org/s/kazakhstan-online-anonymity-ban-in-force-from-april
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:13 pm
@Lash,
Who the **** is "Kazakhstan," anyway?

Better question: Who even cares? Some shithole, no doubt.
Lash

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:30 pm
@layman,
Comparable to Detroit...

They do have drinkable water, so I guess that puts them ahead of the Flint, Michigan.

Who gives a **** about those shitholes?

Apparently, nobody in elected office.
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:34 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Apparently, nobody in elected office.

Except for the Honorable Donald J. Trump, ya mean, eh? He's mashin it down to the floorboard and revvin Motor City plumb UP, eh?
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:36 pm
@layman,
Speakin of the Motor City, the MC5 had it right, eh?

America First, Baby!
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:50 pm
@layman,
At least two downvotes already for this tune, eh? Anybody who would downvote a Chuck Berry tune eats cheese 24/7, know what I'm sayin?

I hope one of them wasn't you, eh, Lash? That would just break my po heart.
layman

Reply Sun 4 Feb, 2018 02:57 pm
@layman,
Hey, Lash, I gots me a little proposition for ya, eh?:

Whaddaya say!?